Welcome to FanficTalk

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in events, challenges, discussions, and review swaps - or even just play games!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

FanficTalk has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archive

Find us on Social Media

You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • we're very excited to announce our new name: fanfictalk!
  • get ready to trick or treat!

Movie Musicals

RogueSlytherin

RogueSlytherin

I saw the broadway thread, but wanted to start one up for movie musicals specifically. What are some of y'alls favorites? I intentionally kept out Disney content cause that's got to be its own thread.

I like Grease 2 more than people should, was a big fan of the music to Greatest Showman - not so much the movie itself, and liked the enjoyed the adaptation of Les Mis regardless of singing quality; I just thought it was a very human approach to the story.

Here are some more favorites for me:

• Moulin Rouge (the 2020 broadway adaptation of this movie has some BOPS on it)
  • La La Land
  • 1997 Cinderella with Brandy and Whitney Houston
  • Pitch Perfect
  • Footloose (The OG is good, but the remake is better. I said what I said)
  • 1990s Newsies with Christian Bale as Cowboy 😍
  • Rocky Horror Picture Show
  • The Sound of Music

Almost all of the Broadway Adaptations - though most of these I prefer the stage versions:

• Into The Woods
  • Mama Mia
  • CHICAGO (The editing is masterful!)
  • Hairspray 
  • Sweeney Todd (no one else but Tim Burton could have made this movie)
  • Rent

tinyporcelainehorses

I love movie musicals!  I'm in a weird place with adapted ones where I recognise that for the most part it's really hard to translate a stage musical to a film in a way that makes it good - but generally, I'll enjoy it anyway.  Like I know that the singing (cough Russell Crowe just stop cough) is awful in places, I know there are a lot of weird shots, but absolutely none of that matters when I'm watching Les Miserables - I'm so easily swept away by the story, the orchestration, and the sheer feelings it manages to invoke.  I will add that the Joel Schumacher Phantom of the Opera is so absolutely terribly made, shot, and sang that it manages to be a rare exception to this.

I think the movie I'm most sad to miss out on for coronavirus is In The Heights - I really hope we get a proper release of that one sooner rather than later!

• Like 1

Hufflepuffbookworm1990

I’m a huge fan of movie musicals. The Sound of Music is one of my favorites. Julie Andrews is amazing. I’m a new fan of Hamilton.

I remember watching Les Miserables in the theatre with my cousin. It’s cool to think that Eddie now has an Oscar.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
RogueSlytherin

Not getting In the Heights this year was DEVASTATING! I think I've only recovered because I heard Dear Evan Hanson is now in the process of being made into a film so now I will endure the wait for both 🤞