so first, i did a thing where i ranked both the song as a whole and my favorite lyric from each song, because i wanted to. i already did evermore, now i'm going to do 1989 even though i've already ranked it in my full taylor swift rankings. amusingly, some stuff has shifted position, and when i do everything together, i'm sure that some stuff will just be moved down in general because two new albums.
by favorite lyric
- the water filled my lungs / i screamed so loud but no one heard a thing (clean)
- the rest of the world was black and white / but we were in screaming color (out of the woods)
- screaming, crying, perfect storms / i can make all the tables turn (blank space) -> this is difficult and i keep changing my mind
- we show off our different scarlet letters / trust me, mine is better (new romantics)
- love's a fragile little flame / it could burn out (i know places)
- whispers turned to talking / and talking turned to screams (wonderland)
- band-aids don't fix bullet holes (bad blood)
- long drive / could end in burning flames or paradise (style)
- nothing lasts forever but this is getting good now (wildest dreams)
- people like me are gone forever / when you say goodbye (all you had to do was stay)
- skies grew darker, currents swept you out again / and you were just gone and gone (this love)
- took our broken hearts, put them in a drawer (welcome to new york)
- i wish we could go back / and remember what we were fighting for (i wish you would)
- stand there like a ghost / shaking from the rain (how you get the girl)
- no proof, one touch / but you felt enough (you are in love)
- i never miss a beat / i'm lightning on my feet (shake it off)
by song overall
- blank space
- out of the woods
- new romantics
- welcome to new york
- wildest dreams
- i know places
- all you had to do was stay
- how you get the girl
- i wish you would
- shake it off
- this love
- bad blood
- you are in love
- out of the woods and blank space swapped places, but they're basically tied anyway.
- new romantics and wonderland leap-frogged wildest dreams and welcome to new york (which also traded places)
- i know places, all you had to do was stay, how you get the girl, and i wish you would all got jumbled up.
- this love went bumped bad blood down.
- clean, blank space, and out of the woods reign supreme here, they hold the top three for both song and lyric.
- also, my top three lyrics invoke screaming, and there's a lot a lot of fire and water imagery.
- my favorite bad blood lyric is great, the song overall is not my fave.