Welcome to FanficTalk

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in events, challenges, discussions, and review swaps - or even just play games!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

FanficTalk has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • we're very excited to announce our new name: fanfictalk!
  • welcome to the new house cup year!
  • jump into the prefects' game of battleship!

Original Fiction Fall 2020 Goals

Pixileanin

@magemadi Thank you thank you for keeping this concept going!!  

I'm most of the way through a rough sketch of my Hermione/vampire disaster idea, and it's turned into a novella length dumpster fire.  But since I'm such a completist, I'm going to see it through, if only to practice FINISHING a thing... hopefully in a timely manner.  I should give myself a deadline for this.

Otherwise, I've been playing around with establishing some sort of online presence for my writing. I'm just not sure how to go about that, and the research on how to do this is overwhelming.  If anyone wants to talk me through this beast of an internet presence thing, I'd be forever grateful for the hand-holding.

• Like 1

magnifique

@magemadi no I’m actually not doing anything right now but homework 😂 ive been thinking about things on the back burner but ??? Doing anything??? I will dream of that until November I think 

• Like 1
Recent Badges

magemadi

Ping ping! It's not Monday morning anymore (my excuse is I'm attending a virtual conference all week that starts at 7 am my time and ends at 5 pm my time, soooo :P) but it is still Monday so I'm counting it! 

Due to said conference most of my energy is on learning and academia and all of that this week but I'm still working slowly on my Bookshelf challenge entry and thinking about the final chapter of Friendly Correspondence.

@victoria_anne Congrats on finishing and submitting your horror story to the anthology! What other project is taking priority this week?

@la_topolina How are your flash fiction pieces coming along, Noelle?

@dreamshadow Jill, still working on your NaNo novel outline?

@shadowycorner How goes things, Eli?

@crestwood Joey! How are the words? Good? Bad? Acceptable? I need to know! :P

@Pixileanin Practicing finishing a thing is something I also need to work on....but go you! Hope it's going well this week for you. As far as internet presence goes, I think creating a writing/author twitter account and just following/engaging with "publishing twitter" is a good start? Others who are more in the know may have better advice than me though. :)

@GKWriter I have to admit that I had to look up Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell 😬 but I'm glad things are brewing for you!

@firewhiskey_ginger I hope you're making good progress on your stories -- have you attended a zoom write-in session yet this week or last week?

@magnifique Homework is necessary, unfortunately -- how goes your semester/quarter so far?

@starlitcastles One day at a time is also how I take my writing journey, even if it means I don't do any writing some days. How is the Chaos Nine progress?

• Like 5

shadowycorner

@magemadi Hey Madi, thanks for the ping! :D 

I planned to be a little further with my NaNo planning, but I'm slowly working my way through trying to figure out different parts of the story, character relationships and so on. Very intimidated by world building, so succesfully avoiding it for the time being, lol. I am bogged down by constant indecision - should i do this or that? should this character go here or there? 

It's maddening :D 

• Like 3
Recent Badges

victoria_anne
1 hour ago, shadowycorner said:

I am bogged down by constant indecision - should i do this or that? should this character go here or there? 

I know exactly what you mean, and I hate that! But, when it's right for the novel, you just know. At least, I hope, anyway 😋

12 hours ago, magemadi said:

Congrats on finishing and submitting your horror story to the anthology! What other project is taking priority this week?

Thank you, my darling 🤗 It's definitely assignments taking priority this week. I've got an essay to write (but it's a fun one and I'm writing it on dragons 🥳) and that pilot to write! I'm glad you're still making progress on your projects, even if it's slow - it's still better than nothing! 🥰

1. Finish horror story and submit to anthology
2. Write short story for assignment
3. Write pilot for assignment
4. Plot NaNo novel

• Like 2

la_topolina

Ooff, @magemadi I have done exactly nothing with my flash fiction. The stories are all ready, but I have not been able to get myself together to submit yet. :no:

• Like 1

Hawksquill

So I told myself I wouldn't take on any big projects until I finish Forgotten Circle, but the last couple days I've had an original fiction idea swirling in my head.  It's so vague I don't even have any characters or plot yet, more a feel for the shape and flavor of the story if that makes sense?

I'm definitely not ready to start writing or even outlining but maybe my OF fall goal will be really sitting down and working out what I want this story to be! 

• Like 2
Recent Badges

dreamshadow

thanks for the ping, @magemadi! i'm so glad you're still finding time to write, even with virtual conferences. i hope they're interesting at least! 💛

as for me, i haven't really been working on my outline. my focus this week is to finish my lovers to friends entry, but i'm thinking that should be done by friday, assuming my motivation keeps trucking along. i do have another murphy/emma fic i wanted to post before the end of october but at this point, i'm not sure how realistic that is

did, however, finally put my braindump doc into a shiny new scrivener project! does that count as working on it? i separated plot ideas and world ideas so it's a little more organized and i've got a rough idea of the start of the story, or at least, the major conflict. this is going to be very, very different from what i usually write (though with similar themes, so i'm hoping that helps) so i'm nervous i'm not going to be able to pull it off 😬

guess we'll have to wait and see! ^_^

Edited by dreamshadow
  • Like 2

oops, i had a lot of wifi issues yesterday so i never did my ping! but I'm here now 😛

didn't do a whole lot of writing last week as I had a virtual conference all week which really wiped me out brain-wise, so i spent my evenings doing some gaming on ESO on my computer instead, which is more mindless than writing would be. Hoping to do some writing this week though!

@dreamshadow yay for finishing challenge entries and a brain dump into organization!! I think that counts a bit as writing :P

@Hawksquill ooh well if you ever have questions or want to bounce ideas around about your OF piece, I'm sure any one of us camping out in this thread would be more than happy to do so ^_^

@la_topolina how are you doing this week? 💕

@victoria_anne how goes the pilot episode writing for class??

@shadowycorner indecision is honestly part of why my fantasy universe is just a few odds and ends character-type pieces rn and not anything super concrete. I believe in you though!!

Hope everyone else is gearing up for spoopy season + nano in about 3 weeks!!!

victoria_anne
3 hours ago, magemadi said:

@victoria_anne how goes the pilot episode writing for class??

It's okay 😬 I've just come from class where I had the opportunity to workshop my opening scene, and it was really cartoon villain-y and the dialogue was pretty cringey. To be honest, it was a bit disheartening and made me want to throw the whole thing away, but that's only because this story is important to me and I've never been able to get it right, and have tossed between writing it as a novel and TV show for ages 😔 BUT it needs to be done for this assignment so I'm pushing through. I'm just not sure if screenwriting is for me yet, I guess!

I'm glad you took the time to relax your brain, Madi!

• Like 1

magemadi

Ping ping ping, it's Monday!! We're about 12 days out from NaNo now, and I'm getting seriously nervous! 😱

This week my goal is to write & finish Friendly Correspondence, now that I've got a few ideas for the canon points I would like to hit. That should hopefully get into the queue by Friday if all things go to plan. I decided to drop out of the Bookshelf Challenge as I just wasn't getting any inspiration for it, so this will also probably help me set my creative energies straight for NaNo!

What is everyone working on this week?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.