Welcome to FanficTalk

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in events, challenges, discussions, and review swaps - or even just play games!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

FanficTalk has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archive

Find us on Social Media

You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • we're very excited to announce our new name: fanfictalk!
  • get ready to trick or treat!

a spectral affair & sci-fi atomic age au by crowsb4bros

crowsb4bros

crowsb4bros

A Spectral Affair

h2q0i8ts_o.png

(a crowsb4bros graphic exclusive)

pin board with SPOILERS+

65 Beechworth Drive has a sturdy foundation, good bones, and plenty of rotted wood to be gutted. With her student loans freshly paid off, Clare Winfield can finally afford a place to call home. Mysterious scratches, blown light bulbs, and emergency room visits indicate that she's not the only one haunting the halls late at night. With the help of her best friends and the popular internet show, SpookyPasta, can Clare finally find domestic bliss and put her personal specters to rest? 

Meet the Characters: 

• Clare Winfield- being haunted but doesn't believe it, literal ray of sunshine despite past trauma, teaches sociocultural anthropology at Voisin University
  • Dezmond Lawson- teaches history at the university with Clare, crazy supportive, doing a ton of emotional labor in all of his relationships, widowed single dad, everyone is at least half in love with him but he's focused on keeping his daughter happy and stable.
  • Cam Nguyen- the friend that convinces Clare at last to just let them check things out, law school drop out to focus on art, has many soapboxes, brewer of the tea and coffee, the only one actually funny.
  • Dev Mehta- leader of SpookyPasta, definition of an extrovert, resident super dork, extremely shy but enthusiastic love interest of a reluctant Clare.
  • Nic Damon- convinced that demonic spirits like him way more than the others, thinks he's way cooler than he is, his job is to give the Office stare at the camera every so often, madly in love with Alden, tends to be a taunter.
  • Alden Whitaker- the actual rational one in SpookyPasta (although everyone else thinks it's them), hardcore intellectual type, is a lawyer when they aren't filming, sweater and glasses boy. Mildly modeled after Remus Lupin Fanon.
  • Charlie Underwood- fast friends with Clare, aspirations to leave the group and go back to college, doesn't want to disappoint her friends though, excellent baker. Have a little simmering romance for her and Cam as a treat.

I'm on the last leg of actually writing this bad boy. I need to finish up a little rewrite of Act II and then write Act III. My characters have gone through a lot of changes and I love and adore them, but I'm ready to be done with them. 

sci-fi atomic age au

paula_atomicage.jpg

out of this world picspam by @magemadi

pinboard here+

I don't really have anything hammered down for this one. I want to write a bi (lol) f/f or maybe f/enby romancey sci-fi OF featuring the atomic age aesthetic and generational trauma, but it's set several hundred years in the future of humanity and the danger at hand I think will be harvesting a new power. Think deathstar shit. It's going to be the journey of going from a stellar civilization to a galactic civilization (using the Kardashev scale). Rival scientists or maybe scientist/politician or maybe scientist/military official sees the danger ahead and fight the government to deescalate the problem and resolve it, romance ensues, saves the galaxy. 

When I'm sick of A Spectral Affair I'll come hang out in this one and flesh it out better. 

Here's a playlist I'm jamming to for this one though:

Things I'm interested in for prep work: Digging out some picspams featuring the atomic age aesthetic, spooky haunting stuff, an atmospheric dark academia playlist for Clare at the university, a pop-y but terrifying playlist in the same vein as fallout. 

• Like 5

victoria_anne

Hey Paula! I'm so excited for A Spectral Affair. I've seen the title around so much so I'm glad you're nearing the end of this draft! What will you do when you finish? What's been your favourite part to write so far?

Your sci-fi story sounds amazing, too! I swear, you have the best ideas 🤗 Are you going to be jumping between them next month?

I can't wait to see how this goes! 🥰

• Like 1

crowsb4bros
22 hours ago, victoria_anne said:

Hey Paula! I'm so excited for A Spectral Affair. I've seen the title around so much so I'm glad you're nearing the end of this draft! What will you do when you finish? What's been your favourite part to write so far?

tbh I might genuinely grab some drinks and fancy dinner to celebrate finishing this bad boy. There's a scene where a big climatic thing just happened that scared everyone and that breath of relief that they are alive, things are okay, and they are together again was so euphoric. It's by far my favorite!

22 hours ago, victoria_anne said:

Your sci-fi story sounds amazing, too! I swear, you have the best ideas 🤗 Are you going to be jumping between them next month?

I don't plan to, but I've found that I work best when I have a second project to daydream about when I hit a wall. I can dump ideas into that one and then circle back to pour my creative energy in the main project! 

Thank you for stopping by! ❤️ I appreciate the encouragement!

• Like 1

magemadi

Paula, hi dearest friend! Eep, I’m so excited for you to be finishing up A Spectral Affair, I know you’ve been writing it for ages so it’s very rewarding to see you about to cross the finish line with it ❤️

Not going to lie though, I had to google “atomic age” and “Kardashev scale” so clearly I’m a bad sci-fi fan 🙈 But anyway, I am SO HERE for whatever this story ends up turning out to be, because a) we need more sci-fi, always and b) we need more female writers in sci-fi and c) we need more bi/LGBTQ+ rep in sci-fi!! Even though you don’t have many ideas for this yet, I do still have some questions for you 😊

How much influence/power (heh) do you think your protagonist will have compared to the governments/leaders of the world, and how will that affect her abilities to do what needs to be done?

Do you have any ideas yet for what your kind of space travel will be like (i.e. more fantastical vs realistic)?

As this is 700 years in the future, will Earth be one united entity or will there still be clashes among different countries that complicate things?

• Like 1

pirate grumpy cat

i just!!! the atomic age story sounds amazing and i love that type of sci fi

you're amazing that is all

• Like 1

crowsb4bros

How much influence/power (heh) do you think your protagonist will have compared to the governments/leaders of the world, and how will that affect her abilities to do what needs to be done?

Very little to begin with! I love narratives of the nobody saving the day instead of the chosen ones. The scientist character will be on the main project, but not like a project lead or anything. The military character will be in some form of maintenance on the machines. This will help set me up for the hijinks afoot! 

Do you have any ideas yet for what your kind of space travel will be like (i.e. more fantastical vs realistic)?

I'm going with the good old classic Einstein-Rosen bridges/wormholes. If it's good enough for Thor, it's good enough for me.

As this is 700 years in the future, will Earth be one united entity or will there still be clashes among different countries that complicate things?

I don't think Earth will ever be capable of being united lol. I'm thinking about doing a classicism divide instead of a nationalistic one though. Or maybe a combo. 

I accidentally backspaced this part, but @magemadi thank you so much for the questions! ❤️ 

• Like 1

crowsb4bros

Y'all pinky promise not to judge me, but I'm starting to outline another OF wip that's untitled. It's set at a Mage's College in some snowy castle wasteland that I haven't named featuring some undeveloped characters. 

It's a smutty grimdark fantasy story about found family. It takes place at the unnamed Mage's College in their first year there. The BBEG is a set of mages who are claiming they've become gods after achieving some great knowledge. Missing villagers, missing rare ingredients, a disturbance in the magical energy, etc are all signs of hinky shit. 

major plot themes:

• partners as both romantic and platonic partnerships
  • wrong place wrong time
  • ancient magical cults
  • dangers of censorship+the fine line of access to information
  • some adults really suck and having power doesn't mean that you should auto-respect them

pinboard here+

Main Characters:

(he/him) Kol: ice cold gazes, a good judge of character, seems like he has his life together he's actually lowkey falling apart, can vibe with anyone, friendly but lonely, seems emotionally unavailable but actually secretly loves a lot of people and is scared of losing them but will never show it, niche humor, anxiety tm. 

(she/her) Maja: a beam of bright smiles, secretly competitive, thrives in discipline and structure, obsessive about knowing her worth after a shitty previous relationship, non-judgmental to an extreme, nurturer of others, tea rituals for soothing, positive attitude, learned to be mentally strong, would kill for her friends, intuitive learning instead of studying. 

Supporting but key characters:

(they/them) Ebba: huge fucking nerd, builds study nests in inappropriate locations, stays up way too late, lives off caffeine, disappears every now and then, adventurous, in love with the idea of people but not so much the people themselves, down-to-earth, wants to overthrow structured classrooms and formal education.

(he/him) Aric: nothing fazes him, easily infatuated, impressed easily, daydreaming in class, healthy fresh fruit snacking, confident in everything, passive aggressive, those weird people who exercise for fun, lukewarm for mischief making.

(he/him) Ivar: cautious, likes to plan, nostalgic for the old times, argumentative, loves coming up with new ideas, has an identity crisis on the regular, secretly judgmental, acts open but is secretive, tries to stay authentic, musical nerd with big bard energy, actually the most hardworking one in the team

(she/her) Liv: gorgeous hair, adrenaline junkie, the definition of emotional depth, morning person, terrible at taking advice but constantly giving it, in love with female villains, quick-witted, does things out of spite, in love with animals, will never do her homework, easily excited, rarely in class but somehow still passing.

Ships are Kol/Maja with some background Liv/Maja, Ebba/Liv, Aric/Ivar

(Maja is pronounced similar to my-ah according to baby names sites so)

I need to:

• figure everything out
  • get a story name
  • write

• Like 2

victoria_anne

Paula, we would never ever judge you, AND THIS STORY SOUNDS GOOD OMG AHHHHHH 😍 Also, NaNo is about getting those words down so you have to write where the motivation is! It sounds like you've got a fair idea of how you want the story to go, so I'm looking forward to getting updates about this! ✨

• Like 1

prideofprewett

Uhm...another amazing story?! I think I've already gushed about A Spectral Affair in your WJ when I first joined, but damn this one also seems fiercely thought out! Even if there's no clearly defined plot plan yet, it sounds like you know what you're doing and these charries seem amazing and...when I can read this hah?! xD  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
crowsb4bros

I have swapped back to a spectral affair and I'm pleased to make them suffer and also fall in love. I am torturing my sweetest character, Dezmond, by forcing him to do a seance with his dead wife who isn't speaking to him. He's going to overthink it and it's going to be very sad. Many sads. Much tears.

• Like 1