Welcome to FanficTalk

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in events, challenges, discussions, and review swaps - or even just play games!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

FanficTalk has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archive

Find us on Social Media

You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • we're very excited to announce our new name: fanfictalk!
  • get ready to trick or treat!

fanon you forget isn't canon

melonknee

Inspired by a series of tiktoks that have come across my for you page lately called "Harry Potter fanfic tropes that occur so often I have to remind myself that they're not canon" by @radicalcannoliqueen.  What are some super common tidbits in HP fic that crop up so much you forget it isn't actually true? For me it was being reminding that Snape isn't actually Draco's godfather. It just happens so often I had kind of ingrained it in my mind and accepted it as fact. 

victoria_anne

For me, it's that Ted Tonks was a Hufflepuff. I remember being shocked when I found out it's actually never stated what House he was in 😂💛🖤

• Like 5
  • Hufflepuff 2

• 2 weeks later...
melonknee

Another one hit me recently, but protection spells are never called wards specifically in the text. I've read that one so much in fic and RP I assumed it must be canon! 

• 2 weeks later...
potionspartner

I loved this because I'm writing a story about this exact thing right now. (I had no idea we are unsure of Ted's house. I'm using that in my story.)

I caught myself looking at the name Draco Abraxas once and assuming it was right for a moment, had to look it up to be sure it was wrong.

• Like 1

melonknee
8 hours ago, potionspartner said:I caught myself looking at the name Draco Abraxas once and assuming it was right for a moment, had to look it up to be sure it was wrong.

I did the same thing with Sirius Orion! Thought it was his middle name I’ve read it so much, but it is actually his fathers name.

potionspartner

Oh my gosh. I wrote a story called Sirius Orion Black: A Psychological Case Study. I knew it was his father's name but just assumed it was his middle name---and I spent some much time researching for that story (although, honestly, I made up a lot too.)

• Like 1