News Ticker

Ask a Staffer

WriteYourHeartOut

hi there! ^_^ i've gotten several of the same review from the same person on a few stories, and was wondering if someone could delete them? no rush on these - i know you guys are swamped right now ❤️ 

home is where the heart is (ch 1): 12
cruel summer (ch 1): 1 | 2 

On 3/22/2022 at 3:18 PM, dreamshadow said:

hi there! ^_^ i've gotten several of the same review from the same person on a few stories, and was wondering if someone could delete them? no rush on these - i know you guys are swamped right now ❤️ 

home is where the heart is (ch 1): 12
cruel summer (ch 1): 1 | 2 

should be all set now ❤️

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

hello hello, me again :P

i have a couple of one-shots i'd like to merge into a story collection, but i don't want to lose the reviews on either of the stories. is there a way for me to do this, or would one of you lovely archive staffers be able to help me out? 

12 hours ago, dreamshadow said:

hello hello, me again :P

i have a couple of one-shots i'd like to merge into a story collection, but i don't want to lose the reviews on either of the stories. is there a way for me to do this, or would one of you lovely archive staffers be able to help me out? 

yep - just send me a dm/pm with links to the stories and what you want done with them! 💖

• Love 1

could we get a kittenheart emoji?

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Love 3

• 1 month later...

What is the ideal size for an FFT profile header?

Sometimes on the archive when I copy and paste a chapter into the box and preview it, everything is black or grey and you can't see it. Is there a way to remove this without copying from another source?

2 hours ago, Sapphire_Skies said:

Sometimes on the archive when I copy and paste a chapter into the box and preview it, everything is black or grey and you can't see it. Is there a way to remove this without copying from another source?

i think you'll want to paste without formatting! you can do that either by using ctrl + shift + v (or command + shift + v if you're on a mac), or by clicking either of the buttons that look like keyboards (one has a microsoft word icon on it and if you hover it should say 'Paste from Word', the other has a text icon on it and if you hover it should say 'Paste as Plain Text'). a popup will appear in a new tab, you can paste your chapter, and then click insert and it should populate the story text box with your chapter! one thing to note is you'll have to go back and add any formatting like italics if you do this.

if that works, great! if that's not the problem, let us know and we'll look into it again!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lostinthelightss said:

i think you'll want to paste without formatting! you can do that either by using ctrl + shift + v (or command + shift + v if you're on a mac), or by clicking either of the buttons that look like keyboards (one has a microsoft word icon on it and if you hover it should say 'Paste from Word', the other has a text icon on it and if you hover it should say 'Paste as Plain Text'). a popup will appear in a new tab, you can paste your chapter, and then click insert and it should populate the story text box with your chapter! one thing to note is you'll have to go back and add any formatting like italics if you do this.

if that works, great! if that's not the problem, let us know and we'll look into it again!

Thanks! crtl shift v didnt work but the keyboard thing did (though I didn't get a popup). 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, staffers.  While trying to add a new chapter (Chapter Eight) to my story The Crofter and the Snake today, I accidentally deleted the entire story.  I have re-created the story shell and have added back all the chapters but have lost the read count and reviews.  I don't suppose there's any easy way to get them back again?

My daughter is a computer engineer, and she says that nothing is ever really irretrievable (to the chagrin of evildoers who try to delete incriminating files from their computers), but I'm sure it's not easy.  Even she might not know the method to do it.

4 hours ago, Oregonian said:

Hi, staffers.  While trying to add a new chapter (Chapter Eight) to my story The Crofter and the Snake today, I accidentally deleted the entire story.  I have re-created the story shell and have added back all the chapters but have lost the read count and reviews.  I don't suppose there's any easy way to get them back again?

My daughter is a computer engineer, and she says that nothing is ever really irretrievable (to the chagrin of evildoers who try to delete incriminating files from their computers), but I'm sure it's not easy.  Even she might not know the method to do it.

unfortunately, i don't believe there is, no. can you give me the story id (pre-deletion) so i can double check on the back end?

Unfortunately I don't think I have the story id (I presume you mean that 4-digit number).  It never occurred to me, in all these years, that I would need to write down the story id numbers of my stories and keep a record of them in a safe place. (Does anyone ever do that?  Would it be a good idea?)

Meanwhile, I keep wracking my brain, trying to remember if i ever had reason to write it down on a scrap of paper somewhere, but unfortunately I never nominated my own story for any award or wrote a review for my own story and then cited it in the Monthly Forum Challenge or the Annual Review Drive, so I fear that a dive through my paper-scrap bin won't turn anything up.

Thank you for your prompt reply and for your sympathy.  💖  I'll ask my daughter if she has any insight.

@Oregonian I found the id in the "chapter updates" thread, it should be 3892 (just throwing it out there as an idea, don't the server managers keep a daily database backup? Would it be possible to ask for a restore? Just basing this on job experience, I suppose a site like this is different, but just in case...)

PS sorry for jumping in like this... :couch:

Edited by Felpata_Lupin
Just a little addition
  • Love 1

Thank you, thank you, Chiara!  I had lost all hope.  You are a gem!  A friend indeed!:loveshower:

@eternal admiral abhorsen, Chiara has found the story id for The Crofter and The Snake.  It's 3892.

• cathugbunny 1

thank you! as chiara said, if you post the link anywhere (e.g., new stories or chapter updates), you can get the url from that ^_^

i've double checked the back end to make sure it was fully deleted, and it seems like it was. unfortunately, there's not an easy way to retrieve it - we do get our database backed up, but asking the company who handles that to retrieve an individual story unfortunately isn't possible. sorry!

• Thanks 1

just to jump in - if it helps, it might be possible for people to find reviews they left you on their author page under your reviews, however ❤️ it might be a bit of a pain for some to wade through the pages of the reviews they left, but maybe there is something to be retrieved there!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ineke said:

just to jump in - if it helps, it might be possible for people to find reviews they left you on their author page under your reviews, however ❤️ it might be a bit of a pain for some to wade through the pages of the reviews they left, but maybe there is something to be retrieved there!

I've just searched for the reviews I left on The Crofter and the Snake, both in review tag and on my AP, and I think they've been deleted. Sorry :( 

• Thanks 1

Hi staffers! For some reason I haven't been getting email updates for reviews, favorites, etc off late. I double checked my FFT archive preferences and my spam folders. I also recently submitted a story to the archive, and it shows pending validation, but the queue says '0 chapters' - I wonder if there was an email I might have missed as well? (PS: No urgency on the validation - just wondering if I'm missing some communication)

5 hours ago, FlamingQuilltips said:

Hi staffers! For some reason I haven't been getting email updates for reviews, favorites, etc off late. I double checked my FFT archive preferences and my spam folders. I also recently submitted a story to the archive, and it shows pending validation, but the queue says '0 chapters' - I wonder if there was an email I might have missed as well? (PS: No urgency on the validation - just wondering if I'm missing some communication)

Idk what is happening re the reviews but I'll dm you re the validation!

• sending love 1

Hi there, I don't seem to have permission to view the results of polls, is this normal? I was nominated for Story of the Month a little while back and I can't see the results of the voting on that. I also can't see the results of the Golden Ink awards, unless they haven't been released yet?

3 hours ago, Sapphire_Skies said:

Hi there, I don't seem to have permission to view the results of polls, is this normal? I was nominated for Story of the Month a little while back and I can't see the results of the voting on that. I also can't see the results of the Golden Ink awards, unless they haven't been released yet?

that is normal - if you didn’t vote in a poll, you won’t be able to see the results of it after it has closed.

1 minute ago, down-in-flames said:

that is normal - if you didn’t vote in a poll, you won’t be able to see the results of it after it has closed.

Okay, thank you. Are the results of the awards something that will be announced, or will they remain visible only to those who voted?

1 minute ago, Sapphire_Skies said:

Okay, thank you. Are the results of the awards something that will be announced, or will they remain visible only to those who voted?

they’ll be announced soon, staff has a few behind-the-scenes tasks to tackle first (namely, making the awards, which is a pretty involved process and our graphic-makers have been super busy with irl things these past few months) but they’ll be posted once those are handled.

• Like 1

Just now, down-in-flames said:

they’ll be announced soon, staff has a few behind-the-scenes tasks to tackle first (namely, making the awards, which is a pretty involved process and our graphic-makers have been super busy with irl things these past few months) but they’ll be posted once those are handled.

Awesome, thanks!