News Ticker

golden ink awards rules

abhorsen.

golden ink awards 2021
 welcome to our fifth annual writing awards (previously known as the frogs)! you'll have the opportunity to nominate your favorite authors, stories, and characters to win awards. :elmoice: after nominations close, we'll run the last round of our +reviewing event to give you all the chance to read the finalists. then, you'll have the chance to vote.

this year's schedule:

• february 5 - february 15: golden ink nominations
  • february 17 - february 23: reviewing event round 3
  • february 26 - march 8: golden ink voting

eligible stories must:

• be posted on our archive
  • be updated since january 1, 2020
  • not be a previous winner of the category it's being nominated in

nomination rules:

• each member can only make one nomination per category.
  • a nomination must be seconded and thirded to move on to final voting.
  • members may not nominate/vote themselves, swap nominations/votes with others (e.g., "i'll vote for you if you vote for me"), pressure others to try to nominate/vote in a certain way, or try to organize or coordinate others' nominations/votes.

members are welcome to publicly promote stories they like or their own stories while the event is going on. however, they cannot put others on the spot - for example, a public status update saying "if you're looking for a nomination for [X], check out [Y]!" is fine, but messaging another member to say "you should nominate [Y] for [X]" is not.

basically, suggestions/promotion is fine, as long as other people don't feel pressure to do what you're suggesting.

winners/runners up will receive graphic awards, a shoutout in a livestream and a blog post, and be featured stories on the archive in the coming year. 💖

• abhorsen. pinned this topic

the nominations for the golden ink awards are now open!

• elmo fire 2

Hello! Just to confirm, seconding/thirding counts as a nomination, correct? So you can't both nominate Story X and second Story Y. (I think that's right, I just want to be sure. :) )

• sparkles 1
  • snowflake 1

1 minute ago, Renacer-otter said:

Hello! Just to confirm, seconding/thirding counts as a nomination, correct? So you can't both nominate Story X and second Story Y. (I think that's right, I just want to be sure. :) )

yep, that is correct ^_^

• Thanks 1
  • snowflake 1

Yay thanks so much for putting all this together! I noticed that some categories say something like "doesn't need to be tagged/categorized as humor on the archive" and others don't have that disclaimer (like angst and romance).  If it's not explicitly stated, should we assume that only stories tagged accordingly on the archive fit the brief, or is it open?

• snowflake 1

5 minutes ago, Frostquill said:

Yay thanks so much for putting all this together! I noticed that some categories say something like "doesn't need to be tagged/categorized as humor on the archive" and others don't have that disclaimer (like angst and romance).  If it's not explicitly stated, should we assume that only stories tagged accordingly on the archive fit the brief, or is it open?

yes, where it's not specified, the story should be in that specific genre. the reason for 'funniest story' and 'best dark' having those notes is because we acknowledge that a story can be really funny if it's not tagged with the specific humour tag, and 'best dark' encompasses more archive tags like dark, horror, crime, war, angst, etc. ^_^

Edited by viking grumpy fox
  • Like 1
  • snowflake 1

Hello! 

If we want to second (or third) a nomination for another story that say another person had already nominated even though another nomination has a second and third votes for it to move on, are we allowed to do that? 

If that sounds confusing, here's an example: so let's say that Person A, B, and C all posted nomitations for three different authors and or stories in the appropriate categories for the voting round and Person D and E seconded and thirded Person B's story nomination but Person F liked A's nomination. So if that's the case, is person F still allowed to second Person A's story as well despite the votes that are counted to Person B or is there a limit to just one nomination going into the final round?

Hope that question makes sense!

• snowflake 1

2 minutes ago, starlitcastles said:

Hello! 

If we want to second (or third) a nomination for another story that say another person had already nominated even though another nomination has a second and third votes for it to move on, are we allowed to do that? 

If that sounds confusing, here's an example: so let's say that Person A, B, and C all posted nomitations for three different authors and or stories in the appropriate categories for the voting round and Person D and E seconded and thirded Person B's story nomination but Person F liked A's nomination. So if that's the case, is person F still allowed to second Person A's story as well despite the votes that are counted to Person B or is there a limit to just one nomination going into the final round?

Hope that question makes sense!

i think i get what you mean! ^_^ (lmk if this doesn't answer it, though!)

there is no limit to the number of finalists in a category - all nominations in a category that get seconded+thirded will move onto final voting. once final voting opens, members will be free to vote however they'd like - they're not bound by what they nominated - so members should absolutely feel free to nominate/second/third whatever they'd like. does that help? 💖

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Renacer-otter said:

Hello! Is Cho Chang "underdeveloped" enough for the Most Original Character category?

nope, sorry! we're more looking for characters who basically don't have speaking roles or character arcs at all. ^_^

• Thumbs up 1

hey, guys - we don't want people to feel pressured to nominate things they don't think are deserving, but there are only a couple days left for nominations, and we wanted to post a reminder. ^_^

if you're still struggling to make up your mind, try to keep in mind that there are a lot of amazing, deserving stories on the site - there isn't one right answer for what to nominate, and getting nominations for authors who have written stories that you've really enjoyed in is a really great way to communicate your appreciation of their hard work.

we know that this is a super stressful time - if you have a lot going on and need extra time, please reach out to us - it's not at all a problem for us to push the deadline/the start of round 3 back if people need that, as long as we know it will be helpful for y'all.

• Love 3

if you're looking for last minute nominations, here are the nominees who haven't moved onto the finals yet (at the time of this post) (huge thank you to @RonsGirlsPatronus for compiling this list first in her status update - we wanted to make it more visible by cross posting) - in bold are the stories and authors needing only a third nomination to move on to voting!

+Romance:

+Action/Adventure:

+Cast/Ensemble:

•  

+Plot Twist:

•  

+Most Creative:

+Quote:

+Dialogue:

+Long-form:

• Beneath the Sheets of Paper Lies My Truth by @aurevoir -- 3rd
  • Memory Dust by @shadowyfox -- 2nd & 3rd

+Description:

•  

+Dark:

+Drabble:

+Funniest:

+Crime/Mystery:

+Poem:

•  

+Original Character:

+Original Fiction:

+Angst:

+Writing Style:

@dottie-wan-kenobi -- 3rd

@FurmidableRogue-- 3rd

@aurevoir -- 2nd & 3rd

@just.a.willow.tree -- 2nd & 3rd

Edited by viking grumpy fox
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • elmo fire 1
  • sparkles 1
  • heart eyes 1

hi friends! your friendly neighborhood fairy necromancer has had some shit happen in the past week that made finishing up round 3 difficult. since we're going to need to push back the start of the round a day, we're going to keep nominations open until 6pm EST tomorrow 2/16. 💖

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

hey, y'all - it's been brought to our attention that not everyone realized that you could choose one *or* two finalists in every category but best quote, not just one.

since y'all can't see the results right now (:elmofire:), there's no gamesmanship to enter into it, so i offered (and am going) to add the votes in manually. i also wanted to make a broader announcement, though, so everybody has the same opportunity. 💖

if that's the case for you, too, please just shoot me a pm with the categories and your second choice. 💖

• sparkles 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Renacerá said:

What time does voting end tomorrow? Thank you!!

Voting ends at 12 pm EST / 5 pm GMT tomorrow. :)

• Thanks 1