News Ticker

assrtd. works by frogballet

blackballet

Hello all,

It's my first time here at Nano, and I am ready to settle in! Here are the few things I am working on, and how much I hope to get done in each. 

rozar: 

HTKTU6u.png.c41120d2ea0da9541fca869fe3f883b4.png

Rose Weasley wasn't prepared to jump back into the world of Abel Geronimo.

She wouldn't have; but then he died.

This is first and foremost on the list, as its posted anniversary just passed one year on the archives (woot woot). I love these characters, I love this story, but damn it the ending is as elusive as those Geronimos. I will get to it!! And if not, then I will at least get further to the end during Nano. Here is a little photoset I did of my Rose Weasley. It encompasses both her curiosity, need for truth, and my own mystery in finishing this novel. 

rose.png.e47eeae3e3ac46fe9c03559ad3fb72be.png

for gold:

yuUvs6v.png.0c78af50cb655be3810b80e87773328d.png 

Silver Krieger wants to win, and she'll do anything to get there. Even if it means making amends with James Potter. Even if it means letting him in on her secret. Two more matches. Three more weeks. She needed another drink. 

This story is second my little list to work on! It started as a project mostly to distract myself from the absolute torture that rozar is to write. I have ended up loving it a lot, and writing it actually far more frequently than rozar :/ In any case, it's super fun to write for, and I would feel bad totally abandoning it for rozar in this time. I love Silver far too much, and I am learning a lot about my desire for cutthroat women to figure out that its okay to accept love (totally not @ing myself). A beautiful picspam by @shadowycorner

CM_20210321233526275.thumb.jpg.3e172885ebc57fd66dd0854a5385da70.jpg.3e39482ec8d0ad5294157a29bfb9cb49.jpg

strangest thing: This...I have been toying with for a while. I have always wanted to revisit Charlotte Malkin's world in whatever form it might take, and I think that this might be a collection of drabbles or one-shots, depending on my mood, about the post-stranger things time. This is a tentative title, but also I do really love it. And I can't get it out of my head. I'll leave here a snippet of the very first thing I've written for it. 

Spoiler

Skies rise and break with pink and orange illustrations. Waves fold into and out of one another. Wind shifts immovable pine to become spiraling flocks of needles in the air. The Ravenclaw Common Room is his least favorite place. Charlotte is gone. 

Anyway, if you read that, you can imagine that it's going to be yet another in a long series of works filled with pain and loss and angst and regret ;) 

Goals: 10,000 words (about five of my typical chapters) I'm starting gently, because I will be very busy this month, but I hope to exceed my goal! 

Starting points: 

• rozar- 50,882
  • for gold- 17,364
  • strangest things- 722

I hope I continue to update my page, if only to provide my writing song of the day! I'll leave this post with my song for today: We Have it All- Pim Stones

Catherine 💖

• Like 1

Yay! I'm loving Rozar and I still need to read Stranger Things :ninjavanish: but I'm glad you're inspired to follow it up with another fic!

Do you know roughly how much longer you expect Rozar to be?

On 3/29/2021 at 2:28 AM, RonsGirlFriday said:

Yay! I'm loving Rozar and I still need to read Stranger Things :ninjavanish: but I'm glad you're inspired to follow it up with another fic!

Do you know roughly how much longer you expect Rozar to be?

I am so glad you enjoy rozar :) and I do hope that you get to stranger things at some point! (Just like I have to get back to Simple Minds). As for the length of rozar...I can never tell. Sometimes it's 27 chapters, (in my outline rn), and then sometimes I start writing and I'm like okay well we have to resolve that in a whole other chapter! It's very confusing, but also generally how endings go for me. We shall see! ❤️ 

Little word update:

• rozar- 50,882
  • for gold- 18,626
  • strangest things- 722

Music from 3/29: 

• First Love by Adele
  • i love you by Billie Eilish 

(for gold is not a love story????? what was I on yesterday????)

• Like 1

I am very happy to see that progress on for gold :) 

How did Silver and Hera meet? 

If Hera was a witch, which house would she be? (is it Hufflepuff? because she's the sweetest cinnamon roll)

What do you most like about your version of James? What do you think is his biggest flaw? 

• Ineke changed the title to assrtd. works by frogballet
19 hours ago, shadowycorner said:

I am very happy to see that progress on for gold :) 

How did Silver and Hera meet? 

If Hera was a witch, which house would she be? (is it Hufflepuff? because she's the sweetest cinnamon roll)

What do you most like about your version of James? What do you think is his biggest flaw? 

Me too 😈 Though I really do need to be making progress on rozar lol :/ 

Silver and Hera met through primary school, but they also played together on their recreation football (soccer) team :). They kind of drifted apart once Silver went off to Hogwarts, but Hera's mother is an MRI technician at the hospital Mrs. Krieger works for, so they overlapped post-Hogwarts. And Silver started going to Hera's shows, and then they started....you know 👀 

I think that Hera could be in Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw. She is a really curious student and musician, but is also very kind and hard-working. (We have to remember that we see her through Silver's lens as well ;) so there might be some Rose-colored glasses going on). She is totally a cinnamon roll, but also Silver lowkey infantalizes her, and I think that has something to do with magic v. muggles, woman in a male-dominated field, etc. etc. misogyny. :(

I love that James knows that he's really, really great at Quidditch. He's pretty cocky, which obviously annoys Silver on the surface (but more subconsciously bc she is perceived a certain way that would not allow her to be performatively cocky if you get my drift). I think his biggest flaw is thinking that he is owed things (especially from Silver). She hates when people think that she owes them something, though this is also a little deflection technique she does 🙃

I also love that James cares for other people. He loves poking fun and ribbing and crackin' wise and all that. He also really wants everyone to succeed and be appreciated. Example: He and Silver already have an established relationship of banter, so when Avery comes in with his RUDE ASS, James is offended (partially bc he considers Silver a good friend, partially bc he does not want to face the patriarchy in Quidditch that he unwittingly enforces 🙃) Many upside-down faces today!!

Thank you for your amazing questions!! I love them, and they gave me a lot to think about and unpack. 

I'm also dropping two pinterest boards I started for rozar and for gold, and I will give a word/song update later today! :evilkermit:

i have absolutely been loving for gold!! (also rozar, i just have a soft spot for silver :P ) i have some questions if you don't mind!!

1. if silver and james went on a date, and there was no quidditch and there were no cameras, and it was just two dumbasses doing something, what would they do? (aka if they were allowed to just be and be, what would they want to do?)

2. if they went for coffee what would their orders be (coffee isn't required)?

3. did you decide on silver's name after the title, or the title after silver's name?

thank you catherine!!! (also heyy if you want an absolutely chaotic nano auntie, i am available ;) )

On 4/1/2021 at 10:47 AM, maraudertimes said:

i have absolutely been loving for gold!! (also rozar, i just have a soft spot for silver :P ) i have some questions if you don't mind!!

1. if silver and james went on a date, and there was no quidditch and there were no cameras, and it was just two dumbasses doing something, what would they do? (aka if they were allowed to just be and be, what would they want to do?)

2. if they went for coffee what would their orders be (coffee isn't required)?

3. did you decide on silver's name after the title, or the title after silver's name?

thank you catherine!!! (also heyy if you want an absolutely chaotic nano auntie, i am available ;) )

Hi there, thank you so much!! I would love to take a look at your questions (also super excited to think about these two characters in not-high-stakes contexts :))

1. I think they would be super into laser tag, and it would totally be Silver's idea. I just see the two of them being so competitive together and loving it. (And also, in this wonderful land with no cameras and no fame, James knows about Silver's power and they love using it to screw over the other laser taggers) 😈

2. James is definitely a thick hot chocolate kind of guy, marshmallows and a stick of peppermint, too. Silver is definitely into her black coffee, but it depends on the time of day/year. If she's not training, she could definitely go for a caramel latte. 

3. Silver was definitely in my mind for her name before the title (a penetrating arrowhead kind of connection, she's got that piercing mind), but then when I was thinking of a possible title, the phrase "going for gold" stuck in my mind. The little Silver/gold wordplay was ripe for the taking, and this story also lends itself to some cheeky humor. 

Thank you again!! These really got my brain stirring about them ❤️

My latest and lamest word update:

• rozar- 51,458
  • for gold- 18,626
  • strangest things- 722

Music from 4/1: 

• Cornerstone (Live) by Arctic Monkeys
  • Blinding Lights by The Weeknd
  • Swimming Pools (Drank) by Kendrick Lamar

double posting for 😅

word count update

• rozar- 52,499