Jump to content

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can participate in events, challenges, discussions, and review swaps - or even just play games!

Join the Forums

FanficTalk has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing and read/review other members' writing.

Join the Archive
News Ticker
congratulations to all of our nanowrimo participants! get ready to celebrate the fairy princess's birthday!

Badge Suggestions


fairy host abhorsen.

Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...
sibilant

hello! so this might not be the appropriate forum for this idea, but I felt it’s the most obviously applicable place to implement this? 

I’ve been somewhat inspired by the menagerie event and I thought that it’d be cool to have some themed badges inspired by the Chocolate Frog Cards, so you could “collect” Chocolate Frog cards (which would be mini-icons like the badges or larger images intended to go on your profile, for example). Like the menagerie, the tasks for each card could be (loosely) based off of the person featured on the card. The cards are also naturally tiered as bronze, silver, and gold, so if we wanted to sort of follow the current tier structure of the badges, we could group together some similar people? 

For example we could group Almeric Sawbridge (Bronze), Alberta Toothill (Silver), and Albus Dumbledore (Gold) as a trio centered around defeating more powerful opponents. I’m not sure exactly what the related tasks would be though haha. 

Edgar Strougler (Bronze), Blenheim Stalk (Silver), and Carlotta Pinkstone (Gold) could be a trio focused around revelation o wizards to Muggles/etc, so the related tasks might be around advertising HPFT? 

Obviously there’s many logistics to be figured out and I don’t know if this exact structure is feasible with the number of bronze/silver/gold cards. I thought it’d be kinda cute and creative and fun though! This could also probably be easily adapted into an event of sorts if that format would work better? Who knows. Just wanted to throw the idea out there and see what people thought ^_^

(I highly recommend reading the list of wizards and witches featured on the cards regardless. There’s some real winners hahaha. My personal favorite is Ethelred the Ever-Ready :P)

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
Oregonian

A pair of questions about the consideration of poetry.

Do poems posted on the archives count as "stories" for the purpose of total story count?  If so, is there a minimum word count for such poems, such as 100 words, to allow them to be counted as equal to stories?

Can poems (I'm thinking particularly, but not exclusively, about narrative poems) be counted toward the total number of Harry Potter Eras?

Edited by Oregonian
improve format
Link to post
Share on other sites

fairy host abhorsen.
1 hour ago, Oregonian said:

A pair of questions about the consideration of poetry.

Do poems posted on the archives count as "stories" for the purpose of total story count?  If so, is there a minimum word count for such poems, such as 100 words, to allow them to be counted as equal to stories?

Can poems (I'm thinking particularly, but not exclusively, about narrative poems) be counted toward the total number of Harry Potter Eras?

Yep! Poems count as stories, no minimum word count (as long as it's long enough to be on the archives at all, I mean :P). They can also absolutely be counted toward the fandom or era badges. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oregonian

Another quick question about Harry Potter eras.  Does the category "Non-UK" include stories about British persons in foreign countries (e.g. Luna Lovegood in Tibet), or only non-British people in foreign countries (e.g. French wizards in Paris)?

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
fairy host abhorsen.
On 2/3/2019 at 11:24 AM, Oregonian said:

Another quick question about Harry Potter eras.  Does the category "Non-UK" include stories about British persons in foreign countries (e.g. Luna Lovegood in Tibet), or only non-British people in foreign countries (e.g. French wizards in Paris)?

I'm so sorry for the delay in answering you! Non-UK is intended to refer to anything that takes place outside of the UK. ^_^

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
800 words of heaven

This feels like a silly question, but I thought I'd ask: how are stories for the story badge counted? Is it by the number of "story shells" that you've posted? Or can you count individual stories written inside story shells as chapters? That is, if you've posted a series of one-shots and/or drabbles in the one story shell, do they count as one story, or do they count individually, for the purposes of the badge?

Link to post
Share on other sites

galadriel
On 3/25/2019 at 3:56 AM, 800 words of heaven said:

This feels like a silly question, but I thought I'd ask: how are stories for the story badge counted? Is it by the number of "story shells" that you've posted? Or can you count individual stories written inside story shells as chapters? That is, if you've posted a series of one-shots and/or drabbles in the one story shell, do they count as one story, or do they count individually, for the purposes of the badge?

Yes, it's based on story shells. Anything within these shells are considered as chapters. :)

Also, no question is ever silly. We're here to help clear these type of doubts so if there's anything you aren't sure of, don't hesitate to ask. ^_^ 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Recent Badges

  • 6 months later...

A question about the Fandoms badge if I may, I was wondering if the Other Fandom counted as just one, or if two stories written in different fandoms still within the Other Fandom catagory on the archive,(for example say a Downton Abbey one and another some other fandom that doesn't have it's own section)  would count as two for the fandoms count? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Recent Badges

viking grumpy cat
21 hours ago, tgfoy said:

A question about the Fandoms badge if I may, I was wondering if the Other Fandom counted as just one, or if two stories written in different fandoms still within the Other Fandom catagory on the archive,(for example say a Downton Abbey one and another some other fandom that doesn't have it's own section)  would count as two for the fandoms count? 

yes, they would count for two!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 11 months later...
magemadi

hi hi hi i think it'd be fun to have a badge for writing fics that are entered into 2+ challenges! 

so like:

  • level 1 = 2 challenges entered
  • level 2 = 3 challenges entered
  • level 3 = 4 challenges entered
  • Like 2
  • Elmo 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
viking grumpy cat

could we get a graphic artist badgieee? like it doesn't need levels just as a fun badge thingie (that you get if you post a gallery? or idk)

Edited by pirate grumpy cat
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...