News Ticker

Ineke

Ineke

its been a hot minute since ive updated this and... well... i havent written much, tbh. ive just returned from london (and with just i mean its been less than 24 hours since i was there) and im slowly getting back into the swing of things. that being said i do want to make it more of a habit again. i kind of lost it when i lost my streak earlier in the year and ive never really gotten right back into it, but, yeah, i want to start it up again, even if i have days coming up next month where i know writing is basically going to be a no go unless i do it on my phone and thats... well... not fun. lets keep it at that.

regardless, i don't really know what i want to write. sure, rp posts are a thing and will be the thing to keep me going for a bit. that being said, i also want to try nano upcoming month (not that ill make the 50k, but, yknow, just start and see where i end up), but i also dont know what to do with that. i have two wips (drastoria and witchipedia) which, are, well, and endless project and i either need to be in the mood for it or i dont know how to tackle it. there are other wips but im not entirely in the mood for that either (sorry for those wanting an update for the jily muggle office au).

maybe a new story then? idk.  wouldnt know if i want to just yolo a new story and see where i end up, be it fandomwise or of, and which way i want to go and which style and whatnot. which isnt to say i havent done that before because i have but... yeah. there is also this song (lets just rate it m bc yt and bots are going haywire on yw lately so enter the comments at your own risk) which is, for those aware of my style in music, not (symphonic) metal or anything theatre related. it's more like... folkish? regardless, it's a stunning song and ive been wanting to use it as an inspiration for a fic (it also gives me a bit of hook/emma (ouat) vibes with some parts of the lyrics, but idk if i want to write for that fandom, bc... im not so into it that i feel like ive got a good enough grasp on the chars).

so yeah im just basically in sort of limbo with wanting to write but also not knowing what or where to start or... yeah. it isnt november yet, though, so who knows what the rest of october will bring

• Like 1

it's nearing november again so welcome to my chaos of a novelnest

okay so i haven't decided on a goal (prob just... words :'D see how far i'll get esp bc i'll be running across three different countries for concerts at the end of nov. also new pokemon game coming out. i'll be distracted) or what exactly i'm going to write, so i'll just see what i end up writing and how much

that being said! aside from the usual rpg posts/working on some wip's i keep repeating forever (kanthony/jily office au/drastoria/witchipedia) in these novelnests, i had a VERY vague idea while making dinner today and... aside from two v brief sentences and some char names and a VERY vague setting i've got nothing so i might just yolo it all and see where i end up with. unless my brain decides to give me more info and some plot actually forms. who knows.

anyway the vague thing that i had is basically this:

‘it’s a truth universally acknowledged that the maids/staff??? gossip a lot, yet it somehow seems to forever slip the minds of the household?’
‘everyone knows that stonewalk manor holds a lot of secrets, but whether it hold secrets about itself, or it’s inhabitants, forever seems to be the question’

with the following charnames: maisy, daisy, claudette, clive, maude, bernadette, charles. all names (including stonewalk manor bc it did sound slightly different in my head but i cant pinpoint what my head wants it to be and idk? stonewould? stonewood? idk if i like the sound of it) are pending and therefore subject to change. esp bc a load of them are quite similar. idk if this is gon be a regency (and if so im just gon yolo the crap out of it, research can come later, or if its modern era but like a whodunnit kind of thing. either way its got loaaaaaads of possibilities, esp if i do it from staff pov or whoever. and eh. either i get more ideas or ill just see what the hell happens. could be fun either way. and maybe ill write it in full, maybe just 500 words, but its more of an idea ive had in ages, esp for something nonfandom related, so im just gon roll with it.

regardless i hope everyone has a fun time this month and if you wanna stop by in here feel free ❤️

• Eyes 1
  • sparkles 3
  • heart eyes 1

I hope you have a fun time too.  You sound very light-hearted about all this, something so unformed and amorphous that of course it has infinite possibilities.  I'll keep an eye on it to see if anything coalesces out of the ghostly fog.

Haha, I tend to go in no plot no problem style. Nothing more has come out of it, but I tend to just let the story live its own life and see what happens. There's always editting (not that I ever do that, but, yknow, if it actually gets somewhere I might end up doing it after all). Thanks so much for your reply and if I know more I'll definitely post it!

• heart eyes 1

Hi, Ineke.  I came back to your novel nest to see if your vague ideas had taken on a more solid form yet.  I noticed in your introductory post that you mentioned the WIPs that you "keep repeating forever," and I wondered if you have a feeling that this Upstairs/Downstairs idea might have more legs than the older unfinished stories.  Why do you think that might be true?  I also notice that this sounds as if it would be entirely OF, whereas your posted stories are almost all written within a fandom.  Do you think that the greater freedom of not writing within the constraints of a fandom will allow your imagination more scope to expand?

I like the name Stonewalk because manor names rarely include the element -walk.

Hoping to hear more from you.  Servants vs. aristocrats has lots of possibilities, including possibilities for humor.  What about injecting some humorist it?  😁

Hii Vicki!

Unfortunately they have not, but I solely blame that on being absolutely exhausted from work, having had to go to a birthday and just basically being a zombie :'D Hopefully something strikes later, or while I write. Who knows.

As for the more legs... maybe? I'm not sure if it's entirely down to being OF and not restricted to fandom, though I suppose there might be an element to it. I'll be less picky over if I get the chars right, because they're my own, and not just my own take on chars that already exist with the added fear of them maybe coming off as OOC. In a way, I think it might also be due to the fact that, say, for the Drastoria AU, it's been mostly written out of order, or, at least, what I have now, and most of what I'd be writing at first (or... more likely at first), is needing to be in the right headspace for it, for what I have and where I'm most likely to pick up writing, is coming from a dark place. And while I usually have no issues with angst at all, it somehow feels even deeper than just angst, if you get what I mean? So I don't want to pick that up while not being in the rihgt headspace for it, because I feel like it might disturb the flow. As for tje Jily office AU it mostly depends on the note I want written in that chapter and unless I get an idea for that the chapter won't necessarily get written, because I base a lot of the conversation on that. And for the Witchipedia AU I've been wanting to write forever, it's my crippling fear of doing chat only and... well... I've always struggled the most with dialogue so that's just a huge hurdle I need to cross. I hope that all makes sense? If not feel free to ask because I'll try and expand and explain better, haha!

I'm definitely trying to incorporate humor in the stonewalk (I think I might go with that after all) one, haha. I mean, it still could turn out to be more like a whodunnit kind of thing, and I'm definitely not doing period related research until I absolutely need it (because I still don't even know what time period it's set in, we'll see), but I think humor has got to be a given, considering what I thought up so far.

Thanks for the questions!

• heart eyes 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!  Checking in to see what kind of headspace you've been having lately. I know it's a big deal for me to get into the right mind, and I sometimes go off and do things or read things that put me right into the wrong headspace for writing. But now that I know what some of those things are, I'm trying to minimize them this month so I can get some words.

Any progress on your ideas? Witchipedia?  Sometimes it's good to just jump into something you know you're weak at, because that's how you get better.  This whole Regency thing is a big "I have no idea what I'm doing" project, so I totally feel you on that.

Good luck with your words!

thank you!

for what it's worth, i've solely written rpg posts so far (totalling at about 1.8-2ish k now), but ive been very tired and eh... yeah. not much else has been happening (though ive also been very distracted by the pokemon games news so eh yeah. i have an unexpected day off tomorrow however and aside from having dinner at the parents i have nothing planned so maybe something will come from it! you definitely have a point though, so maybe this is the time to not be critical and just do it. thanks for stopping by!

• 4 weeks later...

hey!

i know you said one of your fandom is bridgerton so let's chat! or i'm going to ask you questions anyway!

1.  what do you love so much about kanthony? what do they have over the other bridgerton pairings?
  2. bridgerton, did you read the books first or see the show first?
  3. if you read the books first, did you think the show did them justice? if the show then did you find the book version similar to what we saw on screen?
  4. you've written some fluff pieces about them, share a little of the inspiration behind those?
  5. was writing them as easy or hard as you thought it might be?
  6. maybe spoiler tag - what other bridgerton moments are you excited to see on screen?
  7. who are your next favourite bridgerton pairing?

theatre questions *not really writing related at all*

1. which show are you planning to see next?
  2. whats your favourite musical?
  3. have you seen wicked? do you have any thoughts about up coming movie adaption?
  4. any subject, what would you like to see someone make a musical about?
  5. if any band could have a jukebox musical then what band would you pick?

❤️

• Love 1

12 hours ago, crimson quill said:

hey!

i know you said one of your fandom is bridgerton so let's chat! or i'm going to ask you questions anyway!

1.  what do you love so much about kanthony? what do they have over the other bridgerton pairings?
  2. bridgerton, did you read the books first or see the show first?
  3. if you read the books first, did you think the show did them justice? if the show then did you find the book version similar to what we saw on screen?
  4. you've written some fluff pieces about them, share a little of the inspiration behind those?
  5. was writing them as easy or hard as you thought it might be?
  6. maybe spoiler tag - what other bridgerton moments are you excited to see on screen?
  7. who are your next favourite bridgerton pairing?

theatre questions *not really writing related at all*

1. which show are you planning to see next?
  2. whats your favourite musical?
  3. have you seen wicked? do you have any thoughts about up coming movie adaption?
  4. any subject, what would you like to see someone make a musical about?
  5. if any band could have a jukebox musical then what band would you pick?

❤️

hii abbi! thank you so much for these questions! very much appreciated!

1. i've got to say that the enemies to lovers trope helped a lot in regards to me loving kanthony. that being said, i'm just an enormous sucker for chars with a lot of issues. like. everyone who's seen and/or read bridgerton knows that anthony has a lot of trauma, self-esteem issues (as in, never feeling like he's good enough), but also the lashing out when it gets to be too much and, whether he means to or not, pushes people away without meaning to, and chars like that just hit me square in the chest and i might or might not relate to them a bit too much. and i think that, mostly, is what draws me to them more so than the others are able to do.

2. i can't remember whether i started reading the books before or after seeing season one, but i definitely read them all before season two.

3. i honestly prefer show-anthony to book-anthony, to start with an example. show-anthony seems to be more... human, and less of an ass than he is in the books, even though he very much can be regardless. though that might also have a lot to do with how jonathan bailey portrays him but i digress. regardless, despite the changes they made (for instance: daphne and simon's first born, the entire kate/edwina/anthony plot, now doing colin first instead of benedict, just to name a few things), i still think they do the books justice. that is to say, for now. there have been some changes which have absolutely made me go: how the hell are they going to make it work in relation to the rest of the books and all that (ie the entire marina/philip thing, because in the books marina is family of the bridgertons, and shes not in the shows, and that is an entire plotpoint for one of the other bridgerton siblings), so we'll see how i think about that later, haha. regardless, so far major things have remained largely the same, even if they threw stuff around (such as the bee scene being a damn catylist for the wedding in the books and... well. despite important it doesnt happen the same way in the show), and they made it work despite all that. this might have gotten all too rambly, haha, sorry about that, but lets just say that for now its similar enough, but im not sure how the rest of the series will follow up on that.

4. i'm not entirely sure what the inspiration was between some of them (but then, i've written all of them during nightshifts at work, so that might be why), but the one with the catching the other singing/dancing was heavily inspired by me knowing jonathan bailey can sing (and do it well. i mean, he didnt win an olivier for nothing), and i wanted to implement that, because anthony definitely wouldnt be showcasing that for just about anyone. probably wont even think himself that good, and just a thing he does for his children (and siblings when they were young). and, well, i'm just a sucker for men with babies so that choice was very easily made!

5. a bit of both? it went easier than expected, but it's still damn hard. but that might just be because i want to do them justice, and i stress too much over that, tbh.

6. i'm not sure if this counts as a spoiler exactly, but i just want to see anthony with babies. we got ROBBED in season 2, because he merely looked and smiled at daphne's baby, and he didn't hold him or whatever, or get too close, and im just like jadbdavdydsvfsd about that. esp bc theres apparently a cut scene where he held baby hyacinth for the first time and as the first person to do so and im like: whyyyy. i also just v much want to see benedict's story (s4, hopefully, considering they are doing colin first now), and if we ever get to it, gregory's story, bc thats just a trainwreck waiting to happen in the best possible way and godd. i also just want to see more of lady danbury bc shes great (which means i also v much want hyacinths story bc she features a lot in there. for reasons).

7. oh god. i don't knowwww. maybe hyacinth/gareth? greg/lucy? benedict/sophie? (unless they go and change their names too, i mean, who tf knows). i might need to reread the books to give you a more definite answer to that, i'm afraid.

1. charlie and the chocolate factory, actually! the dutch version, that is. it's going to tour here, and i'm going with two coworkers (one of whom claims to hate musicals, yet she wanted to go, so we shall see how she enjoys this), and two of the sisters of one of my coworker (one of whom is like 10 or something, so that'll be exciting to see her reaction)

2. i think it's got to be &juliet at the moment. im hella sad it's going to close in march and i won't be able to see it anymore before that, because it's just that good. other than that perhaps mamma mia? a classic, but it's abba, it's fun, i'm often crying with laughter, and mazz murray is just fucking amazing.

3. i have! but it's been years. like, 10 years ago, years, so i can't really remember too much of it. as for the movie - i'm beyond excited about jonathan bailey, but that is a surprise to no one i think. i'm not familiar with cynthia at all, so i can't say much about her, but i am very apprehensive about ariana grande. like, she can sing, but it's often way too nasally for me, and too much (like, over the top, a bit?)? so i'm very scared as to what she's going to do with wicked. like, i was the same with beyonce as nala with the lion king and i was very much not happy with the way she did that, so i'm just hoping it won't be the same for me with ariana. so for now it's a bit mixed feelings, but i'm still going to watch it when it comes out!

4. i'm truly not sure if i'm the right person to ask this haha. i'm not sure if it's a subject per say, but i would love to see more shows where lgbtaq+ and neurodivergent people get to shine. maybe not with them on the forefront specifically (or maybe yes, but it would heavily depend on how it's been made, not, like, with sia's music movie bc thats just... ive only seen clips but it was a disgrace and not done well at all and... yeah), but where it's just like... normal, and how it is,  without any stigmas or stereoypes, just how it should be. just... more representation.

5. oh god. certainly not most of what i listen to (bc, how the hell are you going to put nightwish or auri or whoever in a jukebox?), and stuff like abba has been done already, and i'm pretty sure same with the spice girls, and other 90's and early noughties have been heavily featured in &juliet already... idk though, more 90's and early 00's? like you can't ever go wrong with that and it'll be just a lot of fun. i'm sorry it's not specifically a band but... i guess my music taste is either too limited or too out there for that.

i hope this answers it all and thank you again for those questions!

• 1 month later...

so while nothing much really came from nano (oops, but then, i figured the concerts and pokemon would distract me and... it did), i am currently yet again at a 15 day writing streak :3 its been rpg posts only, but a lot of it focussing on dialogue only, so while i still struggle, i figure that it's a good practise considering it's my weak spot. lts see if it continues and will actually help me get back into writing my wips :3

• elmo fire 1
  • sparkles 2
  • heart eyes 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes yes!

Writing is writing, that's great that you're doing it! I have also written dialogue-only sequences... sometimes multiple versions of it, because when I see the talking flow, it gives the whole scene more structure that I can write around. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does this. :)

• 1 month later...

@Pixileanin i wholeheartedly can say i did not see your comment oh my god i am so sorry! im happy it works for you! i still struggle when i see the talking flow because i see nothing happening around it, but im slowly noticing the change that i am starting to see it all. so its definitely a good practise to try and just write dialogue and then center thoughts and actions around it and maybe edit as i go!

as for this months basically the same thing continued, no wip writing, rpg writing did happen, including several dialogue only topics, so thats good! on a two month write every day streak now so yay

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

@Ineke

Hello!

Spreading cheer, and also, I see that you love theater! Me, too! Tell me about the best and worst theater experiences you have had recently!

My last theater experience was this fall, where I got to see Something Rotten in my home town. The cast was all Broadway-experienced actors, including someone I personally know and work with, who played Nostradamus like the role was written specifically for him. (He has a day job when he's not gigging). And it was fantastic! The fun part of the show was when the small local theater had a sound glitch and the speakers stopped working for a few minutes, and we got to watch the poor lead improv his way through five minutes of dead time. My son actually thought it was written that way in the script. I told him, "that's how professionals do it!"

@Pixileanin oh oh my god, I don't think I can actually say something that's the best or the worst? I mean, seeing Christopher Eccleston live in a christmas carol was an absolute highlight and he was absolutely made for that role, but worst?

bc, you see, the thing is, i can never have a normal show? either i have a bunch of covers (i had 2 at a christmas carol and for a limited run thats highly unusual), or shit goes wrong on stage or something happens in the audience which just makes me (and sometimes the actors too) crack up? so at this point whatever happens i just roll with it, tbh.

like, just to some up some instances what happened while i was at a show in no particular order:

1. at mamma mia, during the I Do song, there is this break where whoever plays donna just pauses bc she needs to think before she says i do. so in that pause someone in the back of the audience straight up yelled I DO, which caused Mazz (who was on as donna) to crack (which we could see clearly bc we were near the front)

2. alladin in the netherlands (the time i went w my parents): carpet refused to fly off of stage, resulting in a 30 min showstop

3. at cursed child, someone, clearly going in blind, reacted at something with a very loud FUCK, which caused all the ppl on stage to legit crack (they all had their backs towards us, but you could clearly see them laughing and it took a bit for them to compose themselves enough to continue)

4. a show w a massive ensemble. except not. so many people were out ill that the ensemble was reduced to _three_ people, and one of the first covers couldnt even cover bc he was the only one available to be able to cover another role if need be and had to be standby instead. i think i had 11 covers that show.

5. going to a show (six) where so many people had fallen out that someone who'd only done the workshops had to fill in. she did NOT know the choreography, so she was just sat to the side doing her vocals there while the rest did the choreography

6. props breaking and actors having to improvise on the spot because of it, or pretend it's meant to be this way when, well, it's clearly not

7. chars who failed to hook themselves up and had to be walked off the stage which... was awkward

8. actors injuring themselves on stage because of moronic actions (looking at u, luke sumner. faceplanting to the ground (which he did on purpose) was bound to get you injured at some point. he also broke a prop in the same show, shortly before this happened)

9. actors simply _forgetting_ to show up for a scene, which made the rest go ??????? before continuing on as if it was meant to happen

10. that one time stanley tucci + fam (but not felicity blunt) sat directly behind us at a show. cast wasnt aware of it. we made them aware bc we're on dms w some of the cast. you could see the moment when the message was read and the cast was informed bc the energy levels went up by miles

and thats just from the top of my head. not all of them is really recent, but, yknow, at this point you can just assume that if youre at the theatre wth me, either shit goes wrong or we've got a lot of covers. there;s no in between. does that answer your question?

love that you had a great show though, and youre right, thats truly how professionals do it!

• heart eyes 1