News Ticker

something wicked

something wicked

IolcknC.jpg

Come on in, take a seat, grab a coffee - or a cocktail, I make good cocktails! 

I'm Deni, welcome to my Writer's Journal! 

I've been writing fic for a long time but my first ever chapter went up online in January 2018. My writing has evolved quite a bit since then, focusing mostly on character development and description. It's also gotten a lot darker, angst being my *thing* these days. To quote Laura: If your characters are happy you aren't doing it right!  I like to play around with unreliable narrators and characters that aren't necessarily nice people. Most of my main character are OCs, generally they're female and almost always end up being Scottish. What can I say, I write what I know (Apart from all the murder... that's all made up...). I have two main novels at the moment with wayyyy too many spinoff ideas to count. Someday I might finish one of them! (Fingers crossed...)

Without delaying any more, have a read and if you have any questions ask away! 

M Y  W R I T I N G

5f4kEaq.jpg

Y A X L E Y 

My main story is Yaxley, the first story I ever posted online, my baby and my ongoing headache. It follows a girl called Cassiel Yaxley, who needs to find her place in the world and learn that she doesn't hate Sirius Black quite as much as first thought. I started a long time ago and five variations, one website and a million name changes later, here it is! Yaxley is both my love letter to some of the old Sirius Black / OC fics but with my wee spin on them. It's pretty much packed with angst and some pretty well layered, morally grey characters that *hopefullly* you can still fall in love with. There's murder, betrayal, thestrals and a little bit of romance thrown in for good measure. 

Story | Pinterest (m)

I N L U S T R I S

The Yaxley Universe. 

There are currently three Yaxley spinoff stories with two more planned after the main novel is finished. 

Tell Me What It's Like To Conquer : The events of Yaxley from Regulus Black's POV.

Tell My Heart To Lie : A prequel one-shot written by the incredible Chemical_Pixie.

Not Without Ambition : A dark prequel about the Yaxleys set in the time Tom Riddle was at Hogwarts.

7uF41Gv.jpg

R E V I V A L 

Revival was an idea that appeared and wouldn't go away until I started writing. Largely inspired by a mix of IDGAF by Dua Lipa and a whole load of Taylor Swift's break up songs, it's a story following the aftermath of the break up of James Sirius Potter and an OC called Rona McKenna. A frosty relationship with her ex, a whirlwind of unwanted media attention and failing Hogwarts classes are just some of Rona's problems, and throughout the story she fights to get her life back on track and reclaim the narrative other people have been writing for her for far too long. Then there's her complicated relationship with the other Weasleys and to find out about that, you'll have to read on! 

So I guess part of Revival was inspired by another JSP/OC story I read about a million years ago. It's since been deleted but in it James started out with a beautiful, smart, blonde girlfriend who had endless amounts of sass and a personality that made me always want more. She was then promptly dumped by James so he could get together with the main OC and vanished from the story. Something about her stuck in my head, I always wanted to know what came next for her. When I started plotting out a Louis Weasley/OC story and ended up with a character that could have matched the same description the idea of merging my two plunnies and make one big, dramatically, fantastically messy story popped into my head. Now here we are! 

Story | Pinterest (m)

Edited by something wicked
  • Like 2

Hi! I just finished the most recent update of Yaxley and saw this morning you started a writer's journal so figured I would stop by!

1. You said you've had multiple versions of this that you've started over the years before you sat and plotted out this eventual version. Was Cassie always the star of this show or has she changed with your different versions?

2. Is it too spoilery to ask about the thestral as a patronus? If so, feel free to skip. Otherwise, how did you come up with that idea/what made you choose that as her patronus?

3. What made you decide to write a story from the POV of a squib? 

4. Do you have a favorite character to write and if so why?

Also if you're offering cocktails, even virtual ones, expect to see me back:cheers:

• Like 1

Hey Sarah! Thanks for stopping by. Wooo! Questions! 

1. Cassie started out as Mia Yaxley. She was originally a lot quieter, more bookish and blonde but that version didn't work very well with the story. So when I started writing Yaxley I reworked her appearance,  made her more stubborn , reckless and a quidditch player (this ties in with question 2) and she became instantly more of a real person. 

2. Not tooooo spoilery, I'll just be careful how I word this. xD Thestral's were an idea right from the outset. I wont say anything about the plot implications, but when I was developing Cassie I had the idea of making them her patronus. The more I looked for the parallels the more there seemed to be, right down to her love for flying. I think the idea of a creature with a reputation for darkness and death while actually being kind and misunderstood just fit Cassie. 

3. Basically... There are hardly any stories about Squibs who live in the Wizarding World. I wanted to write something exploring how their lives would work and what trials they would face. One day Amie popped into my head and would not go away until I wrote down a story from her POV.

4. My favourite in general is Dominique Weasley. I wrote a fic a few years ago about her and I'm starting to redo it now. She's a complete fireball and so much fun to think about what goes on inside her head. My favourite OC is Cassie because she's my baby... I'm ridiculously attached to her! 

Lastly yes... There will always be cocktails! On Mondays we have mojitos:greenstars:

• Like 1

Huh, now I'm even more curious about thestrals as her patronus but I can definitely see how they would just work for Cassie! This also makes me super excited for more Amie Bell. I love the point you've made about how there are hardly any stories about their lives within the wizarding world and it'll be neat to see that done!

Mojito Monday sounds lovely!

• Like 1

1. If Amie was a witch, what house would she be in do you think?

2. What gives you inspiration to write?

3. How are you enjoying being part of hpft so far?

4. How do you feel about your stories being nominated for the PoG awards? 

• Like 1

Hi Abbi! More questions! 

1. Ahh I totally love this. Mostly because I keep changing my mind (One perk of a character not going to Hogwarts is that I get to write her and then decide that shes actually one or the other.) :blink: Amie's from a Gryffindor family and she's got the whole reckless bravery thing going but I mostly imagine her as a Hufflepuff. It just seems to fit better with how I've ended up writing her, sooo I'm going to go with that. Amie would have been a badger!

2. I can find inspiration in pretty much anything but the main thing is reading, reading, reading! Oh, and I'm a complete daydreamer so that helps when I'm making stories up. 

3.  (Prepare for soppiness) I'm loving it so much. It's literally just been a month since I joined and the community is amazing. The level of support and inspiration you get from being around other writers is completely new to me, so I cant wait to get to know everyone a bit more and see what impact it has on my writing. 

4. I think I screamed in work... Are you kidding me? INSANE. Obviously I've just joined so I didn't expect that, but when I got the notification I was so happy. It's a huge vote of confidence in writing which is amazing when starting to post. Also the character ones were lovely because that's a huge focus in my writing. 

Thank you for stopping by!

Deni x

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, while I've got some free time and inspiration I thought I'd do an update! 

I finally got around to editing the latest chapter of Yaxley and now have a pretty detailed plot plan for the rest of Amie Bell.

I also got distracted and instead of focusing on what I've already started , I may have written a Regulus/OC romance set alongside Yaxley... It still needs lots of work but here's a peek of Illuminate so far. 

Spoiler

“You tell me this now?” She dropped the jar on the table, threw down the cloth and peeled off the gloves, which were almost as dirty as the pots they were meant to be cleaning. “Were you just going to watch me do all the work all night and not bring it up?”

“I was waiting to see how long it took you to give up and cheat. You've lasted longer than anyone else does.” He unfolded his legs and climbed up from the seat, strolling casually across the dungeon classroom as if it were his. “Here, I'll show you how to do it.” 

Ten minutes later and she was perched happily on the edge of a desk, watching as her punishment flew around the room, sorting itself out.

“So, tell me...” Black started in an almost conversational tone. “How did Kelly Cunningham end up in detention?” 

Kelly looked around, meeting the curious look in his eye with one of her own. 

“Only if you tell me when Regulus Black started being nice.”

Also, for all the time I spend writing, I probably double that procrastinating and drawing illustrations that nobody will ever see. So I thought I'd put one up, since this is what I do when I don't want to edit. (Seriously, editing is the enemy.)

Spoiler

This was to go along with Chapter Five of Yaxley. 

35861463_1865564056834962_23226510158342

• Like 1

What am I? THE BIGGEST PROCRASTINATOR I'VE EVER MET. What do I need? REALISTIC GOALS. What am I setting myself? 20k... Let's be happy if I reach 10k, shall we? 

Hello! Welcome to my nest! 

I wasn't planning on doing this this time around, but what I need is a push and that is exactly that this will be! So what will I be trying (and lets face it, failing) to achieve for Nano? 

Yaxley 

My baby and main project. A Sirius/OC novel with a tone of drama, fights and Thestral imagery stuck in for good measure. I need to push on with this because I'm stalling in both the editing and writing. The story is all there just... getting it out of my head an written down is taking a LONG time. Secondary characters are my main issue right now, some of them wont appear on paper and others are taking the story ff in their own direction. 

Amie Bell: Squib, Barista, Auror.

A side protect about a Squib in the Wizarding World that's taken on a life of it's own. Theoretically, I'd like to get this finished but if not then another chapter or two out at least. 

Illuminate (Working Title)

Another wee story that has yet to be put up. It's almost a pair to Yaxley, a Regulus/OC romance set at the same time. It wont be too long so I'd like to have it finished by the end of JulNo. 

Hey, I'm here with some questions! 

1. okay....a squib auror?!?! Wow!!!! How is Amie treated by her fellow, magical aurors? Does she suffer a lot of prejudice or are people very accepting of her? 

2. Which brother is your favourite? Sirius or Regulus? 

3. What are the dynamics of the Sirius x OC relationship and how are they different to the dynamics of the Regulus x OC coupling??? 

4. Out of all of these, which project has been your favourite and why? 

• Like 1

Hello! Here to cheer you on! If you ever need someone to bounce ideas off (even ones you think are stupid), my inbox is always open! Shoot me a PM and I'm down! I'm a sucker for Sirius/OC stories!

Ah, secondary characters taking on a life of their own - the best worst. If this gets too troublesome, you could try angrily typing out a quick drabble/short one-shot on them, just to get it out of your system? It doesn't mean you have to publish it, but it might help with any mind block you're having with the main story line. And since you're writing a few projects, you can still count it towards your word count goal!

And don't set yourself up for failure so early! I completely understand where you're coming from (I'm the type to write a chapter, like, once a year), but if your goal is 20k, that's what your goal is. None of this second-guessing yourself and saying you'll only get to 10k!

Good luck! We're all here to support you!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, beyond the rain said:

Hey, I'm here with some questions! 

1. okay....a squib auror?!?! Wow!!!! How is Amie treated by her fellow, magical aurors? Does she suffer a lot of prejudice or are people very accepting of her? 

2. Which brother is your favourite? Sirius or Regulus? 

3. What are the dynamics of the Sirius x OC relationship and how are they different to the dynamics of the Regulus x OC coupling??? 

4. Out of all of these, which project has been your favourite and why? 

Hi Bex! 

1. So at the moment I'm doing a sort of Origin story for her. I'm focusing on how she met Harry and became an Auror in the first place but after that I've got a whole series of short stories planned out with lots of Squib-Amie vs the world. (now that I've written that down the thought terrifies me!)

A lot of the story deals with how she's treated, I've always thought that the way Wizards treat Squibs is pretty appalling, so it shows how she's had to adjust and change in order to stay in the Wizarding World with her family and all the negative attitudes that come with it.

2. WHY WOULD YOU ASK THIS? ? Surely I can't pick?... But Sirius. Sirius is my favourite. I've got a soft spot for Regulus too, he's like a little duckling that I want to look after and keep safe... But yeah, Sirius. 

3. So the Sirius/OC is largely about two people who hate eachother discovering that they are far more similar than they want to let on, they're both stubborn and dramatic, unable to see the world form any perspective other than they're own and it takes a whole novel (once I write it) to forget the past and be together. It's the idea of 'can't live with them, can't live without them'.

Almost the complete inverse, the Regulus/OC pairing is going to be a short story or a very long one shot about two VERY different people fighting to be together, despite the fact it's never going to work. A little bit sadder with any luck, with more of a sence of inevitable doom...

I'm hyper aware that I do have another story set with another Black at the same time period so I've been quite careful to keep the narratives separate. 

4. All of them have been so fun to do but Yaxley is my baby. I've had endless variations of it for years and finally I've got one I'm confident enough to post. 

When I was younger practically all the fanfiction I read was Sirius/OC stories so I've loved getting to write my own version. 

Thank you so much for stopping by and for the questions! 

@800 words of heaven Hello! Ah, thank you so much. I always need someone to air out ideas with so I will definitely keep that in mind when I'm stuck. :hug:

I've never thought about writing wee drabbles for troublesome side characters. That's a brilliant idea! 

Unfortunately I know myself and my writing... I won't write anything for weeks and then crack out three chapters and a one shot in the space of a day when I'm just fueled on coffee! This will be a good challenge to try and reach a goal over a longer period of time. I'm definitely going for 20k, we'll see how I do!

Thank you for stopping by, all the best, 

Deni

• Like 1

Hello!

I just read your Nano Nest and I have a few questions for you! ?

1. Can I ask how long have you planning Yaxley for? 

2. Ooh a story with a squib auror named Amie sounds really cool but I also saw that it says that she's a barista too? That's kind of cool!  Just to clarify: are we going to see how she is a barista in the wizarding world or is her being a barista actually her in the real world? (I hope that question makes sense!)

3.   Are there any difficulties and or challenges to writing Illuminate?

I hope that you're able to reach to your word goal count of 20k and that you're able to find a way to write Yaxley as well as your other stories that you mentioned! You can do it! You got this! But seriously, I hope that everything goes well for you! :) 

• Like 1

Hey @danicasyer

Thanks for stopping by! 

1. In it's current form, I've been working on Yaxley since January. But I've been messing about with the same characters and the same idea for a lot longer than that though, maybe a couple of years, each version becoming more of a whole story than the last until we've ended up with something I'm okay putting online! 

2.  Don't worry ? that question does make sence. So Amie is a barista in the Wizarding World. The cafe she works in is on Diagon Alley so it's magical customers she serves. I figured it was a job she could still do even without magic (people do it every day) but everyone needs coffee... Even Witches and Wizards. 

3. TIME! I shouldn't have started a third thing but once I had the idea I needed to write it. But that's partly what I'm going to try to do during JulNo, dedicate enough time to it to get it finished! 

Thank you so much! Any encouragement is always appreciated :hug:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey hey! :) I'm a bit later than I intended to be, but I'm here :D 

(Full disclosure: I didn't read all of the other questions people left, so sorry if I ask the same stuff as above :P

1. Amie is a barista and an Auror? How does that work? Does she do one of them part-time, or is it kind of an undercover thing? 

2. The few Squibs we see in the books seem to live mostly Muggle lives, even when they still have connections to the magical world (like Filch and Mrs Figg), how does Amie deal with being around magic when her family have it and she doesn't? Why did she stay quite so attached and involved in the magical world? 

3. I like the idea of two very different romances for the Black brothers - did you consciously plan for them to be very different, or did they sort of develop that way? 

4. Do Illuminate and Yaxley fit in the same universe or are they separate stories in separate universes? 

5. Not a question, but I'm sure you can hit 20k - write, write, write! :D :bunny:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Aphoride said:

Hey hey! :) I'm a bit later than I intended to be, but I'm here :D 

(Full disclosure: I didn't read all of the other questions people left, so sorry if I ask the same stuff as above :P

1. Amie is a barista and an Auror? How does that work? Does she do one of them part-time, or is it kind of an undercover thing? 

2. The few Squibs we see in the books seem to live mostly Muggle lives, even when they still have connections to the magical world (like Filch and Mrs Figg), how does Amie deal with being around magic when her family have it and she doesn't? Why did she stay quite so attached and involved in the magical world? 

3. I like the idea of two very different romances for the Black brothers - did you consciously plan for them to be very different, or did they sort of develop that way? 

4. Do Illuminate and Yaxley fit in the same universe or are they separate stories in separate universes? 

5. Not a question, but I'm sure you can hit 20k - write, write, write! :D :bunny:

Hey! Don't worry about it, you're still ahead of me! ?

1. Amie starts out as a barista, full time and in no way undercover. The story  kicks off when she is, for lack of a better word, recruited buy Harry to be a lookout for some on the run Death Eaters. The rest covers how she eventually became an Auror  except I haven't written that bit yet!  :P

2. So Amie's mission in life (until this point) has been to make life in the Wizarding World easier for herself one step at a time. For example, getting a job that involves minimal magic use, one that muggles do in the normal world or convincing the Ministry to link the leaky cauldron fireplace to her home one so she can get to and from work (She did this by making cups of tea. Most thing's in life can be solved by tea.) 

I always wanted to see what it would be like for a squib who chose to stay with their family, one of my many, many questions for JKR, so most of this Fic came about from what I imagine their lives would be like. 

3. It was a bit of both I think. Cass and Sirius match up (or will do) because they can stand up to each other. They don't take any shit from the other and that worked with their personalities and also with the dynamic of that relationship, it's all very loud and over the top. The idea I had for Illuminate was much more of a quiet, getting to know you and slowly building feelings for you type of idea. Which fitted my version of Regulus far better and the OC as well. It's going to be far fluffier but also a little bit sadder than all the drama in Yaxley since it leads right up to Regulus going into a certain cave :ninja:

4. Yes! Illuminate is going to be a short story or a long one-shot that's set over the same period as Yaxley. As it stands, apart from a few mentions or lines, they aren't going to cross over at all but plot points from one might be referenced in the other. 

5. Ah thank you! We'll see, it's not looking too bad so far  :hug:Thank you so much for the questions! 

Guest Tanda

Hi, Deni. While nominating your Yaxley for PoG, I had some questions. Now I could find time to drop the questions.

1 Why did you choose Yaxley as the protagonist's name?

2 Is Yaxley a Scottish? Did J.K.Rowling hint about it somewhere or is it your original idea?

3 Sirius Black in your story demands Cassie to behave like a Gryffindor.

A nice plot, you can create the protagonist's angst from there. How did the idea pop in your mind?

4 Which genre are you willing to write? 

Action, romance or the others? 'Cause I just started reading yours, so just I am curious to know. :)

5 I hope Cassie will be happy in the end, but I guess it is hard thinking her circumstances. Have you already decided how the story will end?

Hi Kenny! Okay so first, thank you so much for the nomination! That was so kind of you :hug:

Aand now questions! 

7 hours ago, StarFeather said:

1 Why did you choose Yaxley as the protagonist's name?

2 Is Yaxley a Scottish? Did J.K.Rowling hint about it somewhere or is it your original idea?

3 Sirius Black in your story demands Cassie to behave like a Gryffindor.

A nice plot, you can create the protagonist's angst from there. How did the idea pop in your mind?

4 Which genre are you willing to write? 

Action, romance or the others? 'Cause I just started reading yours, so just I am curious to know. :)

5 I hope Cassie will be happy in the end, but I guess it is hard thinking her circumstances. Have you already decided how the story will end?

1. I wanted Cassie to be from a Death Eater family that wasn't well known. It gives me more space to create what I think their lives would have been like.

Corban Yaxley who appears throughout the books was the obvious choice to go with, for reasons including question two. 

2. I'm not sure if it is book cannon but the character and actor in the films is definitely Scottish.

With OCs I find it a bit easier, and less daunting, to write people from the same place as me. It means if I mess up on the dialect it won't be as obvious! 

3. That plot line comes from the idea that just because you're a Gryffindor you HAVE to be loud and brave and good. We know this isn't the case with Pettegrew and Cassie is a different sort of Gryffindor too. 

She's in a moral grey area, more and more so as the story continues, but that doesn't mean she isn't still a Gryffindor. She definitely is! 

4. I prefer writing Romance/Drama and action but I'd love to try horror! I've got a few ideas for much darker stories that I might write eventually. 

5. I know, it does seem difficult, given the circumstances! 

Yep! The last scene of the whole story is actually the first thing I wrote. I'll have rewrite it when I get there but the idea was always that strong in my head. I just needed to write it down! 

Thank you for stopping by and for all the questions! 

Deni x

• 2 months later...

Hi Deni!  I really enjoyed reading the first chapter of Revival and thought I'd stop by with some questions for you!

1. You mentioned in your review response that you'd had the idea to write about a Ministry election campaign for a while.  What first gave you the inspiration for that idea?

2. Do you have any big influences or head canons on how you see Ministry democracy (if it can be called that) working?

3. Revival is your first next-generation story (that you've posted on the archives, at least).  Do you think it's a more challenging or an easier era to write, so far?

4. You've written in 3 main eras so far - do you have a favourite?

5. Do you have a lot of head canon for how Squibs are treated in the wizarding world, and how that might change post-war?

Hey Sian! Ah!! I'm so glad you enjoyed chapter 1 of Revival and thank you so much for stopping by ?

19 hours ago, nott theodore said:

1. You mentioned in your review response that you'd had the idea to write about a Ministry election campaign for a while.  What first gave you the inspiration for that idea?

2. Do you have any big influences or head canons on how you see Ministry democracy (if it can be called that) working?

3. Revival is your first next-generation story (that you've posted on the archives, at least).  Do you think it's a more challenging or an easier era to write, so far?

4. You've written in 3 main eras so far - do you have a favourite?

5. Do you have a lot of head canon for how Squibs are treated in the wizarding world, and how that might change post-war?

1. The inspiration came from the amount of dirty politics the world has seen over the past few years. Watching it all as the attacks became more and more personal, more ridiculous, I started to think what it would be like in the Wizarding World. J K said on Pottermore that they like to manage themselves better than muggles for fear of being seen as incapable but when you've got people like Rita Skeeter as a prominent journalist is that really going to happen?

2. Democracy is a pretty sketchy word for it most of the time. I have a lot of thoughts one the electoral process but I wont go into those since they'll be appearing in Revival. On the inner working of the Ministry though, it's always been quite clear that career politicians can work their way up pretty quickly (Fudge, Umbridge, ect) whereas others like Kingsley end up at the top after a long time. In Revival, Rebecca is 100% one of the former. In a post-war world I figured the fastest way up would be to attach yourself to Harry or Hermione and ride their coattails to the top, one of the dangerous things about having few people with a lot of influence. That's exactly what she does which we can sort of see in the first chapter. 

3. This is so interesting because if you had asked me a month ago I'd have said more challenging but now... It's more difficult than the first war in the way that you don't have a cannon plot (I don't count the CC) sitting, ready for you to take up. Then Abbi pointed out that I exclusively write OCs, so isn't this just the same thing, and suddenly it became much easier ?  there is SO much freedom to do what you like, to create so many new characters and shuffle the Weasley Potter bunch around until you have your 'line up'. So now I'd say it's probably easier. We'll see how that changes in a few months time though, shall we? 

4. They're all so good to write in their own ways but surprisingly the Rebuilding has been my favourite. As an era, it still feels like there's a lot of tension around, nothing is set in stone and it deals with the more immediate aftermath of the Wars. It's still a dark time with a lot of uncertainty which makes it the most interesting era so far. 

5. Oh my gosh YES! The fact that most squibs leave the wizarding world to live muggle lives says it all, doesn't it? From the hints that we get in the book I've always taken that wizards treat squibs basically as second class citizens. The only one we meet who still lives with wizards is Filtch and he is constantly treated like an idiot (Maybe not the best example but still!). Post war, I imagine it's one of these things that would change but very slowly. That's one of the main themes in Amie Bell, the way attitudes are still so stuck in the past despite the fact she's a more than capable character. 

well hello there ?  leaving these questions For House Cup 2018-2019 Opener

1. how much of yourself/your own personality is in cassie? (if any - if you've written her as your total opposite, was it a conscious decision or did it just happen?). i'm asking because i realised that even when i write male protagonists, they end up having a bit of myself in them and cassie is such an intriguing character so i always wondered how much of it was based on you and how much is based on something/someone else (so basically you can read my question as - what/who inspired cassie the way you've written her?)

2. if you could change anything (one thing/event) in HP canon, what would it be?

3. i hope this isn't too spoiler-y but omg i have to know.............is yaxley going to end on a happy note? alternatively, is sirius going to end up dead like in canon? (here's hoping he doesn't ?

4. do you have any unique HP head canons (from any era or about any character)?

• Like 1

@starbuck Why hello Kris :shifty: Thank you for stopping by! 

1. how much of yourself/your own personality is in cassie? (if any - if you've written her as your total opposite, was it a conscious decision or did it just happen?). i'm asking because i realised that even when i write male protagonists, they end up having a bit of myself in them and cassie is such an intriguing character so i always wondered how much of it was based on you and how much is based on something/someone else (so basically you can read my question as - what/who inspired cassie the way you've written her?)

Oooo... Interesting question. I guess all my OC's end up having a little bit of me in them, Cassie more than most. I didn't really notice I was doing it at the time but she certainly has a lot of the less positive sides to my personality mixed in (Hello being stubborn as hell and ignoring problems until they become way worse than they otherwise would have been) but just blown up to a bigger scale. Last time I checked my running away from problems didn't involve a death cult. Then there's the more Gryffindor sides to her personality which I have too. So, in short, I didn't intend on it but Cassie is basically a way more over dramatic version of me. (Well... slightly more over dramatic ?

2. if you could change anything (one thing/event) in HP canon, what would it be?

I would give Sirius a trial. That one thing could have changed basically the whole of his and Remus and Harry's lives and it's something that legally should have happened. It's just- AGH!!!! That makes me more angry than anything else in the whole first war. He should have gt a trial before he went to Azkaban (I'm not saying he needed to be found innocent... but at least an attempt at justice would have been nice.) 

3. i hope this isn't too spoiler-y but omg i have to know.............is yaxley going to end on a happy note? alternatively, is sirius going to end up dead like in canon? (here's hoping he doesn't ?

Image result for river spoilers gif

4. do you have any unique HP head canons (from any era or about any character)?

My first one is Rose Weasley being more like Ron than Hermione the 2nd.  Sure, she can be smart but she was raised by Ronald Weasley surrounded by older cousins, in my head she is a Wealsey through ad through but with the dangerous addition of Granger brains.

Also I have a lot of thoughts on Marlene Mckinnon. In my head she was older, with kids of her own and acted more like a mum to the Marauders when they first joined the Order while still being a complete badass. She was there for Sirius in that way, rather than being the love interest or the clingy girlfriend he needs to dump before he falls in love with the love interest. She's going to appear in Yaxley in that way eventually. 

Edited by Sleepingbagonthesofa
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wow it's been a while since I updated this but it's nearly NaNo which means I need to get my writerish ducks in a row and sort out what I'm doing!

Yaxley: Chapter Eleven is now up on the archive! Recently I did some reorganising so instead of trying to pack way to much into one long novel I'm going to be splitting the story in two, we will have one 25 chapter long novel (Yaxley) set in the Marauder's seventh year and a sequel set over the last few months of the First Wizarding War. This has made it about a billion times easier to plan so hopefully it works out! 

Other things: I've got a finished one shot about Regulus and a muggle born called Kelly that's set in the Yaxley Universe. It's ready and waiting to go out as soon as I reach that bit of the story. My short story Amie Bell is still in the works but on the back burner at the moment (I will come back to it soon!) because I might have sortof started a new novel... Whoops! 

Revival!

You can find it +Here! (M)

"There are three sides to this story: Yours, mine and the one they'll print in The Prophet."

A drama-free Seventh Year would have been nice, I guess I'm not that lucky.

My first venture into NextGen!! It's a romance that follows Rona McKenna (My OC) as she navigates seventh year while dealing with the pressure of having a famous politician for a mother and being the newly dumped Ex-Girlfriend of James Sirius Potter. There's drama, politics, Rita Skeeter and a good helping of romance all chucked in. I've got a lot in store for her and some themes and plots that I've been drying to explore for a while. 

It's looking to be somewhere between 25 and 30 chapters, chapter two is in the queue at the moment! 

Anyway here's a picspam, in case you were interested, and thank you for coming to my Ted Talk ?

image.png.3751e02a7a535634dc0c0dd5e7b859de.png

• Like 1

Revival 

Next Gen | Louis/OC 

"There are three sides to this story: Yours, mine and the one they'll print in The Prophet."

A drama-free Seventh Year would have been nice, I guess I'm not that lucky.

The story follows Rona McKenna through her seventh year at Hogwarts, starting as her carefully constructed world is crashing around her feet. The stress of being thrown into the media spotlight, her mother (the charismatic and calculating Rebecca McKenna) reaching the final round in the race to become Minister for Magic and the abrupt end of her disastrous relationship with James Sirius Potter has taken it's toll on the cold hearted Slytherin. But on her side she has her friends, a talent for potions and who knows, an unexpected boy just around the corner?

The Main Cast

NaNo 

Soooo... This time I'm focusing on one story, not whatever pops into my head at the time. (Unlike July... Let's not talk about July.)

Revival started off as two separate ideas, a Louis/OC fic and a "post JSP x OC story" about James's ex dealing with the fallout from their relationship. I combined them and Voilà! Revival was born. This is my first proper attempt at a Next Gen story, what I can promise is drama, romance and a nod to some more serious issues and themes. I have a lot in store for my characters and cannot wait to share it with you! 

The first two chapters are up on the archive, you can find them +Here (M)! 

Thanks for stopping by folks! *Sips cocktail* 

• Like 4

Deni!!

As you know I'm super excited about this project! I have some questions! :yay:

1. what processes did you use when coming up with Rona's character? was her development different or follow a similar pattern to how you develop to your other OCs, Cassie or Amie?

2.  What attracted you to writing a next-gen story?

3. From the small amount we've seen so far James and Louis are very different characters - was it a conscious decision to strongly contrast their characters? 

4. what made you decide to combine your two different story ideas? were any of those ideas similar your new plan for Revival or just the very bare bones idea the same?

5. How did you choose the title 'Revival' for your story? 

*shake pom poms* go deni!! 

:banana: 

• Like 1

Abbi!! ❤️ I love your excitement and the questions.?

1. what processes did you use when coming up with Rona's character? was her development different or follow a similar pattern to how you develop to your other OCs, Cassie or Amie?

All of them have come about in different ways. Cassie was a long process of rewriting and developing the same character, Amie just popped into my head one day and Rona came with the 'James's ex' idea. I wanted to have a character who was solely known as "James Potter's Girlfriend" and think what that would do to them. Would she be bitter about it? How would she deal with the outside pressure? Would it have changed her for the better or the worse? And out of that appeared Rona! She took on a life of her own and suddenly had interests, a history and an inner monologue that was screaming to be heard. 

2.  What attracted you to writing a next-gen story?

I love Next Gen. I love the characters, the stories and reading about them but for some reason I'd never written one myself. I had a few ideas and someone told me to follow my muse so here we are! ?

3. From the small amount we've seen so far James and Louis are very different characters - was it a conscious decision to strongly contrast their characters? 

Not to begin with. I've always had two very distinct ideas for what James and Louis would be like. I didn't realise until I started this that they were quite so opposite lol. But it worked for the story and then I put them into a scene with Rona and it only made the divide waaay more obvious! ?

4. what made you decide to combine your two different story ideas? were any of those ideas similar your new plan for Revival or just the very bare bones idea the same?

The ideas just fit together perfectly. I had the bones of both with some extra details and some characters here and there. What was lacking from one was there in the other and the character I had started writing for Louis/OC story was waaaaaay to simmilar to Rona anyway. They were basically the same person so why not just same myself a headache and actually make them the same person? 

5. How did you choose the title 'Revival' for your story? 

Ahahaha... I hate naming stories. I normally name them after the MC but I couldn't do that a third time in a row ?One of the main threads of the story is Rona taking back a some control over her life and finding her own identity again. Revival seemed like a good fit. 

Thank you for the questions hun! Happy writing! ??

• Like 1