News Ticker

page thirteen.

page thirteen.

THE THIRTEENTH PAGE.
(by page thirteen.)

"So," Jade started, looking down at the crime scene and then at her companion, "Who's the suspect?" 
"A young adult named Jade," her companion started, flipping open a notebook and looking at the hastily scrawled words inside. It was therefore fortunate that Tate- possibly the most friendliest guy on the planet, lacking all possible flaws and therefore suspicion- missed the way that the lead detective briefly looked like a deer in headlights, but the moment passed quickly. "Twenty-six. British. Asian. Builds a brand on liking weird things. Short. Like, really short." 
"Is that... relevant?" 
"Oh, yeah, she is tiny. Cropped out of pictures just by virtue of her height-" 
"It just feel like it's really bringing up a sore spot at that point - sorry, carry on. What about their history?" 
"Ah, well, it's hard to track a shadow but we managed it," Tate said, flipping to a new page and recoiling from the details. Tate could track a shadow, because he was annoyingly good at everything he did. "Sounds like a spate of poor self-inserts in 2006, some attempts at original fiction following that, and then she disappeared. Writing characters on" - he sighed- "play-by-post roleplay for years. Never finished a story, and no attempt to ever try." 
"My word," Jade sighed. "Typical. Sounds like someone with a short attention span, but I just don't know anyone like that. Anyway." She stared at the sight in front of her, nudging it with her foot. "What's this?" 
"It looks like a work-in-progress." 
"It's gruesome," she argued. 
"I think it's a first draft?"
"Horrifying." 

---

bannerstakes2.png
check it out here!

A prestigious painting has gone missing from a London gallery.
Authorities suspect it's an inside job. They're not wrong.

Retired thief Cas King is back for one reason only- revenge. But between a missing thief syndicate, rusty skills, a shifty buyer,  and the new threat of someone replacing him in the criminal underworld, he needs to do a lot more than that to prove his worth.

---

"What could possibly have inspired such a heinous act?" Jade questioned, shaking her head in disappointment. 
"It looks like" - another flutter of pages beside her, as another page was found; Jade wondered genuinely how much writing Tate had done, which she had done absolutely nothing, as was her style - "a history of studying crime, some preference for interesting characters, and a penchant for setting stories in the UK. This is original fiction," he added, "she said, and I quote, 'I just haven't read Harry Potter recently and I've forgotten everything, sorry xoxo.'" 
Jade nodded. "Yes, that seems logical. Well, I think we need to leave this place for forensics. Let's go to the archive, Cooper," she decided, stepping carefully over everything and sticking her hands in her pockets, because she had read somewhere that this was what cool people did. "I have a feeling it's going to turn up there and we need to be the first ones on the scene."

--
dw y'all tate is my own character 
bex provided 'the thirteenth page' 

Edited by pirate grumpy cat
  • Like 4

yaaassss jade this SOUNDS SO GOOD I'm so hype to read it :elmofire:

tell me more

1. what's the inspiration behind the character names, Cas and Tate are sPICY
2. how long do you think this will be, or are you kind of just going with whatever comes and rolling with it?
3. what are you most excited to write in this ? :hug:

@magnifique 

i am also hype to read it bc it implies that i have written it T____T i will answer ur questions tho 

what's the inspiration behind the character names, Cas and Tate are sPICY
i think this must be an RP thing because the first thing i came up with was everyone's names lmaooo. tate is an old RP character of mine, and @beyond the rain asked me to write my WJ in a very old style of mine (i once had a graphics gallery written like a detective story in like 2012, started an awkward trend, and got told it was distracting looool) and i was like, 'i need a child who is absolutely perfect to be my foil,' and tate is like, frustratingly perfect. when i named him tho, it was because i 1. wanted a name that sounded all-american and 2. wanted a name with an obscure yet perfect meaning. tate means 'cheerful.' i have never managed to write him unhappy, angry or even moody, he's the worst. if he turns up in HS, panic, because i think he's the only person smart enough to solve an entire crime by virtue of kindness. 

cas' name sat in my head for MONTHS like before hpft, lmao, i ran into a really different variation- different surname, in fact- at work, and i was like, "oh shit that's a protagonist." and then when i was drafting up high stakes, i just dropped the name in lmao. and then i changed the surname, because it suited him more; cas would love to be king lmao but he's more like court jester ) : 

how long do you think this will be, or are you kind of just going with whatever comes and rolling with it?
scrivener says 12 chapters! no idea how long those chapters will be, but i guess that makes it novella size? but yeah, 12 chapters, if i don't end up combining or having to split things up

unfortunately, because heists involve like, actually knowing what's going on, i had to plan everything out well in advance of writing- great bc i have not suffered Writer's Block with this, but terrible, because i had to plan something and i h8 doing that, would love to go full pantser* one day

what are you most excited to write in this ?
i never got to write a lot of action scenes in RP or at least, if i have, they're choppy (you know the feel - you can't make the hit, so you have to stop beforehand and just Wait and you lose momentum), so i am excited that i get to control the flow of my own drama

also banter, i love bad comedy and ridiculously witty characters \o/ 

*what a hilariously awkward phrasing 

Edited by page thirteen.
  • Like 1

1. When is the Czerny/Albus fic coming? 

2. Seeing as you remember nothing about the HP fics, are you relying on headcanons? Are you inspired by any character vibes? Do you plan on inserting OC's into the HP verse? 

3. Are there any genres that you haven't written yet? Any that you will never write? 

4.What inspires you to write...I realise that question is very big and very vague, what about writing a plot? 

5. How many twists and turns will there be in HS? Or is it a straight path kind of heist? 

@beyond the rain ah we meet again  

1. When is the Czerny/Albus fic coming?
NEVER HOW DARE U EVEN THINK
idk like spring 2021 if i ever bother to do it*
also does it have to be hp who knows 

* it would be safe to start it after i have finished HS so that's more like a posting deadline than an actual planning deadline 

2. Seeing as you remember nothing about the HP fics, are you relying on headcanons? Are you inspired by any character vibes? Do you plan on inserting OC's into the HP verse?
i am basically relying on vague intuition, and maybe i'll re-read the books but the copied i own are BEAT. order of the phoenix is missing the first chapter and the last three. i do not remember the ending. so i would have to rebuy them, which kind of rules out a lot of canon characters. so it would be next gen, where i can be free with my vibes
i am only inspired by the canon characters- no rp characters here, because that'd be weird- but also because they have their own histories, etc, light as they are
also yes of course, everyone must be an OC because it's fun to name characters stupid stuff and be like, "i don't know what to tell you, they're wizards, man" 

3. Are there any genres that you haven't written yet? Any that you will never write?
i mean, anything kind of sweet or fluffy or angsty is out - i have written these in RP but i don't think that counts loool. so i should probably explore that more. also, i have a lot of focus on platonic/familial relationships over romantic, so there's that. 
i don't think i'd ever write horror but that's because i am fundamentally not a scary person :(

4.What inspires you to write...I realise that question is very big and very vague, what about writing a plot?
i don't know 😞 in hindsight, i have no idea how i even managed to write out a plot for HS, i thiiiiink i thought of a genre i wanted to write/loved to read, and figured if i wanted to read it, i must write it, and then i built outwards.
this is very vague because honestly, the more i consider it, the more i realise i don't remember how i wrote the plot for HS at all and it's really tripping me out omg 

i will say the hardest part is that i have to resolve all of my own plot holes. it is particularly annoying that i can't be like "a crime happens" and someone else jumps in and goes "here's how". i have to be the other person. how rude is that  m8

5. How many twists and turns will there be in HS? Or is it a straight path kind of heist?
one day i will be good enough to handle a full heist enough to have a bunch of twists, but i suspect this is a straight path: problem seem, problem solved, sort of style. 

Edited by page thirteen.
messed up my formatting lads
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

jade honestly your heist story sounds amazing and i'll have to read it asap because i saw you posted the first chapter. all the characters are so vivid in the way you describe them here so i'm pretty sure they'll be equally amazing in the story. are there any books or tv/movies that inspired this? (asking for a friend but the friend is me because i'm a sucker for heist stories so there)

Hi Jade!  Hope you're doing well.  Your Writer's Journal is supes cool, and I can't wait to see your various projects come to fruition.  I saw that you posted the first chapter of your heist story, and I have to check it out.  Who doesn't like heisting?  How do you approach writing (and by extension, planning) something as complex as a heist, in general?  I could never do that and I am so impressed.

Hi Jade! Your writer's journal is amazing and so creative! I really enjoyed reading it 😋 I will definitely be reading the heist story because I'm writing one for NaNoWriMo this year and need to consume aaaall the content!

I have some questions for you!

1. Can you tell us a bit about your fanfiction journey? When did you first discover it?

2. What fics are you currently reading?

@pirate grumpy cat

jade honestly your heist story sounds amazing and i'll have to read it asap because i saw you posted the first chapter. all the characters are so vivid in the way you describe them here so i'm pretty sure they'll be equally amazing in the story. are there any books or tv/movies that inspired this?

first of all thank u i am v proud of my weird character gang 
aye cap'n and chapter 2 should turn up... sometime in the next week? who can really say? not me tbh
there's no direct comparison (i.e., the heist is all mine, because otherwise it would be pretty boring lmao) buuut these are the things that i got into whilst trying to work out how tf to write this:

heist society - ally carter 
the lies of locke lamora - someone? scott lynch, maybe?
gallagher girls - ally carter (idk what to tell you these girls are great)
renegades - marissa meyer 
i also watched ocean's twelve and four episodes of hustle :|
and i spent a lot of time on tv tropes 

also!! i made a playlist. i write to music so i have a lot of great tunes to listen to and generally ~inspire to start thinking Criminal 

@Raspberry_cordelia

Hi Jade!  Hope you're doing well.  Your Writer's Journal is supes cool, and I can't wait to see your various projects come to fruition.  I saw that you posted the first chapter of your heist story, and I have to check it out.  Who doesn't like heisting?  How do you approach writing (and by extension, planning) something as complex as a heist, in general?  I could never do that and I am so impressed.

hello!! thank you!! (i am doing well yes lmao) 

i have thought about this, and i have realised the only way it worked was to think backwards: i knew what the crime was, and then i started thinking of how i could pull it off with the characters i'd created whilst making sure everyone had a specific skill (i had the characters before most of the crime lmaooo, but i really liked the gang i made and i wanted to showcase what they could do!). i also don't have a lot of room for freestyling, though, because i have to hit foreshadowing points, etc., so i can't just drop a new scene in. this has been great for a first project (no writer's block, can u believe) 

also, it really helped bc as i said above, i've never actually finished a project bc i never knew how to finish them, but because i have the ending so well mapped out, i don't really worry about it! v pleasing for me 

@victoria_anne

Hi Jade! Your writer's journal is amazing and so creative! I really enjoyed reading it <strong>😋</strong> I will definitely be reading the heist story because I'm writing one for NaNoWriMo this year and need to consume aaaall the content!

I have some questions for you!

1. Can you tell us a bit about your fanfiction journey? When did you first discover it?

2. What fics are you currently reading?

omg yes i would love to read your heist fic too! this pleases me greatly! i couldn't find a lot on the archives (am i looking in the wrong place) and so i will v much like it if there's just a load of people running around, committing complex crimes lmao. as for ur qs - 

1. okay funny (not really) story. i was on the internet at an age that is like, less than 13, and i don't remember WHAT i was searching for on google images, but i found a banner for a geocities page of remus/hermione fics, and i was like, "what on earth is this?" i actually remember the first fic i read- a time-travel AU LOL- and it had a sequel, amazingly. but i thought ALL fanfic was just remus/hermione (this was on ff.net) until i discovered the browse function and then, honestly, i got lost in the realm of reading fic

this was around the time when i think the evil overlord list was around ("101 things i will not do if i am ever an evil overlord" or something like that) and 'ten things you didn't know about ____' fics were popular. and i was like, mate i can do that i'm like, such a good writer, obviously. i had about a million projects that i started and never finished, which is a little tragic, but when i stopped writing fic, i scrubbed my ff.net page, left one finished project up, and peaced out :| i started RPing around this time, which probably contributed (can't be forced to finish something if the writing never ends /bigbraintime)

then, obviously, quarantine happened, and i was stumbling around the internet, no RP life in sight, thinking, 'wow maybe i could go back to writing properly' and now we're here ig 

2. i am reading raising helena (bex), going away (julie) and witch slap (maria) was the first thing i read on the archive, but otherwise, i am still kind of finding my feet in terms of what i'm enjoying, which, looking at these titles, appear to be slightly comedic coming-of-age stories. also (and this is my own issue) i really like finished fic because i am an impatient gal, so if u have recommendations for complete things with bants but also emotions, i mean, i'll take it, because i am woefully bereft 

Edited by page thirteen.
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

THE THIRTEENTH PAGE.
(by page thirteen.)

"What do you mean they've struck again?" There was no denying that Jade had had a few rough nights on the force, but this was new: a surprise piece out of nowhere, right when she had started to breathe easy.
"I mean," said Tate patiently. "Middle of the night, they've just... Well, if you'll take a look..." He looked away from the scene in front of them, apparently making his feelings known by looking distinctly tragic.
Approaching tentatively, Jade wished, not for the first time, that someone else would take over. Instead, she pulled back the curtain dramatically. "My word!" 
"Yes," agreed Tate.
"Well, I can't believe this has happened," Jade decided. "And here, in this place. I don't know if I'll ever sleep again."

--

bannersilver.png
check it out here!

an examination of what it means to be the golden boy 

--

"How did this happen, Cooper?" she demanded, eyes still fixed on the sight in front of them. She might never look away again. And how would she sleep, knowing this existed? 
"Well, there was another note." He flipped to another page in his notebook. "It says, 'this was a challenge entry.'" 
"That's all?" 
"'And I love film noir, it suits my vibe perfectly,'" he continued, ignoring her remark. He looked up at her expectantly. 
"Well, I just don't know where that idea would come from," Jade muttered from her spot underneath a lamppost, collar of her heavy jacket turned up against the cold and the demons of the city, all of them coming out at night to make their mark. "Just seems unfeasible to me." She sighed, pulling away from the scene and heading out into the dark, adding over her shoulder, "Keep up, Cooper. We've got places to be." 

• 3 months later...

THE THIRTEENTH PAGE.
(by page thirteen.)

"You're late," muttered Tate Cooper, looking at Jade over his small notebook.
"I was combing my lockdown hair," Jade returned. "What's the scoop, Coop?" 
"You're not going to enjoy it, but - well -" Tate nodded at the crime scene, a grimace already on his face and his pen poised to take any relevant notes. "Maybe it's best you just look."
Jade turned, took in the scene, and gave the heaviest, loudest sigh of her life. "I cannot believe," she announced, one hand on her temple, the other over her heart, "that they've only gone and written fluff."

bannerpomegranate.png
check it out here!

I think it is perfectly logical to suggest that Asian grandmothers are like fey, 
always tricking you into joining them with food.

"This is a distinct turn from their previous MO," Jade muttered, affixing the project with a disgusted glare. "Any hints, Cooper?" 
"Oh yeah, but you won't like it-"
"I never do at this rate, Cooper. I could have been doing origami right now."
"Lockdown really has hit you hard," Tate agreed, his voice wondrous, before he returned to his notebook. "They've said, and I'm really pulling this directly from them now, 'I should not have random conversations with people that inspire whole oneshots out of nowhere. Also, I love my grandma, thank you for your time.'" 
Jade frowned. She narrowed her eyes. She eyed the project again. Finally, she said, "Lockdown really got 'em good too."