News Ticker

Original Fiction Fall 2020 Goals

magemadi

This Fall I would like to submit two of my flash fiction stories around and see if I can get them to stick anywhere. I've already written the stories, so the work would be in finding places/writing cover letters, etc. For some reason, that feels really daunting, but I want to give it a try. I also want to make a plan for a blog re-launch. I started one back in April to have a place to host some resources for the quarantine Holy Week, and then I never posted anything else. But I do have ideas for essays and such, and that could be a good home for those things. 

• Like 6

everyone's goals sound so great! here are mine, and i'm so excited to be feeling the original fic itch again ^_^
let's just hope i don't get sucked into more murphy/emma fics, because that's a definite possibility

• outline nano novel

okay, so it's just one goal, but it's a big one. i really want to try a traditional preptober with this. i've been a pantser for most of my life, and that's probably why i have so many unfinished stories because i lose steam. keeping my fingers crossed for this one, though, because i'm super excited about the idea.

good luck, everyone! :hug:

Edited by dreamshadow
  • Like 7

@magemadi Yay for making this thread, it was the last push I think I needed into deciding to focus on OF this November :) So you're working on a novel and screenplay both? 

@victoria_anne I see how you feel, but I would also def not call it a fail! End of October is still (kinda) far, so you might still pick it up. I've also just crawled out of a month-long creative slump! Ooh but vampire story and anthology sound awesome? Is this like a real-life anthology you're submitting to that will get printed or published online? In any case, good luck!

@la_topolina Love your goals and how diverse they all sound, flash fiction to blog to essays, nice! Good luck with it all :) Anything HP-related?

@dreamshadow hey Jill, yay for OF!

let's just hope i don't get sucked into more murphy/emma fics, because that's a definite possibility

Haha, no one will be mad if you do, though, I'm sure ! ❤️ I'm also totally going to do my best with prepping, I always always underestimate my outline and the character building. What methods/resources are you using?

My goal for this Autumn before November is definitely outlining my planned fantasy novel, working title Myths of Ruin, just getting a decent outline going, work on world-building and really look at the characters. I randomly started writing this story based on a brief idea like two years ago into a tattered gaudy journal, wrote maybe 20 pages of it, and reading it back some of it sounds fun, so I really want to explore that idea :)

• Like 6

18 hours ago, victoria_anne said:

@magemadi I saw this on Twitter and scurried right over! I love the sound of your goals 😍 I can't wait to hear how you go with them!

I've already failed one of my goals (ugh, I'm trying not to use the word fail but it's so hard to not feel like that). I wanted to finish the first draft of my fairy novel by the end of October but I lost steam. It might still happen though, so we'll see. For the next few weeks my goals are:

1. Finish horror story and submit to anthology
2. Write short story for assignment
3. Write pilot for assignment
4. Plot NaNo novel

Shhh you haven't failed, you've simply adjusted your deadline ;) 

These all sound like pretty cool goals and projects, I'm very intrigued what kind/genre of pilot you're writing!

17 hours ago, la_topolina said:

This Fall I would like to submit two of my flash fiction stories around and see if I can get them to stick anywhere. I've already written the stories, so the work would be in finding places/writing cover letters, etc. For some reason, that feels really daunting, but I want to give it a try. I also want to make a plan for a blog re-launch. I started one back in April to have a place to host some resources for the quarantine Holy Week, and then I never posted anything else. But I do have ideas for essays and such, and that could be a good home for those things. 

Yay Noelle!! I've never submitted anything of the kind, so I'd love to learn more about your journey & process with doing this type of original fiction work ^_^ 

3 hours ago, dreamshadow said:

everyone's goals sound so great! here are mine, and i'm so excited to be feeling the original fic itch again ^_^

• outline nano novel

okay, so it's just one goal, but it's a big one. i really want to try a traditional preptober with this. i've been a pantser for most of my life, and that's probably why i have so many unfinished stories because i lose steam. keeping my fingers crossed for this one, though, because i'm super excited about the idea.

good luck, everyone! :hug:

Jilllllll! I am also a huge pantser too so let's hope I also get planning done in October 😅 I'm interested to know what kind of genre/theme/feel your novel is going to be!

2 hours ago, shadowycorner said:

My goal for this Autumn before November is definitely outlining my planned fantasy novel, working title Myths of Ruin, just getting a decent outline going, work on world-building and really look at the characters. I randomly started writing this story based on a brief idea like two years ago into a tattered gaudy journal, wrote maybe 20 pages of it, and reading it back some of it sounds fun, so I really want to explore that idea :)

Eli I absolutely love that working title already, it sounds super mysterious and exciting especially in fantasy context! If you need ideas for how to organize world-building stuff, I know there's lots of great resources out there (like worldanvil.com & scrivener) to help with that. :) 

I'm thinking of doing weekly pings to check in with everyone, so how does a Monday morning (PST time) ping work for everyone? 

Also, a lowkey plug here for those of you who don't know about it, but I've created a discord server where I explicitly discuss both my screenplay world/universe & my fantasy world/universe as I work through the world-building & writing of both of those so I can get feedback frequently & also keep things organized and not just in a google doc. It's also a place for just chatting about original fiction everyone's working on, which I think is great, so lmk if you'd like an invite to it!

In the meantime, my goals for the rest of September are filled with finishing up challenges that are due very soon (or overdue, lbr) 😬

Edited by magemadi
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, shadowycorner said:

Haha, no one will be mad if you do, though, I'm sure ! ❤️ I'm also totally going to do my best with prepping, I always always underestimate my outline and the character building. What methods/resources are you using?

they're just distracting, tbh :P

i don't really have a specific method for planning. right now i've got a braindump doc for my of, which reads more or less like a snarky discord post. eventually i'm going to try to break this up into the 3rd act structure, because that's the easiest way for me to see the beginning, middle, and end. i tend to watch a lot of youtube videos for ideas: +abbie emmons (m) is someone i've been following for a while and she's got some great resources, so that + whatever i remember from my creative writing degree ;)

what about you? what are some of your  (or anyone's, really) favorite planning methods? 

oh my god, i love this + your title is just??? so good, how do you even title fics, eli??

36 minutes ago, magemadi said:

Jilllllll! I am also a huge pantser too so let's hope I also get planning done in October 😅 I'm interested to know what kind of genre/theme/feel your novel is going to be!

madiii! glad i'm not the only pantser attempting to plot :P this is going to be my seeking normal original fic (which i've tried a few times, but have never quite got), but instead of teens at hogwarts, it's going to be young adults (20s) at some kind of school [undetermined] with elemental magic, mysteries, and maybe some ghosts or something. i don't really know, it's kind of a hot mess at the moment

also i don't think i've ever actually said this, but it's so cool that you're writing a screenplay!! 

the discord server sounds super fun; and monday mornings pst usually work for me! ^_^

• Like 3

I'm thinking of doing weekly pings to check in with everyone, so how does a Monday morning (PST time) ping work for everyone? 

Also, a lowkey plug here for those of you who don't know about it, but I've created a discord server where I explicitly discuss both my screenplay world/universe & my fantasy world/universe as I work through the world-building & writing of both of those so I can get feedback frequently & also keep things organized and not just in a google doc. It's also a place for just chatting about original fiction everyone's working on, which I think is great, so lmk if you'd like an invite to it!

yes please, i'd love that !

I've never tried World Anvil, gotta check it out :)

Is your screenplay connected to your OF fic Planetary Boundaries which i've been meaning to read for forever, i swear ?

madiii! glad i'm not the only pantser attempting to plot :P this is going to be my seeking normal original fic (which i've tried a few times, but have never quite got), but instead of teens at hogwarts, it's going to be young adults (20s) at some kind of school [undetermined] with elemental magic, mysteries, and maybe some ghosts or something. i don't really know, it's kind of a hot mess at the moment

Jill, this sounds like pure awesomeness. I already loved the original supernatural element you had in Seeking Normal, so seeing the whole story premise be expanded in that direction sounds super exciting !

• Like 2

Is your screenplay connected to your OF fic Planetary Boundaries which i've been meaning to read for forever, i swear ?

It is exactly the screenplay itself, actually! 🙈 Since we could post things of that formatting I figured "why not" and have the first 7 scenes on the archives, but we'll see what happens once I get a full first draft written/edits made if I end up hiding/deleting it on the archive if I were to want to move forward with it in some capacity. :) 

• Like 1

I'm going all in this fall with my novel I've been planning for the last few months. It's sort of literary fiction-y, with strong coming of age/YA elements. It's a tone and genre you'll know very well if you've ever read any of my fic, so hopefully it comes relatively easy. I'm hoping for 60k words from now to the end of November. I'm currently sitting on 3k good ones, so we'll see if I'm able to stick to it. 

• Like 7

Hey hey!!!  It's great to see the OF Fall Goals up!!

I'd love to say that I've been busy writing, but yeah...

Goals:

Finish typing in my OF first draft

Write another short story or three (probably just the one)

Finish plotting another OF novel and get a sense for tone

So glad to see everyone participating here!!  Yes, @magemadi I would love an invite to the discord.  That would be great. Writing OF is lonely business without a tribe. I miss that!!

• Like 4

Wow, this all sounds incredibly impressive!

For me, my OF goals are:

1. Worldbuilding for the fantasy universes I've been thinking about

2. Write a short story or two for each universe to help develop the characters and setting

@magemadi I've never used Discord before - is it helpful for this kind of thing?

• Like 3

On 9/22/2020 at 5:27 PM, crestwood said:

I'm going all in this fall with my novel I've been planning for the last few months. It's sort of literary fiction-y, with strong coming of age/YA elements. It's a tone and genre you'll know very well if you've ever read any of my fic, so hopefully it comes relatively easy. I'm hoping for 60k words from now to the end of November. I'm currently sitting on 3k good ones, so we'll see if I'm able to stick to it. 

Did someone say LITERARY FICTION-Y WITH STRONG COMING OF AGE/YA ELEMENTS? I would absolutely love to read this if you decide to share it with us 💛 (Also hi Joey, idk if you remember me but I'm also my_voice_rising on HPFF and we used to make each other sicc Spotify playlists and I hope you've been doing great!)

(Also, @GKWriter not to butt in, but the HPFT Discord is a wonderful, magical place and you should totally join!)

Anyway! I love seeing everyone's goals for original fiction. HPFT is home to such talented writers and it's really lovely to see that folks are exploring their craft and pursuing publication.

My goals for this fall are:

• Attend more (every?) weekly write-ins via Zoom
  • Complete a draft of my short story (it's about draft dodgers in the Vietnam War era, also a coming-of-age plot with a bit of a twist ending.)
  • Ask my friends to read my draft—yike! Gotta start sharing sometime

🍂 Happy goal-making!

Edited by firewhiskey_ginger
gotta plug that discord
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, GKWriter said:

Wow, this all sounds incredibly impressive!

For me, my OF goals are:

1. Worldbuilding for the fantasy universes I've been thinking about

2. Write a short story or two for each universe to help develop the characters and setting

@magemadi I've never used Discord before - is it helpful for this kind of thing?

I'm looking forward to seeing what you write, fantasy has sooo many opportunities to explore! 

Discord, at least for me, is a superior social media/network thing, and the server I'm running allows me to organize important bits of my world-building in a way that allows for easy categorization but also feedback from others who are in the server! 

If you're not on the FFT discord yet, I'd maybe suggest joining there first to get a taste of what Discord is like ^_^ 

1 hour ago, firewhiskey_ginger said:

Did someone say LITERARY FICTION-Y WITH STRONG COMING OF AGE/YA ELEMENTS? I would absolutely love to read this if you decide to share it with us 💛 (Also hi Joey, idk if you remember me but I'm also my_voice_rising on HPFF and we used to make each other sicc Spotify playlists and I hope you've been doing great!)

(Also, @GKWriter not to butt in, but the HPFT Discord is a wonderful, magical place and you should totally join!)

Anyway! I love seeing everyone's goals for original fiction. HPFT is home to such talented writers and it's really lovely to see that folks are exploring their craft and pursuing publication.

My goals for this fall are:

• Attend more (every?) weekly write-ins via Zoom
  • Complete a draft of my short story (it's about draft dodgers in the Vietnam War era, also a coming-of-age plot with a bit of a twist ending.)

🍂 Happy goal-making!

Sarah, woooo! Yay for write-ins, those sound so fun! I believe you can finish this short story no sweat. What's the intended length of it? 

I'm not working on it UNTIL NaNo because I need the separation/time dedication b u t this NaNo I will be going through and editing the rough draft of my nano project of last year

:elmofire: 

and just diving back into my queer-verse, queer found family feelings, and I'm very, very excited to do so. It's YA fiction, will hopefully be published someday, might be posted on here I have not decided yet, and just makes feel happy to see characters who represent me, as well as my friends, and the way I would much rather the world worked :hug::bi: :genderqueer: :lgbtqia:

• Like 5

4 hours ago, firewhiskey_ginger said:

I did! I will absolutely be sharing it with everyone here once I've gotten a hold of it - I definitely wouldn't have been able to write it without the people I met here. omg yes I remember you! I think of you every time I listen to that playlist. (You actually introduced me to LCD Soundsystem, who are the topic of my next book after this one, coincidentally.)

The short story sounds really cool and ambitious! I am so willing to read a draft if you need another eye :D

• Like 2

@crestwood GASP did I legit introduce you to them?!??!???????? WHAT AN HONOR! Also when I was making sure you were the same Crestwood and looked at your profile (lol idk) I saw that your taste in music is just as *italian finger kiss* as before. And hell yeah, I'm so excited to read your story! And now v curious about the LCD Soundsystem book!

@magemadi ohhh goshhhh I could see this clocking in at 50+ pages even for a "short story" because I do tend to go on (side-eyeing Periphery's 32 chapters) Will you be sharing your screenplay with us? I would love to read something like that!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, magnifique said:

I'm not working on it UNTIL NaNo because I need the separation/time dedication b u t this NaNo I will be going through and editing the rough draft of my nano project of last year

:elmofire: 

and just diving back into my queer-verse, queer found family feelings, and I'm very, very excited to do so. It's YA fiction, will hopefully be published someday, might be posted on here I have not decided yet, and just makes feel happy to see characters who represent me, as well as my friends, and the way I would much rather the world worked :hug::bi: :genderqueer: :lgbtqia:

yay julie!! I'm excited for you to go on this journey and editing this nano! sometimes editing is more rewarding than the actual writing itself tbh

5 minutes ago, firewhiskey_ginger said:

@magemadi ohhh goshhhh I could see this clocking in at 50+ pages even for a "short story" because I do tend to go on (side-eyeing Periphery's 32 chapters) Will you be sharing your screenplay with us? I would love to read something like that!

Well if you need someone to cut, I can totally be your gal ;) Also I have posted the first 7 seven scenes already on the archives here+ but may end up hiding/deleting the story shell later depending on where/what i decide to go/do with it once it's finished. :) 

• Like 2

Okay so I saw this thread was back yet didn't have the time to properly respond to it until now so first off: yay!  So happy it's back! :D  I've also been hoping there would be a thread for this since I'm getting a desire to get back into writing again which is a relief and something that I'm kind of happy about and while my days have been rough and exhausting at times,  I'm going to need to try and use those days to just write seeing as writing does feel releasing at times, you know?  This is also an excuse for me to also lessen my social media time and you know,  get to writing for myself and in general seeing as I haven't wrote much since Camp NanoWriMo ended with exception of a few ideas and plotting here and there. 

Can't go without mentioning that it's great to see not only so many wonderful, amazing, and great ideas but it's so cool to see what everybody else is doing in terms of their story goals be it what they want to write, how they plan to do with their writing, and how about they go on about it in terms of their goals and whatnot.  That said:  am wishing you guys in all the best of luck with this! :) 

As for me, my current OF goals are:

1.  Write a prompt story that's autumn themed with these words: pumpkin spice latte,  autumn leaves,   Halloween,  chilly weather,  and sweater.   Just a fun challenge to myself because I always loved those stories where you use a word generator,  list of words, or just find ideas and then try and write a story while using prompt words as the means to get you into writing or helping you write something at the least. Also yes, it seems a bit cliche doing this but I still thought it would be fun to write it since I haven't in a long while? If this goes well, I'll try and write more with similar theme as well because I want to try to stick one theme for the prompts in this case or at least goes with it if that makes sense?

2.  Make a continuation story for the drabble that I submitted onto the archives back in for the Halloween Maze Event back in 2018 I believe with my Beyond The Tree drabble but this one has more words. Don't know if it'll go well or not but am getting a desire to continue it. Can't promise if I'll publish it onto the archives just yet but if it does go well then hopefully.

3.  Planning and organizing my 8 novel series seeing as I haven't been able to write as much during Camp NanoWriMo and there's still alot that needs to be worked on as far as planning goes especially the worldbuilding and characters. Also because why not?

4.   Try to outline one of the OF of mine that I haven't worked on for a long time and is put on hold or want to write list seeing as I'm not the biggest fan of outlines as they're rather tedious for me personally but I do want to try and see where that leads me? If it goes well, it'll help me what to do as far as writing goes for either NanoWriMo later this year or Camp NanoWriMo next year.

5.   Work on a new story idea of mine called Chaos Nine (well that's the rough draft title) and not just planning it but writing a draft to just get myself slowly comfortable to keep going with the drafts and then maybe, if it goes well, that'll be my new story for NanoWriMo.  But yes, there is a plot bunny running about in my head so I guess I'm going to go with it and work on it. xD

Edited by starlitcastles
edited something + spacing
  • Like 3

Here I was, saying I'd do a Monday morning ping, and here we are, Wednesday evening :facepalm:Anywho, here for the weekly ping as we enter October tomorrow! 😱 :grinningpumpkin:

As far as my progress goes, I've now only got one challenge entry left to write that's due November 1st, so hopefully I can knock that out soon along with the 4th and final chapter of Friendly Correspondence. Otherwise, it's full steam ahead on OF things after that is done! :D

@victoria_anne how goes your to-do list?

@la_topolina what's the current submission/editing/writing status of your flash fiction pieces?

@dreamshadow how goes the outlining of your nano novel?

@shadowycorner how is your outlining also going? :P

@crestwood making any good word progress on your novel?

@Pixileanin you had a variety of goals -- where are you at on your list?

@GKWriter i hope your worldbuilding is going swimmingly!

@firewhiskey_ginger have you attended a zoom write-in session?

@magnifique I know you're not necessarily doing anything atm, but are you actually? 👀

@starlitcastles made any progress on your themed pieces?

• Like 4

@magemadi Thank you! Unfortunately, most of what I've written recently has been fanfiction... I've been doing some planning to work out what I still need to do for the novel that I'm hoping to write and have an idea for a short story I want to write to explore the world a bit. It feels like it's getting a bit Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, magemadi said:

Here I was, saying I'd do a Monday morning ping, and here we are, Wednesday evening :facepalm:Anywho, here for the weekly ping as we enter October tomorrow! 😱 :grinningpumpkin:

As far as my progress goes, I've now only got one challenge entry left to write that's due November 1st, so hopefully I can knock that out soon along with the 4th and final chapter of Friendly Correspondence. Otherwise, it's full steam ahead on OF things after that is done! :D

@starlitcastles made any progress on your themed pieces?

Whoa, that's amazing that you're getting alot done so far! Wishing you the best of luck with that one challenge entry as well as Friendly Correspondence! That's great! :D  Can I ask how did you get ahead in terms of writing it? Just out of curiosity! 

As for me and the themed pieces, I'm actually working on #5 of my list which is working on my plot bunny: Chaos Nine since that's actually been more exciting for me so I feel that I'm in the planning stages of it yet I also know what scenes I'm wanting to at least draft and compose so it's been mostly focusing on that even though I do have other goals listed above too. It's just that one just been at the forefront for the most part because it's not only new but also highly fun in a sense that I'm writing something again and there's many things coming at me so I'm getting as much as I can and am really into it.  My themed pieces, are however, will still be written seeing as I haven't been able to write them due to a combination of writing Chaos Nine but also work and trying to get other tasks done when I'm not writing but it's already October so a new month always means a new slate in a sense of To Write List so I'm actually planning to get started on it very soon for sure.  Just going to do it little by little so to not overwhelm or exert myself seeing as that usually is what puts me off doing things I need to do myself so taking it one day at a time.  Hopefully I'll be writing a piece or two as the weeks go by seeing as these are one shots as opposed to the other stuff on my To Write List and or goals I have.   With that said: thanks for checking up and asking though!  Much appreciated! :D  

• Like 1

@magemadi Thank you thank you for keeping this concept going!!  

I'm most of the way through a rough sketch of my Hermione/vampire disaster idea, and it's turned into a novella length dumpster fire.  But since I'm such a completist, I'm going to see it through, if only to practice FINISHING a thing... hopefully in a timely manner.  I should give myself a deadline for this.

Otherwise, I've been playing around with establishing some sort of online presence for my writing. I'm just not sure how to go about that, and the research on how to do this is overwhelming.  If anyone wants to talk me through this beast of an internet presence thing, I'd be forever grateful for the hand-holding.

• Like 1

@magemadi no I’m actually not doing anything right now but homework 😂 ive been thinking about things on the back burner but ??? Doing anything??? I will dream of that until November I think 

• Like 1

Ping ping! It's not Monday morning anymore (my excuse is I'm attending a virtual conference all week that starts at 7 am my time and ends at 5 pm my time, soooo :P) but it is still Monday so I'm counting it! 

Due to said conference most of my energy is on learning and academia and all of that this week but I'm still working slowly on my Bookshelf challenge entry and thinking about the final chapter of Friendly Correspondence.

@victoria_anne Congrats on finishing and submitting your horror story to the anthology! What other project is taking priority this week?

@la_topolina How are your flash fiction pieces coming along, Noelle?

@dreamshadow Jill, still working on your NaNo novel outline?

@shadowycorner How goes things, Eli?

@crestwood Joey! How are the words? Good? Bad? Acceptable? I need to know! :P

@Pixileanin Practicing finishing a thing is something I also need to work on....but go you! Hope it's going well this week for you. As far as internet presence goes, I think creating a writing/author twitter account and just following/engaging with "publishing twitter" is a good start? Others who are more in the know may have better advice than me though. :)

@GKWriter I have to admit that I had to look up Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell 😬 but I'm glad things are brewing for you!

@firewhiskey_ginger I hope you're making good progress on your stories -- have you attended a zoom write-in session yet this week or last week?

@magnifique Homework is necessary, unfortunately -- how goes your semester/quarter so far?

@starlitcastles One day at a time is also how I take my writing journey, even if it means I don't do any writing some days. How is the Chaos Nine progress?

• Like 5

@magemadi Hey Madi, thanks for the ping! :D 

I planned to be a little further with my NaNo planning, but I'm slowly working my way through trying to figure out different parts of the story, character relationships and so on. Very intimidated by world building, so succesfully avoiding it for the time being, lol. I am bogged down by constant indecision - should i do this or that? should this character go here or there? 

It's maddening :D 

• Like 3