News Ticker

Battleship: Hogwarts

magemadi

1 hour ago, pookha said:

There were posts on the discord under the slytherin chat that have been deleted. They may not have been in the rules and deleted here, but they are definitely gone from the slytherin chat channel on the discord.

We're currently looking into this issue but it may be a while until we have an answer for you due to some of our Prefects currently being at work and unable to respond. 

• Like 1

@magemadi (or other Prefects)  

First I apologize if this is answere elsewhere but I can't find it.

If the other team hasn't posted in more than 3 hours, does our 3 hour window of not posting start from the last thing we posted or from the time the prefect checked that post? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, potionspartner said:

@magemadi (or other Prefects)  

First I apologize if this is answere elsewhere but I can't find it.

If the other team hasn't posted in more than 3 hours, does our 3 hour window of not posting start from the last thing we posted or from the time the prefect checked that post? 

The 3 hour window of not posting should be from when the prefect checked that post -- as the updated rules state no more than 3 uninterrupted OR unchecked hit attempts, this is what we think fits best for the situation. 

Also, couple of updates from the G v S thread for everyone: 

• If a House accidentally posts a 4th (or more) hit attempt, that attempt will not count at that time, but the task itself can be used within 3 hours of its original post time as a new, valid hit attempt. 
  • Sinks DO NOT count as interruptions to the 3 hour waiting period for hit attempts. 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, magemadi said:

The 3 hour window of not posting should be from when the prefect checked that post -- as the updated rules state no more than 3 uninterrupted OR unchecked hit attempts, this is what we think fits best for the situation. 

My fellow Prefects pointed out an error with this, so here's the final statement on the 3 hour window of no posting!

• Houses must wait 3 hours from the last hit attempt post to post more hit attempts if they've made 3 uninterrupted hit attempts OR have 3 total unchecked hit attempts AND must wait for Prefect confirmation before posting again, even if more than 3 hours elapses from the last post & a Prefect checking them. 
    • Example:
      • Ravenclaw posts 3 hit attempts, Hufflepuff posts 3 hit attempts.
      • Both Houses must wait for Prefect confirmation of at least 1 hit attempt before they can post 1 more hit attempt. Hufflepuff must also either a) wait for three hours AND Prefect confirmation or b) wait for Ravenclaw return fire AND Prefect confirmation. 
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, magemadi said:

If a House accidentally posts a 4th (or more) hit attempt, that attempt will not count at that time, but the task itself can be used within 3 hours of its original post time as a new, valid hit attempt. 

Hi, I've got another question - does the "3 hours of its original post time" refer to the time of the completion of the task itself, or only to the time the hit attempt was made? because we have some hit tasks completed from when before this clarification was made that are now older than three hours, so I was wondering if we could use those still?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VaguelyCreativeName said:

Hi, I've got another question - does the "3 hours of its original post time" refer to the time of the completion of the task itself, or only to the time the hit attempt was made? because we have some hit tasks completed from when before this clarification was made that are now older than three hours, so I was wondering if we could use those still?

Those 3 hours of original post time mean the time at which the task itself was completed -- however, this only applies to accidental hit attempt tasks, NOT to anything you may be doing to post for your 'future' tasks. 

So if you have some hit tasks that have not been posted as a hit attempt yet that are older than 3 hours, those would count towards your 10 'future' tasks that you can stack up and use whenever.

However, if you have hit tasks that were posted as a hit attempt that are older than 3 hours and were not counted for hit attempts, those hit tasks are not eligible for re-use later. 

Hope that makes sense!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@pookha After a whole lot of digging, we have come to the conclusion that something is missing from the discussions, however, we are unable to tell exactly what is missing or where it is missing from. 

I will take full responsibility for informing the Slytherins at least twice that pre posting was not allowed and I do remember including it somewhere outside of the Slytherin Common Room but I cannot remember where and have no idea what happened to it. 

There was a lot of back and forth going on that first day of gameplay and all of the available prefects were in and out of the initial rules post as well as the game threads and discussions in our respective common rooms and we believe that what might have happened is that two of us were editing the rules post at the same time without us knowing. I must have posted first and when whoever else was in the thread posted, my edits disappeared. 

As far as any missing Discord posts go, we communicated with Branwen and she confirmed that only the main HPFT account and the staff are the only ones that are able to delete posts outside of the original poster. Meaning that no one other than myself and the staff would have been able to delete anything that I posted in the chat. Staff are not able to see into other house’s chats from their personal accounts. 

At this time we do not believe that any posts were deleted from the chat related to gameplay or any rules. 

With that being said,  Juls and I have done our best to stay out of discussions in the house discord channel related to the event and any strategy discussions since we cannot participate in the event and as such cannot participate in any strategy discussions. The only things I have stated outside of cheering the team on were announcements about approaching deadlines for board submission and a reminder that all discussions related to specific gameplay strategies needed to be cross posted to the common room discussion. (I generally make this statement for every event and have made it several times during past events. I think I stated it at least once for every event in the Hufflepuff chat during the finale) 

I apologize for any confusion that occurred as a result and hopefully this clears everything up.  

• Like 4

23 hours ago, magemadi said:

Furthermore, each House has been extremely equal in it's # of players -- everyone's had at least 3 players and no one's had no more than 4 players during Battleship, so from a numbers standpoint, just because a House is "bigger" than others in terms of sheer numbers, that's absolutely not the case for this event.

Just because an advantage was not utilized does not mean it is not an advantage.

on the deleted message front. If it was not a prefect who deleted the discord messages, could it have been a participant who was relaying rules posted in the common room?

2 hours ago, pookha said:

Just because an advantage was not utilized does not mean it is not an advantage.

on the deleted message front. If it was not a prefect who deleted the discord messages, could it have been a participant who was relaying rules posted in the common room?

Carl, this event is on a larger scale than the prefects have done in a while, and because of the rapid gameplay, there will be times we miss something, and there will be times where we will have to address questions and issues while the event is unfolding, as was the case yesterday. Unfortunately, this happened during the time when there were only 2 prefects who were awake, and they proceeded and made the decision that they determined to be the best course of action. When the rest of us woke up, we were able to discuss the matter further and determined that the decision they made was the best way to proceed. This event is on the scale that many staff run events are managed, and there are far fewer of us than there are staffers (and most of us are US-based). As it’s been stated several times in not only this thread but also in the main discord chats by not only us but the admins as well, it is 100% impossible for us to predict how many house members are going to show up for an event or how an event is going to play out.  

Currently, there are 4 prefects who are former staffers, and we know how hard it is running events that are both fun and fair for all the houses involved. Like the gamekeepers and the rest of the staff involved in event planning, we are aware that events naturally favor large houses and when planning, we do our best to implement restrictions in an attempt to even out the playing field while still granting anyone who wants to the ability to participate.  

As we cannot see into the other teams’ common rooms (and for the duration of the event, non-admin staff cannot see into them either), we have no way of knowing outside of the official posts how many members of a house are participating and again outside of cheering our housemates on and answering questions we CANNOT and WILL NOT comment or participate in discussions involving gameplay or strategy. We are remaining impartial while running this event. 

We have no control over how many members choose to participate, and if a house wants to use their numbers to their advantage, then that’s on them, and again we CANNOT and WILL NOT make any comments for or against the matter. Slytherin asked privately and was told in round 1 that no pre-posting would be allowed, but due to a failure on our part, that rule was NEVER communicated to other Houses. We should have required that rule was asked and answered in the main thread. We are human and we erred. Any House that engaged in pre-posting after that literally did not know they were doing anything wrong. When the discrepancy came up, we realized that whatever decision we came up with could be unfair to one House or the other. Sticking to the no-pre-posting decision would have penalized and invalidated work done by other Houses through no fault of their own. This is why we determined that the best course of action was to limit the pre-posting to a MAX of 10 posts per house. It was the only way we could be as fair as possible to the smaller houses while still respecting that our members are scattered across the globe and time zones/ availability are different for everyone. (This is why we were so late in responding to your question yesterday because I knew what to look for and was the one who needed to check things out and I was at work from 10 am and didn’t arrive home until almost midnight CT)

Additionally, when we first devised this game, the “3-shots rule” was created and implemented not only for the sake of our sanity but to even the field for the smaller, less active houses, so the game is less reliant on a huge show of force over a small period of time. But ultimately we can’t control how many members of each House actually choose to participate or sit out the game.

So far, there has been less than 5 members from each house that we can see actively participating and posting in this event based on who is posting in the game threads and who is actually completing the tasks. 

We have been working tirelessly behind the scenes with many of us staying up well past what should be healthy for anyone, and having an open discussion on how best to proceed with all the drama that has unfolded over the last 36 hours and feel that the rules in their current state are the best way to proceed. Our ruling is FINAL, and unless another major issue arises, we will NOT be changing it for the remainder of the round.

Now moving on to the missing Discord posts, as I stated last night, at this time, we do not believe any posts were deleted, but if they were, they were NOT deleted by a staffer or prefect. Off-site communication is self modded, and if a member decided to delete a post or message, then that is their right. The ONLY time a staffer will step in and direct/mod off-site communication will be if a discussion is getting out of hand, or there is something more sinister going on (for full details, see the staff blogs and site guidelines). Prefects do NOT have mod powers on the Discord and cannot delete posts from anyone other than themselves. 

This issue has opened our eyes to running future events and effectively communicating any rule changes or clarifications to all the houses. We are doing our best to keep things as fair as possible, and we are sorry that you cannot see that. 

We will NOT be commenting on this any further. Any additional comments from any members about this issue will be directed towards the admins for a FINAL decision on how best to proceed. Any other questions related to gameplay or rules clarifications are welcome and encouraged.

Edited by MalfoysAngel
  • Like 5

Hey prefects, y'all are lovely and are doing amazing. ❤️ 

I had a question regarding the mirroring of the ships. Considering a mirror image is not simply turning a piece upside down or 90 degrees (i.e. changing orientation), is that allowed? I ask because not all the houses have pieces that are able to be mirrored. Thank you lovelies ❤️ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maraudertimes said:

Hey prefects, y'all are lovely and are doing amazing. ❤️ 

I had a question regarding the mirroring of the ships. Considering a mirror image is not simply turning a piece upside down or 90 degrees (i.e. changing orientation), is that allowed? I ask because not all the houses have pieces that are able to be mirrored. Thank you lovelies ❤️ 

Hey Lo!

Mirroring is allowed as it's basically a different form of rotation -- the only restriction we put on arranging pieces for this event was no diagonal placements so y'all could have more fun with your board arrangements. ^_^ 

• Like 1

@magemadi @sibilant hello y'all, quick clarification please! if i post two recommendations in a thread (meeting all other criteria, it'll be two separate books i'm recommending), is that one hit or two? i can't see if this has been raised before, so sorry if it has! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, page thirteen. said:

@magemadi @sibilant hello y'all, quick clarification please! if i post two recommendations in a thread (meeting all other criteria, it'll be two separate books i'm recommending), is that one hit or two? i can't see if this has been raised before, so sorry if it has! 

heya! Each recommendation is a single hit, even if they're in the same post. Just make sure you're denoting which recommendation is for which hit when making your posts :) 

• Like 1

Just now, magemadi said:

heya! Each recommendation is a single hit, even if they're in the same post. Just make sure you're denoting which recommendation is for which hit when making your posts :) 

sweet, thank you! 

• Like 1

Thank you so much, prefects 🤗 I know this was hard work, but the game was a lot of fun, extremely clever, and a great way to begin the new Cup year! 💕

spacer.png

• Like 5

For a character sorting, does it go on our own blog or on a special blog?

1 minute ago, potionspartner said:

For a character sorting, does it go on our own blog or on a special blog?

Your blog is fine. Unless I’m mistaken, we don’t have a special blog for character sortings.