News Ticker

inkys category suggestions

grumpy cat

1 hour ago, prideofprewett said:

is it possible to have too many categories that we will struggle to nominate an adequate number for each?

personally i've been in favour of less categories in the past but the poll voting is how we decided how many we went with -- last year 11 people voted for 15-16, 3 people for 17-18 and 10 people for 19-20 so we went with 18 as a middle ground.

1 hour ago, prideofprewett said:

I feel like there are a plethora of OCs in HP fanfics that I can easily recall, but not many outside that particular fandom. So I don't see how the distinction between "truly original," and "wee super minor, maybe mentioned once in the authors extended universe notes," is really going to skew us away from HP fanfiction.

i mentioned before that i'm not sure anything we've done made that much difference re: hp vs other fandoms vs original fiction so i think you're right -- i also don't remember more than maybe 2-3 ocs i've read in the past year but that could just be how my reading ended up being.

re: nominations with too many caveats -- we've always tried to do with as little restrictive criteria as we could and we will try to continue in that direction as much as we can, as you said, the awards are supposed to be fun and not stress anyone out.

• Like 2

I can definitely think of at least a dozen fics written or updated in the past year that have pure OC's -- and some of those that have multiple OC's within them. We should keep in mind that an OC doesn't have to be a POV character or protagonist or even main character! I think everyone probably is aware of more OC's than their brain is consciously bringing to mind currently.

Anyhow, allowing minor canon chars in this field would certainly broaden the eligibility and make that even easier. But even without it, we have tons of OC's running around this site -- and remember, a large purpose of rounds 1 and 2 of the review event is to discover fics you may not have known about before!

I think it's very easy for this thread to lead to some hurt feelings even if unintentional because we're literally discussing what deserves to be recognized, but I hope everyone can maybe take a step back and see that the fact that we even need this thread in the first place is because there are so many things that deserve to be recognized and we have to narrow it down unless we want 40 categories. 😅 So it definitely sucks to read someone saying, "I think x should count but not y," but I really doubt that anyone commenting in this thread means that in a bad way. ❤️ 

For that reason, however, I'm always in favor of more categories within reason. With so many authors and types of stories on this site, I think any fewer categories than 15 would be kind of a disservice to the diversity of the writing on this site, and it doesn't seem unreasonable to me to have as many as 20. It's worth keeping in mind that people should not feel pressured to nominate in all categories! And for the most part, the categories really don't come with caveats. Romance involves a romance plot. Funniest is whatever you find funny. OF is... OF. Etc. It's really only a few categories, I think, where we're trying to figure out what would be eligible, and in the end it's going to be much clearer than the discussion in this thread once it's boiled down to a sentence or two. ^_^ 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • sparkles 1
  • chef kiss 2