News Ticker

forum challenge - january

lostinthelightss

hello everyone! with the start of a new year, i bring the start of a new challenge! it's pretty simple, and if you're active on the forums and the archives, you likely do most of these 'tasks' anyways - and now you have a place where i'll hype you up for it! if you're new or simply returning, these tasks are a great way to get more involved!

the rules are simple - each of these tasks must be finished during this month - that means anything you've done from Jan 1 to now counts! review swaps count, reviews from reviews offered threads count, fic/book/whatever recs count, it's entirely open ended up to you. there's no character limits, nor is there a theme, so the challenge is what you make of it!

the challenge:

• leave 5 reviews
  • respond to 10 reviews
  • post 1 recommendation

the prize: ... the glory of completing a challenge? we'll be working behind the scenes to see what we can come up with, but likely a shoutout in the next bulletin, and maybe some extras as the months progress. if you complete all 12 challenges for every month this year, there may be something extra in it for you as well... ;) 

edit to add: i forgot that add that you can join whenever you want! feel free to post in this thread when you finish some of the tasks, and you can use the following to keep track of your progress:

Reviews

1. review 1
  2. review 2
  3. review 3
  4. review 4
  5. review 5

Responses

1. response 1
  2. response 2
  3. response 3
  4. response 4
  5. response 5
  6. response 6
  7. response 7
  8. response 8
  9. response 9
  10. response 10

Recommendation - recommendation

Edited by maraudertimes
  • Like 2
  • Eyes 1
  • elmo fire 1
  • sparkles 3
  • heart eyes 1

Question...and maybe this is the result of my insomnia/my brain not functioning properly...so my apologies there if this sounds stupid...is there a way to see when you have responded to a review on the archives? Or is that something the individual will have to track on their own? I ask because I have been responding to a lot of older reviews and now I'm like "shoot which ones did I do in Jan versus Dec/Nov?" 😬 Or does the review response have to be on a review from the month of January? And do reviews from the review tag thread from this month also count? I know you mentioned flexibility above, but it wasn't called out specifically, so just wanted to make sure. Again, sorry if it's not appropriate to post this here, I just wasn't sure where else this might go. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • sparkles 1

7 hours ago, prideofprewett said:

Question...and maybe this is the result of my insomnia/my brain not functioning properly...so my apologies there if this sounds stupid...is there a way to see when you have responded to a review on the archives? Or is that something the individual will have to track on their own? I ask because I have been responding to a lot of older reviews and now I'm like "shoot which ones did I do in Jan versus Dec/Nov?" 😬 Or does the review response have to be on a review from the month of January? And do reviews from the review tag thread from this month also count? I know you mentioned flexibility above, but it wasn't called out specifically, so just wanted to make sure. Again, sorry if it's not appropriate to post this here, I just wasn't sure where else this might go. Thanks!

OF COURSE ITS OKAY TO POST QUESTIONS!! I will be sure to be more clear on subsequent challenge posts! you would have to track your own responses, if you wanted to keep track with the list by writing "maraudertimes - hardened hearts ch2" to say that you responded to my review on chapter 2, or you can just put "10 responses " that's cool too! (i like the first one for me personally but it's up to you). there's not a great way of checking for them, so that part is definitely going to come down to good faith and as long as you're responding to reviews on a regular basis that's all that really matters (and if you make a mistake, eh, not the end of the world, this post came late so that's understandable)! and you can respond to whatever reviews you'd like! old, new, super up to you!

review tag is absolutely okay, and i will mention that next time as well!

and if you have anymore questions absolutely feel free to ask!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose we just list our stuff in this thread when we're finished, so here goes.

Reviews  (five different authors)

1. The Pride of Burrough House, chapter 7, by @RonsGirlFriday
  2. Walking On Air by @inmyownlittlecorner
  3. The Snake  Within, chapter 17, by @Felpata_Lupin
  4. The Snake Within, chapter 18, by @Felpata_Lupin
  5. Twisted Every Way, by @prideofprewett
  6. Hardened Hearts, chapter 14, by @prideofprewett
  7. Hardened Hearts, chapter 15 by @prideofprewett
  8. Dark Days, by @grumpy cat

Responses  (all for responses to reviews on chapters of Tied With a Shiny Red Ribbon)

1. @Crimson Quill chapter 1, ' His Final Journey'
  2. @prideofprewett chapter 3, 'Throw It All Away
  3. @prideofprewett chapter 4, "An Evening on the Thames'
  4. @prideofprewett chapter 6, 'Two Sides of the Pond'
  5. @prideofprewett chapter 7, 'The Medusa Costume'
  6. @Felpata_Lupin chapter 7, 'The Medusa Costume'
  7. @Felpata_Lupin chapter 8, 'Dancing in the Street'
  8. @prideofprewett chapter 8, 'Dancing in the Street'
  9. @PinsandKneazles chapter 8, "Dancing in the Street'
  10. @Felpata_Lupin chapter 9, 'New Zealand'  

Recommendations

I recommended Liam Wren and the Dragon Wand by @KJ Cartmell.  See the recommendation in my shiny new blog You Gotta See This

• Like 2
  • sparkles 1

Reviews:

1. The Rollright Stones by Oregonian 

2. Ignatius (ch 3) by RonsGirlFriday

3. Ch 29 of No Wands, Please by PinsAndKneazles

4. Tied With A Shiny Red Ribbon (ch 3 & 4) by Oregonian 

5. Ch 14 of All The Truth About Jimmy Portman by Felpata_Lupin

Review Responses:

1. Ineke - hardened hearts - ch 2 

2. victoria_anne - hardened hearts - ch 4

3. victoria_anne - hardened hearts - ch 5

4. grumpy cat - hardened hearts - ch 4

5. inmyownlittlecorner - hardened hearts - ch 9 

6. Oregonian - twisted every way - ch 1

7. inmyownlittlecorner (prev. la_topolina) - hardened hearts - ch 6

8. inmyownlittlecorner (prev. la_topolina) - hardened hearts - ch 7

9. Oregonian - hardened hearts - ch 4

10. BookDinosaur - hardened hearts - prologue

Book Recommendation: The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab will take you on a magical journey across time. It is poetically written with many twists and turns to it. It’s told from dual timelines that eventually converge (my favorite thing ever) and it really is just lovely from start to finish. It’s slower paced until you get about 100 pages into it, but if you’re ok with more introspective, character based writing this one is definitely for you.

• Like 1
  • sparkles 1

@prideofprewett I bought that book two weeks ago and have been meaning to read it! great to see it get some love! however, we're really looking for recommendation blog posts that will stand the test of time rather than recommendations in this thread that will be archived once the month is up!

• Like 2

@maraudertimes, if I find the time/energy to put it into a blog post format, would it still count? 

• sparkles 1

21 minutes ago, prideofprewett said:

@maraudertimes, if I find the time/energy to put it into a blog post format, would it still count? 

Absolutely! There are no min word counts for any of these tasks!

• Like 1

To piggyback on @prideofprewett's question, I have a lot of older reviews from 2019 that would definitely fill up all 10 slots. Do those count or how far back are you accepting responses?

Edited by hopelesslyaddicted

@hopelesslyaddicted i think i might be a bit confused on what you mean? if you want to respond to reviews left in 2019, as i said before, when the reviews are left aren't the focus, they can be as old or as new as you want. if you mean reviews from 2019 that you've already responded to, those would not count, because this challenge is really meant to focus on celebrating those members that are currently active - i.e. all reviews/responses/recommendations need to have been left in january 2022 to count

Ok, so hopefully I did this right. 😅 January 2022 Book Recs, for the recommendation thing. Apparently, I had started a blog already and totally forgot about that 😂 I don't know what I'm doing anymore lol. 

• Haha 1
  • elmo fire 1

Reviews:
1) By Blood, ch 9 @blackballet

2) The Crofter and the Snake Ch 6 @Oregonian

3) The Pride of Burrough House Ch 8 @RonsGirlFriday

4) The Last Visit @chillneke

5) Moonlight Ch 7 @inmyownlittlecorner

Review responses: All for 'No Wands, Please - We're Muggles'

1) @Felpata_Lupin Ch 32 'Ill-affected'

2) @prideofprewett Ch 28 'Ill-concealed'

3) @RonsGirlFriday Ch 32 'Ill-affected'

4) @RonsGirlFriday Ch 33 'Ill-treated'

5) @RonsGirlFriday Ch 34 'Ill-lived'

6) @Felpata_Lupin Ch 33 'Ill-treated'

7) @RonsGirlFriday Ch 35 'Epilogue'

8.) @Felpata_Lupin Ch 34 'Ill-lived'

9) @grumpy cat Ch 6 'Ill-chosen'

10) @Crimson Quill Ch 5 'Ill-advised'

Book recommendation: Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions (Edwin A. Abbott, 1884) (recommendation in my blog)

• sparkles 3

thanks for the fun challenge! and helping me get my act together for responding to reviews 🥰🤗

5 reviews:

10 review responses:

1 recommendation:

Edited by dreamshadow
  • Like 3
  • sparkles 1