We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can participate in events, challenges, discussions, and review swaps - or even just play games!

Join the Forums

FanficTalk has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing and read/review other members' writing.

Join the Archive
News Ticker
welcome back to fairyland for this year's review event! the inkys are just around the corner! keep an eye out for easter eggs in fairyland!

Discord Film Screenings

kuusi pollywog

kuusi pollywog

Hello FFT!

Part of our community's crucial diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) and anti-racism efforts is education and exposure to different perspectives. Over the past few weeks, I've been hosting screenings of various films and shows encompassing Black experiences, including 13th, I Am Not Your Negro, Whose Streets? and Dear White People. Thank you to all who have been able to participate!

This thread is so we can have more in-depth discussions around planning screenings and the films' messages and themes.

Here+ is a spreadsheet that can help us keep track of recommendations and films we've seen. Please feel free to add recommendations into this document! ❤️ 

Logistics: 

Types of films: right now, we've been watching films based on Black experiences and racial justice while observing some (inter)national observations, such as Black History Month (February) and Women's History Month (March). Upcoming observations include Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) History Month (May--and something we should definitely incorporate given the rise in anti-Asian hate crimes), Pride Month (June), etc. Furthermore, while we've watched some films that are on these topics, I think it is important to also watch material that centers on Black (or POC) entertainment and/or joy, so I've tentatively scheduled such films for the last weekend of the month.

So far, I have been hosting screenings on Saturdays, midday EST. However, I know that not everyone is available during this time of the week. If we would like to integrate these film screenings into our community, I think having alternating screening times might be able to ensure that more people are able to participate. Below is a suggested monthly schedule:

• First weekend: Saturday midday EST
  • Second weekend: Saturday evening EST
  • Third weekend: Sunday midday EST
  • Fourth weekend: Friday evening EST
  • Fifth weekend: tbd when it occurs

What do you think? If we go with this schedule (or a different variation of it), I might not be able to host every time. However, I am totally okay if someone else wanted to host screenings, too! We could take turns and/or host at different times. All of us have different schedules, after all!

Upcoming screenings:

March 27: Homecoming, directed by Beyonce and centers on Black creative expression. 

April 2021: I have a couple environmental-based films on my radar (to help observe Earth month) but I'm also open to other subjects, including AAPI-centered films, so please leave some recommendations!

If you have any other thoughts and ideas, please leave them in this thread. :) 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • sparkles 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
grumpy cat

i've been around for most of the screenings since midday est works well with my timezone and i appreciate you so much for hosting these screenings - i think they're very valuable and definitely something i'd love seeing become a staple in our community :stitch-2:

• Love 1
something wicked

i’m not 100% sure if i’ll be around this saturday but if i am i’ll be there! noon est works great for me 🖤 love this idea

Edited by something wicked
  • Love 1
shadowycorner

I've been around for two of the screenings and it's been a great experience each time, thank you @kuusi palaa Both times I wasn't able to finish watching on discord because of my shoddy connection problems, but also both times I finished watching the docs/movies (Dear White People and 13th) on my own, plus my partner also joined as he was interested after I told him what we do. 

I want to stress again my thanks to Abby who goes through the list and picks different media for us to watch and discuss together. I know this is something I need to work on, but anytime there is a lot of resources, I find myself a little lost regarding where to begin, and when I see a community focusing on specific things, it's so helpful as it grounds me and gives me an opportunity to also focus on a particular theme or topic or media and have people to actually discuss it with. 

On 3/21/2021 at 2:53 AM, kuusi palaa said:

I think it is important to also watch material that centers on Black (or POC) entertainment and/or joy, so I've tentatively scheduled such films for the last weekend of the month.

I love this idea. While it's important to talk about deeper and difficult issues, it's also essential we learn to celebrate POC (or LGTBQA+ as well) media with joyful depictions of their lives.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
FrogFactFriday
On 3/20/2021 at 6:53 PM, kuusi palaa said:

I think it is important to also watch material that centers on Black (or POC) entertainment and/or joy, so I've tentatively scheduled such films for the last weekend of the month.

Throwing out a few suggestions — first for AAPI, we’ve already done an FFT discord watch of Crazy Rich Asians (but always down for a rewatch tbh, amazing movie), but here are a couple others I love:

• Always Be My Maybe
  • The Big Sick
  • Bride and Prejudice

and for films starring Black actors for pure entertainment/joy, some I love that come to mind are:

• Keanu 😂 (Key and Peele forever, I love them)
  • Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse
  • Black Panther
  • Cinderella (the Brandy version, 1998 I think — this is actually Black and AAPI bc the Prince)
  • I’ve heard really good things about Southside With You but haven’t actually seen it 👀 
  • Akeelah and the Bee (ok, admittedly there are themes in this that deal with The Struggle™️ and overcoming obstacles, but I’m a huge sucker for inspirational movies about kids succeeding at things.
  • Edit: OH and down the line when holidays roll around... Jingle Jangle. *chefkiss*
  • Edit again: Also, A Wrinkle in Time?? (*shrug* I liked it anyway)
Edited by RonsGirlFriday
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
grumpy cat

soul for joy would be my rec (i'm not an expert or anything but i've heard good things about it)

Edited by grumpy cat
  • Love 3
  • sparkles 1
frogberry_cordelia
32 minutes ago, RonsGirlFriday said:

Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse

I would watch this every day if I could omg it's gorgeous and an Afro-Latino superhero?!?

• Love 2
kuusi pollywog

Thank you all for your lovely comments and for the recs! If you have the spoons, feel free to leave them in the spreadsheet that is linked in the original post. ❤️

As for tomorrow's screening of Homecoming+ (m for youtube chaos, lol), I didn't have a chance this week for the poll on the discord server, but I think noon EST tomorrow (March 27) is a good time, and it's been a pretty consistent time anyway for viewing. I'm excited for Homecoming because it will explore the history of Black creative expression, and I think as creative people, it will be good to watch and reflect on how Black expression influences us. Hope to see you there!

@grumpy cat @something wicked @RonsGirlFriday @shadowycorner @Raspberry_cordelia

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
lilypadi

Looking at the list of films/series currently in the spreadsheet, there's quite a few I haven't seen, several I have seen (outside of these screenings), and many which I've just never heard of, period.

That said, I would love to watch something relating to racism & the environment this month as it is Earth month + the impact of environmental (de)regulations and such are disproportionately born on communities of color and the poor. Some suggestions I've found from the NAACP list+ are the following (they've also been added to the spreadsheet):

- The Water Front (2007) - how increasing water costs for residents on the shore of Lake Michigan as they fight to keep their water from being privatized

- Food, Inc. (2008) - An unflattering look inside America's corporate controlled food industry. (as a midwest gal, very interesting to me personally)

- Blue Gold: World Water Wars (2008) - cost and battle of the dwindling world's fresh water supply and what that means for consumers everywhere

• Like 2
kuusi pollywog
On 4/4/2021 at 11:48 PM, lilypadi said:

- The Water Front (2007) - how increasing water costs for residents on the shore of Lake Michigan as they fight to keep their water from being privatized

- Food, Inc. (2008) - An unflattering look inside America's corporate controlled food industry. (as a midwest gal, very interesting to me personally)

- Blue Gold: World Water Wars (2008) - cost and battle of the dwindling world's fresh water supply and what that means for consumers everywhere

Thanks for adding films to the spreadsheet, Madi! Also, any of these films look great! I am able to stream on Saturday. Does anyone have a preference?

That said, I wasn't able to stream last Saturday (April 3rd). I would very much like to incorporate this type of event into FFT, but I also can't always be available to host a screening, and I know that my schedule doesn't always align with everyone else's. I'd love to hear your thoughts on how to schedule these. In my original post, I said:

On 3/20/2021 at 8:53 PM, kuusi pollywog said:

So far, I have been hosting screenings on Saturdays, midday EST. However, I know that not everyone is available during this time of the week. If we would like to integrate these film screenings into our community, I think having alternating screening times might be able to ensure that more people are able to participate. Below is a suggested monthly schedule:

• First weekend: Saturday midday EST
  • Second weekend: Saturday evening EST
  • Third weekend: Sunday midday EST
  • Fourth weekend: Friday evening EST
  • Fifth weekend: tbd when it occurs

What do you think? If we go with this schedule (or a different variation of it), I might not be able to host every time. However, I am totally okay if someone else wanted to host screenings, too! We could take turns and/or host at different times. All of us have different schedules, after all!

Does an alternating schedule sound like a worthwhile idea to pursue? 

Also, as the world re-opens as more people are vaccinated, maybe our schedules will change again. Is this something that we want to schedule like we do Fic Night (ie, once a month)? We could do multiple times a month, of course, but we could have longer intervals between screenings (and at different times) if that means more people can participate!

Speaking of participation, lots of brilliant suggestions in this thread are of more entertainment/joy-centered films centered around POC stories. Is this the avenue more people are interested in? I'm fine with adding these types of films to the repertoire, especially considering we are a community of fandom writers. That said, I would also like to keep the other types of films in the mix, because we have so much to learn and part of dismantling the racism within our communities and ourselves is to engage with some discomfort.

I bolded and underlined some of my questions, so it would be easier to spot some potential points of discussion.

Tagging y'all, since you've expressed some interest in this: @grumpy cat @something wicked @FrogFactFriday @shadowycorner @frogberry_cordelia @lilypadi

PS: Someone please remind me to look up discord screen sharing sound troubleshooting before next screening! :P 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, kuusi pollywog said:

Does an alternating schedule sound like a worthwhile idea to pursue? 

I think an alternating schedule would be a great idea, and perhaps move away from weekly screenings and do twice a month screenings? They don't even have to be 2 weeks apart or anything, just two times in the month that works for everyone!

IDK about some of y'all, but my normal consumption of visual media in a given month is quite low ( #gradschool) plus I have a lot of other streaming type events happening throughout each month with various creators I support on patreon 😅 so making weekly screenings is a lot for me.

3 hours ago, kuusi pollywog said:

Speaking of participation, lots of brilliant suggestions in this thread are of more entertainment/joy-centered films centered around POC stories. Is this the avenue more people are interested in?

I think it'd be nice to intersperse some of the entertainment films within our overarching anti-racism journey with these screenings, just to add some levity and a brief step back from the heavy/sometimes uncomfortable (in the proper way, of course) material.