We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can participate in events, challenges, discussions, and review swaps - or even just play games!

Join the Forums

FanficTalk has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing and read/review other members' writing.

Join the Archive
News Ticker
the nano cafe is open! happy writing (and procrastinating)! there's a new badge system with the software update! we're doing a little forum clean up and consolidation!

PinsandKneazles' journal

PinsandKneazles

Words cannot adequately express to you how badly I want to crawl under a rock and die after my unfortunate glitch in reading comprehension in chapter 30. 💀 Probably should stop reading anything longer than 1000 words on my iPhone. 

That paragraph still remains hysterical to me, btw. Just slightly less weird now. 😂 

Anyway, I eagerly await the next update and I’m happy to know we still have 4 glorious chapters to go. I can’t believe you’ve written 100k in the past year or so, that’s amazing!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, RonsGirlFriday said:

Words cannot adequately express to you how badly I want to crawl under a rock and die after my unfortunate glitch in reading comprehension in chapter 30. 💀 Probably should stop reading anything longer than 1000 words on my iPhone. 

That paragraph still remains hysterical to me, btw. Just slightly less weird now. 😂 

Anyway, I eagerly await the next update and I’m happy to know we still have 4 glorious chapters to go. I can’t believe you’ve written 100k in the past year or so, that’s amazing!

Oh don't you dare crawl under a rock and die!! That slip-up was just bloody hilarious and I'm still laughing about it...but I might go back and edit that sentence so there's no further confusion 😂😂😂😂

Ch 32 is nearly written 😳 My baby is nearly finished 😭

• sending love 1

Okay, it appears I'm on a roll, and Ch 32 is now in the validation queue 🙈 Or you can read it here on AO3

• heart eyes 2

Soooo, Ch 32 is up, and the bulk of Ch 33 is written; once Ch 33 is complete, would you like to have all the remaining chapters at once, or should I drag it out a bit? 🤔 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GinsandIceNeedles said:

Soooo, Ch 32 is up, and the bulk of Ch 33 is written; once Ch 33 is complete, would you like to have all the remaining chapters at once, or should I drag it out a bit? 🤔 

If I said that I want the whole story up right now, would that help? 😅

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Felpata_Lupin said:

If I said that I want the whole story up right now, would that help? 😅

On it :whistling:

• celebrate 1

Posted (edited)

@Felpata_Lupin Ch 33 and 34 are in the queue. I just have a bit of tinkering to do with Ch 35 (the last one), then you can have that one too :)❤️ 

ETA, the final chapter is in the queue now.

Edited by GinsandIceNeedles
  • elmo fire 1
  • heart eyes 1

Soooooo, the first chapter of 'Witchful Thinking', which is the sequel to 'No Wands', is now in the queue 😬  I've decided to make very minor plot edits to what I've already written, but the beginning and ending of the story won't be changing. It's written from Al Potter's POV, so if you have any burning questions from 'No Wands' as to exactly WHAT Al was thinking during particular scenes at Cambridge, please say so here, and I'll do my best to incorporate those answers somewhere in the story :)

The start of 'Witchful' takes place approximately 4.5yrs after 'No Wands' ended, and the story is set in the magical world. It has a lot more medicine in it as Al is now a fully-qualified Healer, and quite a few scenes take place in St Mungo's. I hope you enjoy...

• elmo fire 1
  • heart eyes 1

Switching to Al's POV is hard, after writing through Sunita's eyes for 35 chapters...but chapter three isn't too far off completion now, and four/five/six are already written (but need a bit of editing). Apart from the first short introductory chapter, I'm trying to stick to around 3K words per chapter. Too long? Too short? What sort of length chapters do people generally like to read in a multichapter story?

• Like 2
  • heart eyes 1

1 hour ago, GinsandIceNeedles said:

What sort of length chapters do people generally like to read in a multichapter story?

i admit i have a bit of difficulty focusing on longer chapters so up to 3k seems okay for me - anything above that requires some type of effort on my part that i'm not always able to do but when i can do it i can also enjoy longer chapters. sometimes 😅

Edited by grumpy snowcat
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GinsandIceNeedles said:

Too long? Too short? What sort of length chapters do people generally like to read in a multichapter story?

I don't have any preference, I think it just depends on what suits the story. 3K chapters can be perfectly fulfilling -- and the nice thing is, at that length the reader doesn't really need to feel like they need to set aside time to read the update, you know? It's easy to read immediately.

Longer chapters are fine, too -- for me, anything above maybe 5k or 6k becomes an "I need to find some time to read this" situation. Though, really, it kind of depends on the content? Lighthearted stuff, funny stuff, fun dialogue, etc, vs something really dense. I could read 6k words of the former more easily than 3k words of the latter.

• Like 1

Well, I've got those quote bars in this post and I can't make them disappear, so I'll just have to ignore them and soldier on.  If anyone knows how to do that, please let me know.:P

On the subject of chapter length in multi-chapter stories, I checked my own multi-chapter stories and saw that they run about 2600-4200 words each, which falls right in the range of 3000+ words, and I think that that length encourages the reader to click on "next chapter" because they know it's not a long commitment.  The end of the chapter makes a convenient stopping place if the reader has to quit reading and go do something else.  Stopping in the middle of the chapter is less satisfying.

But there is the situation where the scene itself not a quick one, yet we can't make an artificial break when we reach a certain number of words; the scene has to go on to its logical conclusion. Thus, as I have occasionally done, the chapter stretches out to 5,000 or even 6,000 words, but that's rare.

Then there's the situation where we set out to write a one-shot, but the story expands to 9,000 words, and then we have to go back to the manuscript, looking for logical places to break it into chapters without doing damage to the flow of the story, and hoping that we will find such places. :P

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 7:23 PM, Oregonian said:

Well, I've got those quote bars in this post and I can't make them disappear, so I'll just have to ignore them and soldier on.  If anyone knows how to do that, please let me know.:P

On the subject of chapter length in multi-chapter stories, I checked my own multi-chapter stories and saw that they run about 2600-4200 words each, which falls right in the range of 3000+ words, and I think that that length encourages the reader to click on "next chapter" because they know it's not a long commitment.  The end of the chapter makes a convenient stopping place if the reader has to quit reading and go do something else.  Stopping in the middle of the chapter is less satisfying.

But there is the situation where the scene itself not a quick one, yet we can't make an artificial break when we reach a certain number of words; the scene has to go on to its logical conclusion. Thus, as I have occasionally done, the chapter stretches out to 5,000 or even 6,000 words, but that's rare.

Then there's the situation where we set out to write a one-shot, but the story expands to 9,000 words, and then we have to go back to the manuscript, looking for logical places to break it into chapters without doing damage to the flow of the story, and hoping that we will find such places. :P

Ha! I don't know how to get rid of the quote bars either! 😅 Thanks for your response. I have yet to write a long sequence of over 5000 words without a natural break-point featuring somewhere in there. 

On 1/6/2022 at 10:36 PM, RonsGirlFriday said:

I don't have any preference, I think it just depends on what suits the story. 3K chapters can be perfectly fulfilling -- and the nice thing is, at that length the reader doesn't really need to feel like they need to set aside time to read the update, you know? It's easy to read immediately.

Longer chapters are fine, too -- for me, anything above maybe 5k or 6k becomes an "I need to find some time to read this" situation. Though, really, it kind of depends on the content? Lighthearted stuff, funny stuff, fun dialogue, etc, vs something really dense. I could read 6k words of the former more easily than 3k words of the latter.

Yes - I'm with you on that one. Light-hearted, funny or gripping; 5000+ words in one sitting is no sweat at all, but anything which requires brainpower or effort on my part needs to be read when I can set time aside to do so.

• Like 2

Somewhere in the distant (or not too distant?) future... :ninja:

Spoiler

“I remember this!” Lily holds up a small pink hooded sweatshirt with a slightly worn rainbow motif across the front. “I LIVED in this top. How come it’s on the dining table, Mum?”

“I’m just sorting through a few of your old things to give away, that’s all. I hope you don’t mind. Padma was asking; wanted to know if we still had any kids’ clothes that might fit Priya. Nothing that’s been tampered with by magic, of course.”

“What about toys and books - those kinds of things?”

“I’ve put a few things to one side; anything that’s educational or not Charmed.”

“Are there any other ways in which I could help, Mum?”

Fucking suck-up.

Mum smiles affectionately at Lily. “Thanks for the offer, love. I think we’ll have to wait and see what else is needed. Your dad and I have offered to babysit when required. Merlin knows how she’s managing, what with singlehandedly looking after Priya and working two jobs as well.”

• Like 2
  • Eyes 1

GINNY FOR THE WIN

ALL THE SHAME FOR AL

PLEASE REDEEM THIS MAN

*slinks back into my cave*

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having 'fun' juggling plotlines today, and working out who's supposed to be doing what and when. It's at times like this I wish there were only two or three characters in this story instead of eleventy hundred :blink:

But chapter nine is nearly done...

• Like 1
  • heart eyes 1
  • mwahaha 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.