News Ticker

7th Year Subjects and What They Learn

lostinthelightss

Hey guys, I'm having trouble figuring out what someone might learn in their seventh year for different classes, notably Defence Against the Dark Arts, Arithmancy, Potions, and Ancient Runes. But also, if you have an idea for other subjects, that would be good too. I'm just unsure what types of spells and potions and things would be taught for N.E.W.T.s

If you're writing next gen I think you can convincingly put the patronus charm into NEWT level DADA, because the war showed how useful it was and also Harry managed to teach it to a load of teenagers when he was only fifteen. So yeah, I think it could be taught in school. And then perhaps some occlumency, because legilimency could be seen as a dark art. Also I think it would be good for them to have some actual duelling training, rather than just learning the spells and not how to use them.

Potions I think you can do pretty much anything with, but I always like it when fics talk about the effects of specific ingredients, so I like the idea of NEWT potions being much more scientific. You could have them adapting/inventing potions as part of the course, using their knowledge of different ingredients.

I've never thought much about runes but I suppose they could translate key magical texts from the original runes. They could also maybe learn about using runes as protection.

Arithmancy always leaves me completely lost - still not sure I understand what JK meant it to be. So, yeah, good luck with that one...

Arithmancy at NEWT level could be about applied Arithmancy--I have a magical appliance maker in one of my stories that changes the course of history by making magical iceboxes that Muggles can have (Statute of Secrecy has fallen). The appliance maker would have had to had NEWT level charms to make the darn things work, but in addition, he'd have to understand heat transfer, and I picture it working differently in magic than with real physics, so I think that Arithmancy would provide those equations. I picture it as advanced calculus with magic, combined with physics for magic.

So with Potions, I agree with mymischiefmanaged that they would learn specific ingredients and how they interact. I disagree a bit that it would be like a science, though overall. I think the best potion makers would be instinctive rather than technical. I believe a technical potion maker would make a great magical Druggist (pharmacist), but not a great potion researcher as they would have a hard time making that intuitive leap. I also picture the intuitive potion makers being at odds with the technical potion makers, with the former thinking the latter uninspired, and the latter thinking the former dangerous.

DADA also would be about practicality and also I think it would be combined with learning wards and other sorts of 'ritual' magic that would be protective. I really think the wards that Hermione used when they were camping would have been NEWT level training for most students, but the trio were good enough that after Hermione learned them and demonstrated, that Harry and Ron could follow it too.

Magical Runes NEWT level could explore minor or older cultures runes and magical writings, rather than just Norse (canon, Hermione mentions Eiwhaz rune at one point) and Ogham (headcanon, but makes sense to me). It could explore non-Western culture's magical writings.

I think there could also be an independent project/research paper of some sort, of a topic of the student's choice. I'm in my final year of high school and that's what all our culminating projects are - a paper of some sort and/or a class-long (1 period long) seminar that we have to lead.

I had a math test today and it melted my brain so unfortunately that's all I have to offer.  ::)

Okay, so I'm thinking this might possibly work - an independent project/research paper in each subject for the end of term. Still looking at what they might be working on, but this has been so much help!

Potions might be heavily researching all of the properties of an ingredient that isn't necessarily well-known/used and potentially doing a human experiment for a day and drawing up a scientific report. Or, potentially, creating a new potion and doing several human experiments over the course of a day and, again, drawing up a scientific report.

For Defense Against the Dark Arts, I already have them participating in mock duels every week, so perhaps a written portion of the exam could focus more on the theoretical, such as the best ways to counter in a duel, like pookha said, perhaps magic wards and the like, and then Occlumency as their big project at the end of the term where Legilimency could be practiced on them in standardized ways and they have to try and keep a certain word secret from everyone else (wherein Legilimency could not be practiced anywhere but in class under strict supervision because like Emma mentioned, it could be seen as a Dark Art, and it is incredibly invasive).

For Arithmancy, I quite like the idea of a magical appliance. Perhaps not have them actually try and build one, but the theory behind it would be awesome to explore. Actually, the build itself would be a good way to extend learning in some sort of secondary magical education. So again, perhaps some sort of report on the creation of a new technology that incorporates magic.

I like the idea of translating a text, from other cultures as well as somewhat of a final project. Perhaps during the class they can learn how to use runes in magic, such as in the Mortal Instruments.

If anyone else has ideas, they would still be greatly appreciated! :)

What you've mentioned already seems to be pretty good to me although personally I don't think they'd get students to create their own potions in seventh year. It just seems too risky to me. However, I can definitely see them being told to make a difficult potion without any help whatsoever - they'd have to research the essential 'magic' behind it and why the potion works the way it does, plan it themselves, carry out a risk assessment etc. Basically like Chemistry but for wizards.

Really like the regular practical mocks for DADA as it brings in the whole aspect of applying the knowledge. For a written aspect/project, it could be that students have to research and write a paper on  a given or chosen threat (e.g. Dementors or the Unforgivables), explaining why it's a threat, what precautions and defences one would take etc.

• 3 years later...

I'd like to think there's a Healing course, because we don't see any evidence of a Magical Med-school - although we do see trainee healers.  I just feel like Healers should have some sort of basis of knowledge before going straight into hands-on work, lol.  Maybe there's even room for something that's more co-op?  Idk

• Like 1