News Ticker

a little corn maze (just.a.willow.tree's wishlist)

just.a.willow.tree

Nothing difficult about this corn maze here, except that cornstalks are not quite seasonal in December (but this maze is tenacious). You just wander about for a while until you find an exit (which may in fact be someplace unexpected, but there will always be freshly baked cornbread at the end).

❄️❄️🎁🎁

Hello, hello, everyone! Happy wintertime! I haven't been around in a little while so I can't wait to catch up on everyone's wishlists over the next few weeks. My wishlist is extremely bare (mostly asking for recommendations) so anything at all that you're able to give -- whether it's a small message, or a list of your favorite movies -- would make me more than happy! 😊 Things that I like are at the bottom.

• I am making a spreadsheet of the movies that make me happiest, one per year, which you can see here+. There are a few holes highlighted in purple, but it's mostly filled in! If you have any films that make you feel extraordinarily happy, please share them & their release years & possibly a mini-blurb on why you love it! (They don't have to necessarily be from the years that I'm missing. They also don't have to be wholly upbeat/comedic/etc -- just something that brings you joy in some way.) I would love to watch them and expand my list! 🥰
  • I am also looking for film recommendations of the not-necessarily-happy variety!
  • Any charming, whimsical fantasy book recs, as well!
  • At the moment I'm working on an original fantasy story (it's very much a WIP, and I've barely made a dent). I've put the first 2.5-ish chapters in a Google Doc+ (that's all I've got written haha) -- if you'd like to peruse it and leave me a note, I would be eternally grateful. 💛 The basic premise is, a young teenage girl belongs to a family that oversees the coming of autumn, and they live in an odd little town.
  • If you also love movies, please make a Letterboxd+ account so I can follow you. 👀
  • Sharing clips/videos that have made you laugh hysterically! My submission is this (very low-res) video of a baby hippo+
  • A message or PM about any of the following items!

THINGS I LIKE

• Movies: extremely fond of stories with fantastic romantic subplots, like How to Steal a Million (it's more of a romantic main-plot but it's also an Audrey Hepburn heist film which is 😘👌), Stardust, Drive (that rather violent Ryan Gosling film with the extremely excellent kiss), etc., or older comedies (from the Old Hollywood era), or gorgeous animated films (Ponyo, Wolfwalker, Song of the Sea, Alice, etc)
    • If you love any Chinese or Korean films, please also send them here!
  • Books: some favorites -- Spindle's End, Ella Enchanted, The Goose Girl, Stardust, anything Terry Pratchett (all these quiet whimsical fantasy stories); or romcoms like The Flatshare by Beth O'Leary
  • Musicals: Hadestown, Great Comet, Singin' in the Rain, Oklahoma! (but mostly the 2019 version), Kiss Me Kate, anything that Fred Astaire dances in, really any dance-heavy musical from the 30s-50s (so if you have any recs please throw them my way)
  • Taskmaster, the comedy show
  • Korean dramas (please send me recs!)
  • Whales
  • Penguins
  • Knitting
  • Tea (I have been making a lot of London Fogs at home nowadays)
  • I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of

Thank you very much :wub:

• Love 2
  • heart eyes 3

LOVE this idea! I've got a couple for your missing years below and also just my favorite movie of all time 🎥

1996: Matilda, directed by Danny DeVito
Incredibly heartwarming story about found family and not letting others tell you who to be or how strong/capable you are. 

1996: Romeo + Juliet, directed by Baz Luhrmann
Obviously a tragic story, but Baz Luhrmann does everything big and this is no different. Also some of the best of Leo you'll ever see. And hey, they're really cute before it all goes to shit. 

1999 [Not an open one]: The Mummy, directed by Stephen Sommers
This is my all time favorite movie ever made and can not be beat. Action, adventure, romance, humor, quotable - and the sequel is equally incredible. Love. Love the chemistry with all the actors in this, the plot is simple but so effective, I quote this movie constantly. It makes me smile so much. No notes. (BTW romance subplot is 🤌)

2006: The Covenant, directed by Renny Harlin
There were some good movies that came out in 2006, but this one is special to me cause it's Sebastian Stan at peek villain! Group of boys who have magic fighting a mystery baddie while also bickering with each other cause they want more power. It's dark academia. It's magic. It's a little cringe in the best way. 

2006: Step Up, directed by Anne Fletcher
🥰 This one is such a cute movie. The chemistry is palpable, the dancing is so fun to watch, the story is cliché, but executed to a T. 

2006: Stick It, directed by Jessica Bendinger 
Gymnasts going against the system. Indie vibes. Zero fucks given. Love this movie.

My sister and I made a bracket for the best Kdrama we're going to do over Christmas and it's killing me to think some of these won't make it past the first round. I love them all so much 😂 ARE YOU WATCHING ALCHEMY OF THE SOULS?! Season 2 just came out and AHHHHH!!!!

BRACKET+ Let me know if any of these are your favorites I will squeal about every single one. Or if there's something you haven't seen I can give you a rec. I have a couple I think are going to take the bracket - what would be your predictions? Do you see a dark horse in the mix?

Also, here are some of my favorite Taskmaster compilations 🙌

Task Master
Most Iconic Moments
Live Tasks That Caused Chaos
When Contestants Get Angry [James Acaster is especially funny in this one. Love him so much]

• Love 1
  • elmo fire 1

46 minutes ago, RogueSlytherin said:

1996: Matilda, directed by Danny DeVito
Incredibly heartwarming story about found family and not letting others tell you who to be or how strong/capable you are. 

1996: Romeo + Juliet, directed by Baz Luhrmann
Obviously a tragic story, but Baz Luhrmann does everything big and this is no different. Also some of the best of Leo you'll ever see. And hey, they're really cute before it all goes to shit. 

1999 [Not an open one]: The Mummy, directed by Stephen Sommers
This is my all time favorite movie ever made and can not be beat. Action, adventure, romance, humor, quotable - and the sequel is equally incredible. Love. Love the chemistry with all the actors in this, the plot is simple but so effective, I quote this movie constantly. It makes me smile so much. No notes. (BTW romance subplot is 🤌)

OH I adore these three films. Let me tell you, how intensely I struggled to pick between 10 Things I Hate About You and The Mummy for 1999. Rachel Weisz is a goddess and a half and the romantic plot made me absolutely speechless with giddiness -- it is an excellent choice for favorite movie ever. 😍 Ultimately the main thing that led me to choose 10 Things I Hate About You is that I am a fool for Shakespeare adaptations. 😂 Which probably means I SHOULD add Romeo + Juliet even if it's a tragedy. It's such a fun, frenetic movie!

I haven't seen any of your 2006 picks, though, so I will add them to my list ASAP and get on that. 😄

46 minutes ago, RogueSlytherin said:

BRACKET+ Let me know if any of these are your favorites I will squeal about every single one. Or if there's something you haven't seen I can give you a rec. I have a couple I think are going to take the bracket - what would be your predictions? Do you see a dark horse in the mix?

"Kdrama Madness" I love it 😂 And there are some AMAZING ones on here, too. I am so curious about this bracket, how did you decide on the match-ups? What will the process be for deciding which drama moves to the next round? I actually haven't seen a good number of them (even Alchemy of Souls, oops, but another friend recommended it to me recently too & I will watch -- probably binge -- it soon), but my absolute favorites are:

• Weightlifting Fairy
  • It's Okay to Not Be Okay
  • What's Wrong with Secretary Kim

(I am definitely biased towards those in terms of who will take the bracket. 😂) And some of the ones I haven't seen but am extremely 👀 about:

• While You Were Sleeping
  • Fight for My Way
  • Honestly a lot of the period dramas, too -- I've never been able to get into those as a genre (my parents watch a ton of Chinese period dramas and yet the obsession did not catch on), so if you have any favorites from the bracket, do let me know!

Thank you so much for leaving these!! :wub: I am all sorts of fluttery from the many new things to watch! Many hugs to you 💛

Edited by just.a.willow.tree

hello hello eva!!!! :wub: thank you for making this wishlist ehehe i am here with some recs for it - alas i think you already know my every movie rec so i shall be sticking to books and other things

• witchmark by c.l. polk is what the kids are calling gaslamp fantasy i believe (?) or steampunk-ish? it's set in a magical Edwardian world and technically is about a doctor trying to solve crimes & keep his identity hidden, but in practice it's much more low-stakes and whimsical and romantic which feels right up your alley
  • the epic crush of genie lo by f.c. yee (and the iron will of genie lo, the sequel) is about a second-generation chinese-american high schooler who gets saddled with saving the world after it turns out that chinese mythology is real and about to destroy her SAT scores, and also her hometown. it's great fun 
  • i believe i've mentioned this one to you before but it's not in our spreadsheet so i'll cheekily throw it at you again: winter's orbit by everina maxwell is an extremely fun space opera romance ft. arranged marriage, sunshine one x reserved one dynamic, Only One Tent - and, bonus, as of this year there is a sequel! I am partway through and enjoying it plenty
  • and a bonus stage musical rec! 42nd street is based on the busby berkeley film of the same name, and includes some songs from his other films - i'm not sure if you know of it already but with your refined taste i am sure you would enjoy :P 

💖

• cathugbunny 1

For 1922, you might consider Harold Lloyd's Grandma's Boy, which isn't his best work but also doesn't butt up against any of the Keaton or Chaplin titles you've already chosen (frankly, for 1923 I'd still pick Safety Last! over Our Hospitality, but the criterion is films that make you happy, not me - if you haven't seen Lloyd's big movie for that year, though, you should do so.  Everyone has seen him hanging off the clock over downtown Los Angeles, anyway).  For 2006, I'm surprised you passed on The Holiday, in which Eli Wallach managed to steal the entire movie from Kate Winslet, Cameron Diaz, Jude Law, AND Jack Black in full improv mode.  I think your corn maze is actually a pretty difficult one - picking just on movie a year for many of these years is mighty hard, regardless of criteria for selection.  Congrats on such a good list.

• Love 1

Eva!!! :wub:  You are missed around here. I love your fun movie list and I have several films to submit for your consideration. :P 

1985:

Of all my favorites to come out of that year, the one that seems most in line with your movie tastes is The Breakfast Club, which is bittersweet and heartwarming. But also that year gave us The Goonies (an adventure story about a group of kids following a treasure map), Back to the Future (iconic), and Clue (comedic murder mystery, based on the board game, and very funny).

1995:

I see you already have this one filled, but two absolutely iconic films also came out that year that you might enjoy. If you like modern adaptations of classics, Clueless (with Alicia Silverstone) is a modern high school adaptation of Jane Austen's Emma. Also if you're a little iffy about period dramas but you enjoyed Pride & Prejudice, I think you'd like Ang Lee's 1995 adaptation of Sense & Sensibility. It has Kate Winslet, Emma Thompson, Alan Rickman, and Hugh Grant, and it's timeless.

1996:

The Birdcage. It's one of those films that never stops being funny. Robin Williams and Nathan Lane play a gay couple who run a drag bar, and their son gets engaged to a girl whose father is a super-conservative politician. So when the future in-laws come to visit, hijinks ensue. (Also, this is an adaptation of a French play, La Cage aux folles, which was also adapted into a movie in French in 1978.)

2006:

I also love The Holiday as mentioned by @Goatspeed -- one of my standby favorites. Though 2006 also produced a very underrated movie called Stranger Than Fiction, where Will Ferrell is a tax auditor who starts hearing a woman narrating his life, and realizes that she (the author of his life) is planning to kill him off. He's a very laced-up guy who's auditing an anti-establishment bakery owner played by Maggie Gyllenhaal, and they develop a sweet love story.

HOWEVER, seeing as you like penguins... another movie that came out in 2006 was Happy Feet!

2022:

Maybe the best new movie I've seen this year was Everything Everywhere All At Once, which is incredibly difficult to explain, but it's a little comedy, a little drama, a lot of action, a lot of Michelle Yeoh being a badass in a multiverse.

And for pure holiday fluff value: Your Christmas or Mine? -- in which a new-ish couple in London are each leaving to go to their respective homes for the holidays. At the last minute they each switch trains, thinking to surprise the other one by going with them, but without realizing that they've both switched. So they each end up at one another's homes, where their families don't know their son/daughter was dating someone. 😬

And going back to period films, this year there was a new adaptation of Persuasion (with Dakota Johnson), where the setting and costumes are historical but the vibes and jokes are modern. (As a lover of the book, I personally did not like what they did with the Anne and Wentworth chemistry, but in terms of general vibes and an overall fun viewing experience I'd recommend it!)

💖

• Love 1
  • elmo fire 1
  • chef kiss 1

Second Sense and Sensibility and Emma Thompson's brilliant script.

Edited by Goatspeed
  • Like 2

Eva! Film gaps that have not yet been recommended (and maybe one that has 😅)!

1948: Easter Parade: Fred Astaire and Judy Garland, sing-song and dance in this delightful, musical romcom. Fred is adorkable, but also him singing "It Only Happens When I Dance With You" is swoon worthy as hell in only the way Fred can do!! 🔥 And Judy has some great and hilarious facial expression moments (particularly during "the walking scene" and "Snookie-Ookums"). Basically, the plot of this one is, Fred's charrie gets dumped by his dance partner and he hires Judy's charrie to be his new one (she is not a professional dancer), and it's delightfully hysterical because she cannot tell her left foot from her right foot in the beginning. So there are many moments where both of the are elegant, but then she accidentally ends up strangling him because she's holding him wrong and stuff. Naturally she becomes a shining star (I mean, under Fred's tutelage, who wouldn't?). And yes, he is 20+ years older than her. But it's really sweet how the romance unfolds and it doesn't feel creepy at all. 

1949: Adam's Rib: I don't know how you feel about Hepburn/Tracy, but this is one of my favorite movies they did together! Husband and wife lawyers find themselves on opposing sides of the same case. I think it's just a really great film that really calls out "gender inequality," at the time. There's also some great feminist triumphs in this. And gosh, the fact that a film came out at this with a man, and the man being Spencer Tracy, crying! I just think it's so socially significant. There is a bit of angst with this one. But an HEA is guaranteed. 🤗   

1956: High Society: The last film Grace Kelly ever did! And it's a passionate love musical featuring Bing Crobsy and Frank Sinatra! An absolute delight! There is like a 5 minute overture in the beginning of the film that I always skip hah. And Louis Armstrong is also in it too. So I mean, all these amazing musicians who can also act in one film, it's amazing! And I probably like it so much because it is actually a remake of The Philadelphia Story. Of course, I am partial to the original, but this one is also very enjoyable too!   

1957: Desk Set: More Hepburn/Tracy! This one is so underrated. But I love the comedy that Hepburn + her reference desk ladies create in addition to how it works in opposition with Tracy's engineering mind. Basically a computer threatens to take over the job of a group of reference librarians, Tracy is implementing the computer, and Hepburn is resistant as it will mean elimination of a job for her and the other ladies (or so she thinks). As they work in opposition to one another, eventually their resolve breaks and they begin to catch feelings for one another. They're older in this, and I am A SUCKER for "later in life" loves.  

1971: Bedknobs and Broomsticks: This is probably just childhood nostalgia talking. But I absolutely LOVED this one! It's a story about an apprentice witch (Angela Landsbury) who takes in three orphaned children who are evacuated from London to her countryside home during WW2. They discover her secret and embark on a journey to help her become a "proper witch," and complete her magical correspondence course. But they end up aiding the war effort in unexpected ways. David Tomlinson also stars as Professor Emelius Browne, a street magician who teams up with them. There's also live animation and lots of great musical numbers! It's adorable and full of such heart and fun!

1980: 9 to 5: Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, and Dolly Parton join forces to take down their sexist boss? And he accidentally dies, with one of them thinking they accidentally murdered him 😂 I mean, who WOULDN'T want to watch that? These three together are comedy gold.

1996: The First Wives Club: Three jilted "first wives," come together to take down their conniving ex-husbands who left them for younger women. Goldie Hawn, Bette Midler, and Diane Keaton are comedy gold in this. And that end song with the three of them dancing. Love the female comradery! 

Hope you have a lovely holiday season! 

💖 Courtney

Edited by prideofprewett
forgot high society!
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, prideofprewett said:

1996: The First Wives Club: Three jilted "first wives," come together to take down their conniving ex-husbands who left them for younger women. Goldie Hawn, Bette Midler, and Diane Keaton are comedy gold in this. And that end song with the three of them dancing. Love the female comradery! 

God, this is SUCH a great feel-good movie about friendship!

Also emphatic second for Bedknobs and Broomsticks! Just the mention of it makes me want to watch it again.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • elmo fire 1

Thank you all so much for the marvelous recommendations! I am positively thrilled at all the movie-talk this thread is getting. :wub:

@BookDinosaur Witchmark sounds tailor-made for me omg, I believe you have hit the nail on the head with that one! I will be adding all your recs to our spreadsheet ASAP. (Thank you for the bump on Winter's Orbit, that one 1000% should be on the spreadsheet and I am aghast I have been so negligent.) Thank youuu, it has truly been  a wonderful time reading & watching with you ❤️

@Goatspeed HELLO it's wonderful to meet you!! I am shamefully unfamiliar with Harold Lloyd's filmography, so Safety Last! is absolutely a must-see. It's such an iconic film -- that image you mentioned, of him hanging off the clock tower, is all over the place. (@BookDinosaur also recommended that film to me recently so I now have double-confirmation that I've gotta get to it sooner rather than later. :P) Thank you so much for recommending his lesser-known Grandma's Boy, too, I'd never heard of it and am now curious to check it out.

I also had NO idea that was Eli Wallach in The Holiday.... I only knew him from his small but hysterical role in How to Steal a Million, and he's so much older in The Holiday ! 😂 I must rewatch it, it's been too long.

@RonsGirlFriday Melanie!!! I've missed you!! :wub: Oh my goodness there are so many fantastic-sounding films on your list. Obsessed with the premises for Clue and The Birdcage (and thank you for mentioning the French version, too, because now I want to check that out as well haha) and Stranger than Fiction and Your Christmas or Mine?, and they will be going onto my watchlist ASAP. 💛 (Clueless is one of my favorite films ever and I've been violently see-sawing between that & my current choice When You Were Sleeping for 1995.... I am going to have to have a good hard think about this.)

@prideofprewett OH I have never seen the Hepburn/Tracy pairing before, so your list is perfect. (I'm genuinely in shock at how excellent your recs are, every single one of your blurbs made me want to immediately watch. :P) I had no idea Angela Lansbury was in Bedknobs and Broomsticks, but just seeing her name completely sold the film for me. Thank you so much, Courtney!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

evaaaaaa ❤️ ahhhh i'm so glad you're back ^_^ 

i have dropped off some questions for you on your OF (which i loved obviously) here^_^ 

also, i too have bookmarked alchemy of souls to watch and have not yet got round to it :P i'm so excited for it but i'm also so busy and trying to finish up some other things i'm watching so... yea, it's waiting for me :P 

others i watched and loved: 

- hometown chachacha is adorable. like, if you want a funny, cute, rom-com type story, this is the one. i'm not a rom-com fan really and i liked it which i feel sort of says enough :P 

- hotel del luna was peeeeeerfect. though i fell a little too hard for jang man-wol possibly :P 

- the untamed is a big historical fantasy c-drama about two guys who fall in love and pine about it for 16 years. oh and there's a murder mystery and a war and one of them dies (and comes back - in the first episode), but yk. pining. 

- word of honor - also big, also historical, also fantasy. with less flying swords and more martial arts and lots of excellent banter between the two leads. 

- who rules the world. i don't think c-dramas which are historical, fantasy-type dramas know how to be small tbh. but this one omggg there's so much plotting and scheming and a wicked mother and excellent women and conspiracies and a really genuinely lovely romance. plus a very good villain. i liked them a lot. 

for books i feel naomi novik is your kind of author. she's done a bunch of books - uprooted and spinning silver are my favourites - based on retellings of fairytales, with that kind of whimsical, romantic, fairytale-esque vibe - but they're different and they're fun and so so good ^_^ 

• Love 1

EVAAAAAA!!! :wub: :wub: :wub:

So, I've read what you have so far of your OF and it's delightful! I'm loving Gus and her family and all the people of Wayward's End with all their little oddities already, and your narrating voice is so lovely and soothing and fun, just the perfect tone for a fairytale, and the premise is so intriguing and... I just love this! It's so different and original and creative! And inspirational, too, because reading it you made me nostalgic of my OF projects... :P A wonderful job, hope you'll keep it up and that we'll get to see more of Gus' adventures soon!!! :wub:

I was going to also drop a little list of some of my fave movies, but I'm feeling a bit self conscious about it, so... maybe another time 😅

Always so lovely to see you around here! Thank you for coming to brighten the forums a bit more in this wishlist season! Good luck for your graduation and have the most magical, merriest of holidays and a wonderful 2023!!! :plugging-in-tree:

:freeze: :hug:

Chiara

• Love 1

Hi, Eva!  Happy holidays to you, and thank you so much for the review on The Crofter and The Snake 🥰.

I read the document of your story Autumn!.  Actually, I read it several times, since it was so full of little details that are dangling like little decorations just off the main story line that it was useful to make the effort to see how all the little bits fit together.

Yes, Wayward's End sounds like a strange, weird place though weird in a harmless way.  Just very different from the world we're used to.  Spider webs can be knitted into gloves.  Pumpkins have personalities.  And somebody has to help the trees turn color when autumn comes.  Trees have personalities too.

This all contrasts so sharply with Augusta's normal sixteen-year-old-girl relationship with her friends Nora and Bunny in the downtown shops, drinking hot foamy tea and shopping for clothes at the boutique -- Nora and Bunny don't seem weird at all.  It's as if Gus is leading two parallel lives.

I am curious as to where this story is going.  Augusta, the 'outdoor girl,' will now be outdoors even more but with responsibilities and a whole new bag of skills to master, not just gallivanting around anymore.  It can be hard to grow older and have to take on the burden of duties, whether you like it or not.

You have left us at a bit of a cliffhanger.  What is she going to find down at the corner of the old map?

As for recommending movies, I see that you have received a flood of recommendations already.  I will add just one more, but it might not be up your alley at all if you are looking for fun, feel-good movies.  Still, one should be aware of this movie.

1957: Paths of Glory  directed by 28-year-old Stanley Kubrick and considered to be his unappreciated masterpiece.  Starring Kirk Douglas, it is an anti-war movie set in World War I in France.  compelling, unforgettable.  A favorite of mine since my youth (yes, I'm old enough to have seen this film in 1957).

@Aphoride Thank you so much for all the questions! I'm so excited to answer them & keep thinking about this story hehe. And the c-drama recommendations!! They all sound so fun! :wub:

@Felpata_Lupin It is such a treat hearing your thoughts on my OF, Chiara. 😭 Thank you thank you! :hug: And please don't be shy about sharing your favorite movies, no matter what language or genre, it's always an absolute treasure hearing about them! I was nervous about sharing my 'happiest movies' list, too, hehe. (You could send them in a PM if you want. 👀) Love you lots!

@Oregonian Vicki, your comments mean so much to me, thank you! And all recommendations are fantastic whether or not they fit into the 'happiness' genre. 😍 I will be sure to check out that Stanley Kubrick film, I haven't heard of it before!

• Love 1
  • sending love 1

Hi again, @just.a.willow.tree.  I should have mentioned that the title of the movie "Paths of Glory" is taken from a famous line "The paths of glory lead but to the grave" in the poem "Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard" by the English poet Thomas Grey in 1750.  Check it out.  :plugging-in-tree:

Vicki

• Like 1

Hi @just.a.willow.tree 

I'm enjoying the movie spreadsheet as I haven't seen many on the list - so many thanks for sharing that with us!! I feel like that list is a gift for all!

I was so intrigued by your autumn WIP and checked it out just now. I really, really enjoyed it! Autumn is my favorite season and love how you've created a whole world around it and personified the "work" that goes into making autumn the magical season it is! I loved the writing style as you introduce us to Gus - it paints the kind of picture as in some of my childhood favorite books! This line made me crack up "Pumpkins were competitive curmudgeons enough even without her help." - I just pictured a Pumpkin parade with them pushing each other and tripping each other up as they walked the stage, and a smaller pumpkin squished between the two bigger ones as they bustled along!  I find the whole premise so intriguing and endearing - nuggets like Lake Gibberish, and grandmother's advices, and 'follow your nose' highly tickled me!! I can't wait to see more of Gus and this tale!

Many thanks for sharing this with us :shaking-gift:

PS: I saw that you like teas and thought I'd recommend one I came across this year that I enjoyed: Lapsung Souchong - funnily enough it become my autumn tea because of the smoky flavors that reminds me of cabins. 

Happy Holidays!!

:snowman-icee:
- Vaish

• Love 1

Hi, Eva!

I have a couple movie recommendations, a couple book recommendations, and a couple kdrama recommendations. Sorry if you've seen/read them!

Movies:

1992: The Cutting Edge

Hockey player retires from hockey and ends up doing doubles figure-skating. I love this movie because it's hilarious, especially with some of the bits when he's still getting used to skating on figure skates rather than hockey skates, and it's kind of sweet. 

1995: Much Ado About Nothing

Kenneth Branaugh, Emma Thompson, Keanu Reeves, and Denzel Washington in one of the best (possibly the best) Shakespeare adaptation I've ever seen. Also, Michael Keaton as Dogberry is just :chef'skiss:. It's also set in a beautiful Italian villa, and the music?? It's just so good.

I am also going to second The Covenant (2006) because I agree that it's absolutely amazing, and I have apparently forgotten every single movie I have ever seen 🙃. Oh, also She's the Man (2006) is a really fun modern adaptation of Twelfth Night set at a boarding school. And Set It Up (2018) because it's just so funny and lighthearted. Also, two assistants Parent Trapping their bosses.

Books:

Heist Society by Ally Carter

Probably one of my top-ten books. It's like Ocean's Eleven, but with teenagers and a cat burglar named Cat. Also Hale, who I love so much. It's fun, and there are two sequels.

I also high-key recommend anything else Ally Carter has written, especially her Gallagher Girls series, which is about an all-girls' spy school. They're really fun, and I just love how she writes.

Kdramas:

I also have a Jdrama suggestion, but I'll save that for after the Kdramas. Also, I second everything that Laura suggested because they are all very good.

Part-Time Idol

It's only five episodes long, and I found it hilarious. It's a very odd found family, but they're endearing in how they try so hard. Plus, it's super funny.

Because This is My First Life

I found this one kind of endearing, and there is a very adorable kitty that is very relevant. I love shows with cute animals, and this one definitely has that. It also has a surprisingly sweet story of the two leads and how they both grow from their relationship.

And the Jdrama: Good Morning Call

Basically, a girl ends up having to share an apartment with her crush due to an agency's mistake, and they pretend to date so no one figures out that they live together because that's against the school's rules. It's hilarious, and Nao and Uehara are just so adorable. It's a very lighthearted adaptation of a manga, and I usually rewatch it after dark/heavy things as a palate cleanser.

Happy winter!

• Love 1

Hi Eva!

Just wanted to drop by with some movie recommendations for your wishlist since you mentioned that you would love some and so I have a few that I thought you may like which you can read more about below! :) 

Movie Recommendations:

I want to mention the first two are from the same studios but I'm giving them mentions because they're made by a wonderful animation studio and I see that you only watched Coraline and so I'm sending you suggestions your way since they're the two films I love from the animation studio although I do like one other film yet I can't recommend  that one since I haven't gotten around to finishing it. ;w;   The last one is more of a happy one that feels fantastical, magical, and if you love the Disney version of Peter Pan, I feel this one would be great despite it being live action and whatnot! :)

Animation:

Kubo and The Two Strings (2016):

I had to double check to make sure you didn't have this movie on your Letterbox'd list but Kubo and The Two Strings is definitely one of the few movies that I know that I would highly recommend especially if you enjoy animated films!  It's also from one of the best animation studios that is known for stop motion animation and that is Laika! Laika is notable for Coraline and if you loved that one, they have other films including ParaNorman and The Boxtrolls! I ended up loving those films that I mentioned but Kubo and The Two Strings is by far, a personal favorite of mine!  It's a story about a young boy who lives in Feudal Japan who carries a three-stringed lute who can make origami shapes come to life and he travels with a bug and a monkey and is on a mission to defeat his evil aunts (whom are slightly creepy by the way) and also retrieve his eye from his grandmother as well as deal with the loss of his mother.  I should mention how flowy and rhythmic the animation was–which is one of the reasons I love this film. Oh, and the characters, story, and music are wonderful too! I should warn you it is dark in some parts but that can be countered with some of the lighthearted aspects of the movie. Honestly I cannot say this enough about Laika but this is one of the best films that I have seen from the studio! I genuinely love how they weave the story together as well. Art Parkinson who voices the titular main character is so wonderful as far as voice acting goes and so are the rest of the cast who makes the film lively with their voices! Again, highly recommend it!  

The Boxtrolls (2014): 

Another Laika film that I find to be underrated and probably not on top of people's lists due to probably being its weaker entries but nonetheless, it's a film that should still be seen at least once! I feel the message of this film is one of my favorites and I'm in love with Eggs as a character personally as well as come to appreciate the Boxtrolls which you'll find out who they are once you watch the film! The story centers  around Eggs, a boy who was raised in an underground sewer by you guessed it--trolls in boxes or Boxtrolls as the title states and how he must rescue them from a villainous exterminator named Archibald Snatcher (or Snatcher for short) and has to go above the ground and leave his home to do so.  Oh, both Isaac Hempstead-Wright and Elle Fanning do an amazing job as their characters: Eggs and Alice respectively and it's one of the reasons that I enjoy this film a lot aside from the Boxtrolls themselves and some of the stop motion in it.  There are a few parts that might have some viewers cringe at but despite this, it's not for too long and the story continues on.  Nonetheless, I still would also recommend this as Laika does an amazing job with this film as well!  

Live Action:

Peter Pan (2003):  As a Peter Pan fan, I should mention this version is one of my favorite adaptation of Peter Pan. There’s the romantic aspect that you’ll find yourself noticing when you do watch it but it's  also whimsical, fun, and imaginative as well! The soundtrack for this movie is fantastic in its own right too–there’s even a score that you may be familiar with if you seen the Disney Parks ad–and I'm going to say that it comes from this movie! James Newton Howard did a wonderful job composing this in all honesty and the cast shine bright as the second star. Yes, that was actually intended!  You may notice the CGI is somewhat off compared to today's but in comparison to most of the films back during the early 2000s, it definitely worked back then. If you like the Disney version of Peter Pan, have read the original Peter Pan book, and like a magical and romantic twist of the characters then definitely recommend it!  This is one movie that I will never ever get tired of watching no matter how many years have passed!  I definitely recommend watching this movie on a snowy or rainy day as I feel that's the best weather for it.  Oh, and Jason Isaacs plays not one but two different characters which is also pretty awesome! 

I’ll also be back to drop off your second gift for your wishlist hopefully later! :D 

-Diana/Di

Edited by starlitcastles
wording and reasoning
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

@FlamingQuilltips @Lost_Robin @starlitcastles I'm so sorry for disappearing for a month (just started my first job and it's been quite a hectic few weeks!), but please know that I adore all of these gifts and thank you all very much from the bottom of my heart :hug::hug:

I'll be saving all your recommendations for a rainy day hehe. Thank you again!!!! :wub:

(Robin, Much Ado About Nothing is absolutely one of my favorite films I'm SO happy you also like it!!!!)

Edited by just.a.willow.tree
  • Love 1