News Ticker

Ask a Staffer

WriteYourHeartOut

Can you give a little more detail? My inclination would be to say it would require an M rating with a substance abuse advisory, but if it's just a passing mention and drugs don't really enter in the story otherwise, that's not necessarily the case.

It's a boggart scene and one character's boggart is somebody telling them their mother has died of a drug overdose and while it's not said directly, the implication is that the mother is an addict. The mother doesn't appear in the story.

Thank you!

If it's just one vague mention, you don't need a substance abuse advisory. It's on the edge of a T vs. an M rating - if you don't have anything else that would cause the story to be rated M, feel free to send me the excerpt and I can tell you for sure. :)

Thanks a million. I'll probably leave it at an M rating, since the story is a novel length and I think there are a few other things that are probably borderline.

Hi! Okay, on the archive feedback post it mentioned the in-text graphic rule would be a picspam of 500X750 or 2 400X300 images. Is this the official rule? I couldn't find it on the actually archive to be sure.

Yep! It's in the site guidelines here. :)

Graphics: Authors are permitted to include up to one graphic in their story summaries (no larger than 700px x 150px). Authors are also permitted to include either one picspam (500px x 750px or smaller) OR up to two additional graphics in each chapter (each 400px x 300px or smaller). Authors may only use graphics that they have made themselves or graphics that they have express permission from the artist to use, and must credit each graphic, even those which they make themselves. Use of an artist’s work without their permission or failure to credit an artist’s work may lead to consequences including suspension from the site and/or removal of Certified Author status (if applicable).

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a banner question.  I'm in the process of uploading my novel and I have a gorgeous banner that Lady Asphodel made for me.  :D

However, I realized that I'd added the Dobby Award graphic to it from my win last year.  (Let's not get into exactly HOW LONG it took me to add that little part to the banner.)  Anyway, I was wondering if it would be okay to use a banner that had an award from another site on our HPFT archives?

Thanks!

That's a great question! It's perfectly okay to show awards a story won on other sites in your banner or story summary.  8)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! A quick question: first, how do you find out your HPFF author ID number? As I was (and I guess am) a member of HPFF I tried to find it but couldn't.

Secondly- I don't know what the situation in terms of relations with HPFF at the moment, is it important to migrate stories over onto this archive? i.e, is it easier to do so for reviewers? Have people essentially abandoned the archives over at that site? I was just wondering as I've been so out of the loop and only have a small sense of what's been going on.

Hi! A quick question: first, how do you find out your HPFF author ID number? As I was (and I guess am) a member of HPFF I tried to find it but couldn't.

If you go to the URL of your author page at HPFF, there's a (probably) six digit number after showuid=. That's your ID number. :)  (Also, yours is 157417 - I just checked. :P)

Secondly- I don't know what the situation in terms of relations with HPFF at the moment, is it important to migrate stories over onto this archive? i.e, is it easier to do so for reviewers? Have people essentially abandoned the archives over at that site? I was just wondering as I've been so out of the loop and only have a small sense of what's been going on.

It depends a lot on the person. I know that some people have pretty much stopped posting/updating over there entirely, some have actually deleted everything on their accounts, and others are still using it regularly. Most of that actually predates the HPFT archive, which just launched this month - a lot of people have been using AO3 and/or FFnet as well since our forums opened. As a general rule, though, I haven't seen a lot of people say that they won't review a given archive, and some will just x-post the review everywhere it's posted. :)  Does that make sense?

Howdy! So...what I think you're referring to is the number needed to link to your HPFF Author Page in profile settings? If so, just log on to your HPFF account (or otherwise find your Author Page on the site). The URL should be something like:

http://www.harrypotterfanfiction.com/viewuser.php?showuid=XXXXXX

and those numbers that appear after the equal sign are your HPFF ID.

First off, HPFT and HPFF are not affiliated even though many of our members were formerly members of the archives, forums, or both at HPFF. Though we certainly encourage people to post as many of their stories as possible on our awesome archive ( :) ) there is not an urgent need that we are aware of to migrate stories from HPFF. Some authors here have chosen not to post on HPFF anymore and/or to remove their stories from that archive, many have not. Likewise, many reviewers will review anywhere that an author/requester posts or designates - many prefer to review only on certain archives. It's purely a personal choice for both author and reviewer to make.

Is a writing challenge considered "finished" if no one participated in it past its deadline? And does the challenge creator have to make a post about it in the "Challenge Hall of Fame"?

Thank you!

Is a writing challenge considered "finished" if no one participated in it past its deadline? And does the challenge creator have to make a post about it in the "Challenge Hall of Fame"?

Thank you!

It would indeed be considered finished. Your challenge is still in the Holding Area in case you had granted any informal extensions, but if not and no one participated you do not have to make a post in the Hall of Fame. Just PM me to let me know and I can delete it for you, rendering you free to post a new challenge if you'd like.

Hi :) I have another question:

It's actually a silly technical question. How do you create a link? As in convert the long address bar into a small pretty link to click on? I'm not great with coding.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

EDIT: Just popping in to let you know that I went back and made your link I found as small and pretty as I could :)

Hi :) I have another question:

It's actually a silly technical question. How do you create a link? As in convert the long address bar into a small pretty link to click on? I'm not great with coding.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

Hi there. That's not a silly question at all :) The code for links are:

[url=yourlink]yourtext[/url] 

Hey staffers, I have a question--

I was wondering when the winning header and icon will be put up? Or if there will be another call for submissions, etc. :)

^

Stay tuned, Renee. An announcement will be forthcoming in the near future.

If you click on your name in the author list on HPFT, and then look at the url, it's the number at the end of it.

e.g. the url of my author's page is this: http://archive.hpfanfictalk.com/viewuser.php?uid=19, so my HPFT author number is 19 :)

(Yours is 83 - I just looked it up ;))

Hi, thanks for that :) I thought it might be that but when I put 83 into my profile here nothing happened :P

EDIT: Never mind, I just saw the archive button under my raven :) Thank you!

Okay, HAI! Like, literally right after NaNo I took a trip into the unknowns of the Archive and I found myself tumbling down a rabbit hole of holy crap, what am I doing? But I did it and I submitted my first story and I was very excited! And I checked back every day to see if it was validated. I think that was on the 30th or the 1st.

So, yesterday I got a little concernicus that it had been like a full week and nothing so I contacted a validator. After that, my story magically (haha!) said that it had been validated so I'm all like WOOHOO! But then someone said they couldn't read it and we were super confused.

Well, I log in today and Awesome Validator Laura had done some digging and said my story had been rejected on the 1st for having an advisory warning on an A-rated story and that I should have received an e-mail or notification. I went through both of my e-mail accounts (because I do not keep track of what I sign up with) and found nothing, nor did I find any notification of any sort anywhere.

So, onto the main event, the QUESTIONS!

1) Why did I not get the aforementioned notification?

2) Why does it say validated if it is not and if it is why is it unreadable?

3) My advisory was for 'sexual content' and the sexual content being very, very PG kissing, which is why I have the A-rating. Do I not need that advisory for kissing or should I change my rating?

I do apologize if this post belongs in the Bugs/Issues thread!

I can message you the email address you registered with if that'll help but I did find that the archive sent a rejection email for the chapter in question (the validator email address also gets an email with every rejection so it at least went there).

Our archive has two types of validated: story and chapter. When you're on your manage stories page it'll show the story title and validated y/n. That's just saying that the story shell is viewable. There's a clickable link that says "Show chapters" which you have to click to show the individual chapters and their validation status.

After reading Aph's rejection note, I'd just remove the advisory and resubmit.

Ninja-ed by Rose, but posting anyway, because I think I've got the issue with the chapter itself sorted. :P

It was rejected because A-rated stories shouldn't have advisories at all. The kissing depicted would have been totally fine at that rating, but the references to sex just bumps it up to a very tame T. I'm sorry if there was any confusion about that!

At any rate, it's validated now. I bumped the rating to T, and I've also added a Fred II/Teddy tag to the archive and assigned it to your story. You should have gotten an email notifying you that it had been validated - if you didn't or have any other questions, let me know. <3