We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can participate in events, challenges, discussions, and review swaps - or even just play games!

Join the Forums

FanficTalk has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing and read/review other members' writing.

Join the Archive
News Ticker
welcome back to fairyland for this year's review event! the inkys are just around the corner! keep an eye out for easter eggs in fairyland!

libera nos a malo | la_topolina

la_topolina

Another spring, another NaNo, another chance to get those words down....

Project: libera nos a malo+ rewrite

Goal: 20K words

Mood: dubious 

Fuel: tea and anxiety

Details: I'm not at all confident that I will be able to make this month's word count goal. March has been kind of a bust writing-wise, and my real life has gotten a lot more stressful in the last week. But hope springs eternal. I finished the draft of libera in December of 2020, and I have 4.1 more chapters to finish rewriting and editing. I had good intentions regarding finishing the rewrite AND the editing for this project and then updating it on a schedule...but I can't resist the temptation to update anymore. So, I'm going to post a new chapter every other week while I finish the project. Maybe I'll be able to resist posting the next one until it's all finished, we'll see. I just hate seeing it hanging there on my AP when I have several chapters that are publishable with a little editing.

Anyway, if anyone is new to this project, it's a canon-adjacent Snape/OC action-adventure/romance. This is book two of four, set during HBP. I'm having lots of fun writing about the werewolves of Britain (or Albion, as they call it) and about Dante Sanguini. Sev and Miranda are still my OTP, and I love writing them too. 

In honor of this NaNo (and to get myself through this day) I made a couple of picspams inspired by my leading couple. Quotes are by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I wish you all the best of luck this NaNo! Thank you for stopping by my nest ❤️

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • sparkles 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
Oregonian

I sure hope that the real life stress will settle down enough to enable you to get the four chapters spiffed up.  I know how it feels to have postable chapters held up because the rest of the story isn't finished yet.

Beautiful picspams, and I see that Snape is dealing with some potentially dangerous plants.  I love the image of his annotated potions book.  It is plain that creating art is a refuge when life gets hard to handle.

I see that you have joined Hermes' Cabin.  These cabins are a great idea, and I hope they will spur us on to keep up the effort.

Good luck and happy re-writing!

• sparkles 1
starlitcastles

Hi Noelle!

It's always lovely to hear about your writing projects and what you plan as each Nano arrives so am glad that you posted! I also hope that the rewrite for Libera Nos A Malo goes wonderfully for you and you'll be able to edit and post the chapters as see the need to as well. It's understandable also with not being able to write and hope you know that you can always get back into it and it's okay to take breaks in between. I do hope things in real life will settle down and that everything in the upcoming month is easier on you. ❤️ I should mention that the picspams that you made are pretty gorgeous--do love the Snape one alot but is the other one, Miranda right? The quotes from F. Scott Fitzgerald are pretty interesting too. I don't have any questions this time around but still wanted to post here to wish you the best of luck during this Camp Nano! You can do it! You got this! :)  

• sparkles 1
shadowycorner

Hello Noelle, sending lots of love and hugs to my fellow Hermes child, I hope life and circumstances are kind so that you can do what you love 💖 I'm loving the picspams and still, Kate Winslet is just 😍 as Miranda. 

I love that Moonlight, and your sequel probably as well, has got this delicious combination of really good adventure and suspense. What are your biggest inspirations and influences when it comes to writing adventure? :) 

• sparkles 1
la_topolina

Thank you so much for the encouragement @Oregonian @starlitcastles @shadowycorner! I really appreciate it. 

Yes, the picspams are of Miranda, and Severus respectively. Miranda's faceclaim is Kate Winslet. 

I'd say my biggest inspiration for action sequences and adventure is from comic books. When I imagine my scenes happening, I see them as frames in a comic book as often as I see them as live action sequences. I read a lot of Batman growing up, and as an adult I've read a lot of Astro City and Prince Valiant.

Art is one of my main coping skills. It's super frustrating when I'm too anxious or burnt out to do it.

Which brings me to today's frustration. The beginning of NaNo was less than inspiring. I haven't written anything for more than a week now, which is a long time for me. I did organize all the chapters of libera  I've re-written so far into a single folder, in order. And I read back through them, and I don't think they suck. I did, however, decide that a few of them were too long and/or had scenes smashed together that made no sense together. So I broke those chapters apart, and reordered a little bit. I started out with seven chapters (ch 11-17) and now I have nine chapters (ch 11-19). And I'm not sure how many chapters I have left. According to my post-it note covered cork board, I should only have four chapters left, but now I'm thinking I'll have at least five. 

The big issue is that I'm not sure where the climax of this book is. In the rough draft, the big meeting of the werewolves was the climax of the book. But when I went back to rewrite it, I moved that scene to be earlier, because it made more dramatic sense to me that it be earlier. Which means...I'm trying to figure out what the climax of this book is. 

At this point, I'm kind of thinking that the scene in the Lighting Struck Tower needs to be the climax of libera, the way it is in HBP. The thing is...I hadn't really planned on writing that scene out from Sev's POV. But now I'm thinking maybe I should? Maybe it's kind of cheating the audience to leave it out? Like, it's one of the most important moments in Sev's story arc, and maybe I ought to write it from his POV, even if it means I have to quote the dialogue from the book? 

IDK, I'm thinking out loud right now about this. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on the matter. 

I hope everyone has a good weekend writing ❤️

• Like 2
RonsGirlFriday
11 hours ago, la_topolina said:

At this point, I'm kind of thinking that the scene in the Lighting Struck Tower needs to be the climax of libera, the way it is in HBP. The thing is...I hadn't really planned on writing that scene out from Sev's POV. But now I'm thinking maybe I should? Maybe it's kind of cheating the audience to leave it out? Like, it's one of the most important moments in Sev's story arc, and maybe I ought to write it from his POV, even if it means I have to quote the dialogue from the book?

Hey Noelle!

When you were originally planning out the story, was there a particular reason you wanted to avoid writing that scene from Sev's POV? Were you not going to cover it at all or were you going to do it but from Miranda's POV? Was it just a matter of not wanting to rehash book events?

For what it's worth, I don't think it will seem boring or redundant or whatever the concern might be for you to play that scene out from Sev's POV even if you do have to quote some things from the book. There's so much more that's going to be going on before and after the moments we see in the book, that you would have the opportunity to flesh out, and it would be kinda sorta a missing moment-ish thing, you know? I have no doubt that if you go that route you'll pull it off beautifully. ^_^ 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
la_topolina
On 4/3/2021 at 1:06 AM, FrogFactFriday said:

When you were originally planning out the story, was there a particular reason you wanted to avoid writing that scene from Sev's POV? Were you not going to cover it at all or were you going to do it but from Miranda's POV? Was it just a matter of not wanting to rehash book events?

I was planning to leave it out because I didn't want to rehash the book events. But you're right, there must have been a lot that happened before and after Snape's arrival on the scene in HBP. I'm sold. It's in my outline now. It will happen. Thank you for the encouragement ❤️

Day Eleven Update

I've got just over 6K words written. I would tentatively say writing is coming a little easier now than it was a week ago. The chapter I'm working on now features the big meeting of the werewolf packs, where Remus and Greyback get to both try to convince people to join forces with--or against--Voldemort. 

One thing that's surprised me so far in this chapter is the behavior of a werewolf OC named Julius Wilbourne. Julius and his pack are some of Greyback's strongest allies. They're sick of the way wizard society treats them, and while they may or may not believe Voldemort's promises of a brave new world, they're willing to side with him if it means striking back against the system that's holding them down. My early conception of Julius as a character was of a somewhat cardboard cut out of a villain--a sidekick for Greyback along the lines of canon Crabbe and Goyle. But...I guess he and Miranda had other ideas:

Miranda rose gracefully to her feet. Instead of grasping her arm in the usual werewolf greeting, Julius took her hand and raised it to his lips. As he bent over it, he inhaled deeply, his eyes never leaving hers. His breath was warm on her skin. He was just dangerous enough to be handsome.

First Vampires, then Dark Wizards, now Werewolves. I just can't take Miranda anywhere.

• Eyes 2
  • sparkles 1
prideofprewett

Noelle! I don't have any intelligent questions to ask at the moment, but I realized I never stopped by here to say anything, which is my bad! 🥴But I absolutely love this sequel! I think it's awesome you've written 6k! ✨ ✨ I'm really looking forward to reading more of this...that last chapter w/Christmas & going home was just :chef's kiss:! Ok, so maybe, I do have a question or two about that chapter hah.

Do you remember the time of year you wrote it? Was it around the holidays? I find that I seem to write Christmas scenes at other times of the year as opposed to around the holidays (see Percy's chapter of Woven Together 😅). But yeah, I suppose I'm just curious if you write holiday things around that time when you're immersed in it yourself or not. 

Anyway, you're doing such a great job continuing this story! Happy Writing!

💖 Courtney 

P.S. Also your picspams are stunning! 😊

Edited by prideofprewett
  • Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...
la_topolina
On 4/16/2021 at 5:15 AM, prideofprewett said:

Noelle! I don't have any intelligent questions to ask at the moment, but I realized I never stopped by here to say anything, which is my bad! 🥴But I absolutely love this sequel! I think it's awesome you've written 6k! ✨ ✨ I'm really looking forward to reading more of this...that last chapter w/Christmas & going home was just :chef's kiss:! Ok, so maybe, I do have a question or two about that chapter hah.

Do you remember the time of year you wrote it? Was it around the holidays? I find that I seem to write Christmas scenes at other times of the year as opposed to around the holidays (see Percy's chapter of Woven Together 😅). But yeah, I suppose I'm just curious if you write holiday things around that time when you're immersed in it yourself or not. 

Anyway, you're doing such a great job continuing this story! Happy Writing!

💖 Courtney 

P.S. Also your picspams are stunning! 😊

Oh, gosh, thank you!!! I also almost always wind up writing scene set during Holidays at different times of the year when the Holidays actually are. The one exception is that set of Christmas drabbles: tidings of comfort and joy--I wrote all of those in the couple of weeks right before Christmas of 2020. 

Day 26 Update

Oh April NaNo....

I seem to recall that last April, and the one before it, I tend to not do as well racking up the word count. The same has been true this April. I have been feeling burnt out, and on school days it's all I can do to get through teaching my kids, and maybe wash some laundry so we have something to wear the next day, and feed everyone. I've written two days total during the last two weeks. And it's so frustrating, because I feel more like *myself* when I take at least a little time to write. But I've just...run out of spoons. 

So this week, I have a new goal. I want to write 500 per day, Monday--Saturday. I've done 500 so far today, so we'll see how it goes.

I've cycled back to my decision not to post any updates to libera until I've finished the thing. Much as I want the feeling of accomplishment that comes with posting, I'm also enjoying the lack of pressure that comes with not posting. And I'm still coming up with changes I want to make to my draft. So it's worth it to me to hold off for now.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs up 1
  • sparkles 1