News Ticker

Archive Issues/Bugs

scooterbug8515

Hi there. I know these were from over a month ago but I have a review that was left on one of my stories back in July Here that has been double posted. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I’ve just submitted a one-shot into the queue, but the archive would only let me select Harry Potter Universe for the fandom — I wanted to specify Next Gen, but the option didn’t come up. I’ve submitted through my phone numerous times and not had this issue before, so I suspect it may be a new bug? :/

@apondinabluebox I know sometimes the selector can be finicky (particularly when adding HP). I’ve checked your story and I can edit next gen into the story shell. Would you like me to do that before it’s validated (assuming it hasn’t been since I checked) or would you rather check if it’s still an issue post-validation? 

• 1 month later...

We got this feedback about the new archive theme:

Would it be possible to turn off featured stories in the chapters? I don't want to sound ungrateful and I love the new theme. Great job staff! It's a bit hard to read with the wall of text on the side though.

I'll look at that (and a few other formatting things that I don't like) this afternoon/evening. ^_^

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! I noticed an issue with a couple of the selectors when adding a story. Specifically, whenever I select a character(s), theme(s), and inclusivity, then preview my story, those selections never appear, and those categories in the story summary appear as blank. When I started noticing this happening for new stories I'm trying to add, I went back and looked at a few fics I just had validated/published, and yep - same exact categories are blank and I just hadn't noticed it happening the first time around. Has anyone else encountered this problem, or know what the issue might be? Thank you!

• Like 1

Am I allowed to use the HPFT logo symbol within a story (assuming proper sizing) and if so, whom would I credit?

PS On Manage My Stories Page, there is now a bolded number (and the word complete is also bolded.) What do those numbers represent? 

image.png.50bbd63d232fa1272455279907897866.png

Edited by potionspartner

It’s a typo in the code for the new themes - it’ll be fixed ASAP, sorry!

:thanks: You guys are rock stars.

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2019 at 9:02 AM, potionspartner said:

Am I allowed to use the HPFT logo symbol within a story (assuming proper sizing) and if so, whom would I credit?

PS On Manage My Stories Page, there is now a bolded number (and the word complete is also bolded.) What do those numbers represent? 

image.png.50bbd63d232fa1272455279907897866.png

We don't want confusion about whether or not something is officially representing the site, so we're going to say no on the logo - sorry.

The bolded numbers are the number of reviews - we're in the process of transitioning to a "likes" system. I'll see about moving them over. The "complete" isn't bolded on every skin - it's just a stylistic thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is necessarily a bug or not, but whenever I click into a story shell with the new themes, I can no longer see what story "type" it is -- i.e. if it's a novel or short story or microfiction, etc. Just thought I'd bring this up as I liked seeing that so I would know what I was in for, especially if it was an incomplete story :) 

Did the archive change to only having two themes? I was using one (idk the name of it, but it was the dark blue one with the manage account link in the top left corner) and then when I had to log in again, it was changed to a different one. I went to look and there were two theme names: eMagazine and Frosted. Just checking to make sure nothing went wrong on my end.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lost_Robin said:

Did the archive change to only having two themes? I was using one (idk the name of it, but it was the dark blue one with the manage account link in the top left corner) and then when I had to log in again, it was changed to a different one. I went to look and there were two theme names: eMagazine and Frosted. Just checking to make sure nothing went wrong on my end.

Yep! The other themes would take some tweaking to work with a couple of the changes we made, and I'd rather put my energy toward fixing the bugs in these two and maybe then working on a third that's cooler toned.

• Thanks 1

hi, me again! As I've scrolled through members' author pages, I've noticed that the button to advance the page when there are more than 25 stories an author has written is not at the bottom of the page, but somewhere in the middle instead, for some reason? (screenshot in spoiler) 

Spoiler

1832173572_ScreenShot2019-12-17at3_21_42PM.thumb.png.f8334013af8435bd409c0c6658901460.png

When I check for this feature on my own AP it shows up at the bottom like it's supposed to, so I'm not sure what is happening here but just thought I'd let y'all know it's happening!

7 minutes ago, MadiMalfoy said:

hi, me again! As I've scrolled through members' author pages, I've noticed that the button to advance the page when there are more than 25 stories an author has written is not at the bottom of the page, but somewhere in the middle instead, for some reason? (screenshot in spoiler) 

Reveal hidden contents

1832173572_ScreenShot2019-12-17at3_21_42PM.thumb.png.f8334013af8435bd409c0c6658901460.png

When I check for this feature on my own AP it shows up at the bottom like it's supposed to, so I'm not sure what is happening here but just thought I'd let y'all know it's happening!

ohh hello! i also experience this frequently! not just on APs, but also when scrolling through the recently updated, where i always see it in the middle of the page. i thought it was just my browser 😂

• Like 1

Hello, there, lovely staffers/admins! I have a question... :rose:

On 11/19/2019 at 2:42 AM, abhorsen. said:

we're in the process of transitioning to a "likes" system

Is this still a wip or is the transition completed? :couch: Because I noticed that at the moment likes aren't summed but averaged (and on stories that were already rated in the old system this has the effect of lowering the total instead of increasing it when a story/chapter is liked...) and I was wondering if it was something you are aware of and still working on or if it's just something that escaped your notice :whistling:

Thank you so much! :hug:

• Like 1

@Felpata_Lupin - Still a WIP - it should be fixed by the end of December. ^_^

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Guest Noelle Zingarella

Hi there! Some of you may remember all my issues learning to use the archive and format my stories (thank you especially to @abhorsen. for walking me through how to work with them, and to all the amazing validators who put up with my obsessive editing).

I wanted to ask about a smol issue that I am still having with the earlier chapters of Moonlight before I learned how to strip the formatting from the block of text when pasting it. For some reason, the font on my earlier chapters is stuck in something (maybe georgia?) while everything else is in Helvetica. I have tried deleting all the text and repasting using the strip-formatting trick, but it still shows up as something besides Helvetica. Is there a way for me to reset the font to the Helvetica default?

Here+ is a link to one of the chapters where I am having the issue.

Edited by Noelle Zingarella

4 minutes ago, Noelle Zingarella said:

Hi there! Some of you may remember all my issues learning to use the archive and format my stories (thank you especially to @abhorsen. for walking me through how to work with them, and to all the amazing validators who put up with my obsessive editing).

I wanted to ask about a smol issue that I am still having with the earlier chapters of Moonlight before I learned how to strip the formatting from the block of text when pasting it. For some reason, the font on my earlier chapters is stuck in something (maybe georgia?) while everything else is in Helvetica. I have tried deleting all the text and repasting using the strip-formatting trick, but it still shows up as something besides Helvetica. Is there a way for me to reset the font to the Helvetica default?

Here+ is a link to one of the chapters where I am having the issue.

Went into the chapter to check. If you go into the html itself you can take out the font - it's the highlighted part below. I'd recommend just copying the html into a doc, doing a find & replace where:

• find: <p style="font-family: -webkit-standard;">
  • replace: <p>

and then putting it back into the html box. (Sorry, I know it's a bit of a pain!)

599815376_ScreenShot2020-02-04at9_40_34PM.thumb.png.1aa96a2966b248e0cea6db02075b834f.png

I'd forgotten all about it in the meantime but I just remembered the confirmation email for the Archives shows the password you just entered, which I feel is... wrong?

Not that I'm a security nut or that I believe someone's going to steal my password or wtv, I'm just saying that seeing that email as a new member didn't inspire a lot of confidence - it freaked me out a little to see my password spelled out like that.

Edited by tatapb

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, victoria_anne said:

I had a read on the archives but I couldn't find it written anywhere, but I was wondering what the rule for writing dialogue from one of the movies is? I think it was 3 lines on the HPFF archives, is that the same rule here? 😊

At least 90% of the story must be original whereas 10% of the material can be non-original, as long as it is credited to the right people/instances. However, I'd avoid using as much Disney as you can (at all, if possible, especially if the lines are lengthy), however, if it's a pop culture reference it should be okay.

Does that help?

6 hours ago, Ineke said:

Does that help?

It does, thank you 🤗 it’s lines from the Fantastic Beasts films that I had in mind!

• Like 1