We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can participate in events, challenges, discussions, and review swaps - or even just play games!

Join the Forums

FanficTalk has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing and read/review other members' writing.

Join the Archive
News Ticker
congratulations to all of our nanowrimo participants! get ready to celebrate the fairy princess's birthday!

Badge Suggestions

fairy host abhorsen.

fairy host abhorsen.

We're open to adding additional badges; while we don't promise to take every suggestion we get, we'd love to know if you have any requests or suggestions!

MuggleMaybe

Could there be a badge for completing multi-chapter stories?

And also for entering/winning/hosting challenges? 

Love the badges, what a fun idea!

p.s. I misspelled badges as badgers two times before I managed to spell it correctly  :hufflepuff:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Alopex
35 minutes ago, MuggleMaybe said:

Could there be a badge for completing multi-chapter stories?

And also for entering/winning/hosting challenges? 

Love the badges, what a fun idea!

p.s. I misspelled badges as badgers two times before I managed to spell it correctly  :hufflepuff:  

We actually already have badges for entering and placing in challenges (it's in the "other award milestones" category). Hosting seems logical to add to that as well. 

• Like 2
Recent Badges

just.a.willow.tree

This isn't a suggestion, more of a question, but in the Alum Hall of Fame, there's a category for "Novel Reviews" that I haven't seen anywhere else. What is it, and what are the requirements? ^_^ 

Alopex
5 hours ago, Nix said:

Just wanted to clarify, do the Chapter and Word Count badges count for one story or all our stories overall? 

Stories overall.

6 hours ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

This isn't a suggestion, more of a question, but in the Alum Hall of Fame, there's a category for "Novel Reviews" that I haven't seen anywhere else. What is it, and what are the requirements? ^_^ 

I don't know why that's there either. We'll have to wait for @abhorsen. to answer, since she made a lot of changes after we laid out the original format, and I lost track. :P

• Like 2
Recent Badges

just.a.willow.tree

I have another question. :couch: For the badges, are we only able to display 15 as the max? I was just looking at Branwen's, who I could've sworn had a bunch of other badges too, but there're only 15 underneath her sig now. If so, are we allowed to pick which 15 we want to display?

Alopex
8 hours ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

I have another question. :couch: For the badges, are we only able to display 15 as the max? I was just looking at Branwen's, who I could've sworn had a bunch of other badges too, but there're only 15 underneath her sig now. If so, are we allowed to pick which 15 we want to display?

Badges actually show up in 3 places: On your profile, beneath your posts, and in the hovercard that appears when someone mouses over your name. :) Oh, and also on the Badges page, where if you click into an individual badge, you can click on the number awarded to see a list of everyone who has earned it.

And yes, unfortunately, beneath posts only 15 are displayed. We can actually change that number, but the reason we have it set that way is because of mobile devices. Badges do not get hidden on mobile, so if we allow loads of badges, it takes up tons of room on mobile. The number 15 was chosen on purpose, because on smaller phone screens, that limits badges to 3 rows. If we go to 4 rows (or more), it takes up at least 1/3 of the screen space, and that's just a lot of space. We want people to still be able to read a topic without badges crowding their screen over-much.

In the hovercard, only 8 badges are shown.

On your profile page, all badges are shown, although if you have a lot, there will be more than one page.

Unfortunately, you cannot decide which ones to show. :( It goes in order of badge awarded, so your most recent ones show at the front/top.

• Like 3
Recent Badges

just.a.willow.tree

I'm so sorry for spamming this thread with questions, but I saw the new update and was wondering, because I thought @abhorsen. said that the "general challenges" badge was for all the points from all the different types of challenges combined, including prefect challenges and FROGS? (I'm just stressing out for spreadsheet purposes. :P)

Edited by just.a.willow.tree

Alopex

FROGS aren't a challenge. Thats the part that got fixed.

At one point when we were trying to keep the number of categories low, we had thought of combining them, but FROGS don't really make sense in the challenge category. The challenge badges are to award people who participate in challenges, and person can win a FROGS award without ever having participated in a challenge.

• Like 3
Recent Badges

sibilant

These badges are super cool! I think it would be nice if we have some badges to promote other areas of the forum that aren’t visited as often. The areas that stick out to me most as Resource (perhaps an award for a certain # of resources shared, or original content written?), Story Recommendations, and Blogs. I also think it would be great to have a badge for someone who has an active review thread, though I’m not sure how to define “active”. 

• Like 3

Alopex
1 hour ago, forever_dreaming said:

These badges are super cool! I think it would be nice if we have some badges to promote other areas of the forum that aren’t visited as often. The areas that stick out to me most as Resource (perhaps an award for a certain # of resources shared, or original content written?), Story Recommendations, and Blogs. I also think it would be great to have a badge for someone who has an active review thread, though I’m not sure how to define “active”. 

More forum related badges are definitely in the works. One will definitely be story recs...that particular one is already planned, actually, we (meaning graphics-guru Branwen) just wasn't able to get to everything that was listed out and wanted to roll this out with the May bulletin. :)

So yes...there will be forum badges other than just post count.

• Like 1
Recent Badges

RoxiMalfoy

As I was filling out my claim form, I actually had an idea that could fall under the Forum Milestone Badges category! ^_^ Would you guys possibly want to do something with the Community Reputation Activity? I've noticed that the points for that also displays in the hovercards - with the little green plus sign above the post count - so it's easy enough to keep track of. I think it would be a nice addition to the Forums section. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
just.a.willow.tree

I have a few questions about the new updates :couch: 

For the novels reviewed badge, what if we've reviewed every chapter of a novel but it doesn't reach 15 chapters? Or what if we've reviewed a story with more than 15 chapters, but it doesn't meet the word count for a novel? Would those qualify as "novels" under the badge, or only 50k+ stories with 15+ chapters?

And for the House 'OTMs, Hufflpuff's Review of the Month counts, right? :P

Thank you! <3

fairy host abhorsen.
17 minutes ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

I have a few questions about the new updates :couch: 

For the novels reviewed badge, what if we've reviewed every chapter of a novel but it doesn't reach 15 chapters? Or what if we've reviewed a story with more than 15 chapters, but it doesn't meet the word count for a novel? Would those qualify as "novels" under the badge, or only 50k+ stories with 15+ chapters?

And for the House 'OTMs, Hufflpuff's Review of the Month counts, right? :P

Thank you! <3

The story has to be labeled as a novel and you have to have reviewed at least fifteen chapters. It's okay if it's a WIP with the word count being less than 50k+ - it just needs to be labeled as a novel.

The Puff's Review of the Month definitely counts.

• Like 1

scooterbug8515

Seeing the Novelist and One Shot badges I wanted to inquire about possibly having Poetry and  Drabble badges.  (Particularly Poetry).  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
just.a.willow.tree

This feels like a silly question, but do Stories of the Month also qualify as Featured Stories? Or do the stories have to be individually featured w/o being SotM? :P

Also -- would it be possible to edit th requirements of the Novelist Badge to go by word count instead of chapter? ^_^ 10 chapters can still be over 50k.

• Like 1

fairy host abhorsen.

@just.a.willow.tree - SotMs also count as featured stories. ^_^

My main concern with going by word count rather than chapter count is that it's a reviewing badge rather than a reading badge - it's not just about the volume being read, it's about how many responses are being left. Obviously some people leave longer reviews than others :P which does unbalance things a bit, but there's not really a great way to control for that. :/

• Like 1

just.a.willow.tree
38 minutes ago, abhorsen. said:

My main concern with going by word count rather than chapter count is that it's a reviewing badge rather than a reading badge - it's not just about the volume being read, it's about how many responses are being left. Obviously some people leave longer reviews than others :P which does unbalance things a bit, but there's not really a great way to control for that. :/

Oh yeah I can definitely understand the difficulties balancing our for the Novel Review Badge, but I was talking about the Novelist Badge, under the writing milestones. It says that the stories have to be over 15 chapters to count as a novel written ^_^ 

Edit: I just thought of another question :ninja: would Fic Night winners also count as Featured Fics?

Edited by just.a.willow.tree

fairy host abhorsen.

Ahhhh, I see what you mean! Yes, we can definitely do that. ^_^ I'll make a note of it for the next time we do badge updates. (If it slips my mind then, feel free to poke me. :P )

Any story that gets featured on the archive counts, regardless of the reason it was featured. ^_^ So yep, Fic Night counts too!

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
facingthenorthwind

Apologies if this is the wrong place, but -- I do not understand the blogs badge? It says you have to do drabbles? Does that mean entries? (Does the prefect blog count? :P )

galadriel
1 hour ago, facingthenorthwind said:

Apologies if this is the wrong place, but -- I do not understand the blogs badge? It says you have to do drabbles? Does that mean entries? (Does the prefect blog count? :P )

It was probably a small oversight while updating the new badges (copy-pasting a different section to keep it consistent, yk?) so yeah, consider it as number of blog posts, not drabbles. :D and I don't think the prefect blogs count since it's a collab effort but I'll let @abhorsen. confirm that one.

Edit: I've cleaned up those typing errors so there's no further confusion.

Edited by Theia
  • Thanks 1
Recent Badges

facingthenorthwind
15 hours ago, Theia said:

It was probably a small oversight while updating the new badges (copy-pasting a different section to keep it consistent, yk?) so yeah, consider it as number of blog posts, not drabbles. :D and I don't think the prefect blogs count since it's a collab effort but I'll let @abhorsen. confirm that one.

Edit: I've cleaned up those typing errors so there's no further confusion.

I was joking, honestly, it wouldn't make sense for the prefect posts to count since it's very much a group effort. Thanks for the answer! ❤️ 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.