News Ticker

Golden Ink Awards 2023 Category Suggestions

magemadi

Hello, it's that time of year again! This is the place where you can suggest categories for our upcoming annual site writing awards - the golden ink awards aka the inkys :elmofire:

some potential discussion ideas:

• which of the previous categories you loved and would like to see again (considering current eligibility - you all know what you've been reading in the past year... :P )
  • which ones maybe didn't really work for whatever reason (too few eligible stories/people, too similar to other categories, too difficult to judge or badly explained criteria...stuff like that - whatever comes to mind)
  • whether some categories should be combined or not combined
  • which new categories you would like to see
  • any other suggestions re: the awards, be it categories, the nomination or voting process, etc.

a note: eligible stories must be posted on our archive or on archiveofourown.org (AO3) and be updated since January 1, 2022 (for multi-chapter stories and story/drabble/poem collections, that means new chapters/stories/drabbles/poems added since January 1, 2022, not just edited).

If you wish to nominate something posted on AO3 that is not on our archives, the member authoring the story must put up their own AO3 page for consideration. Members doing so make the acknowledgement that any stories that go against our rules can be pulled at any point once staff becomes aware of this -- if this happens, the author and any nominators will be contacted.

----

past categories:

• member-specific
    • best reviewer (2017, 2018, 2019, 2020)
    • most versatile author (2017, 2018, 2019, 2020)
    • best niche author (2020)
    • best writing style (2021)
    • best world building (2022)
  • fandom-specific
    • best harry potter marauder (2017)
    • best harry potter next-gen (2017)
    • best harry potter rebuilding (2017)
    • best non-harry potter fandom (2017, 2018, 2019, 2020)
    • best original fiction (2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022)
  • genre-specific
    • best angst (2017, 2018, 2020, 2021, 2022)
    • best angst/drama (2019)
    • best dark/horror (2018)
    • best humor (2018, 2019, 2020)
    • best romance (2017, 2018, 2020, 2021)
    • best short-form romance (2019)
    • best long-form romance (2019)
    • best dark (2021, 2022)
    • funniest story (2021, 2022)
    • best crime/mystery (2021)
    • best action/adventure (2021)
    • best slow burn romance (2022)
    • best raging fire romance (2022)
  • theme-specific
    • best description (2017, 2020, 2021, 2022)
    • best dialogue (2017, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022)
    • best family/friendship (2018)
    • best family (2019, 2020)
    • best friendship (2019, 2020)
    • best lgbtqia+ (2017)
    • best depiction of a mental illness/disability (2017, 2018)
    • most original story (2019)
    • most creative story (2020, 2021)
    • best quote (2021)
    • best plot twist (2021)
    • most thrilling story (2022)
  • story type/length-specific
    • best novel (2017)
    • best one-shot (2017, 2020, 2022)
    • best poem/drabble (2019)
    • best drabble (2020, 2021)
    • best podfic (2020)
    • best poem (2020, 2021, 2022)
    • best long-form story (2021, 2022)
    • best series/universe (2022)
    • best short-form story (2022)
  • character-specific
    • best lgbtqia+ character (2018)
    • best major harry potter character (2017, 2018)
    • best minor harry potter character (2017, 2018, 2019)
    • best/most original character (2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022)
    • best cast/ensemble (2021, 2022)
  • pairing-specific
    • best rare pair (2018)

please post your suggestions/comments by February 3rd.

a follow-up poll to choose from the categories suggested and the number of categories will be posted after this one closes.

• Like 1
  • elmo fire 1

i might be back with more thoughts later, but i did really enjoy having separate categories for slow burn and raging fire romances; those felt more specific rather than doing a general "romance" category (even with the two different forms that we had in 2019) and made it easier to nominate stories, at least imo ^_^

and might i suggest a new category this year (while potentially keeping both 'best family' and 'best friendship'): best found family. it's a pretty popular trope and i think it'd do pretty well in getting nominations

also, probably a dumb question: are we including both hp fics and non-hp fics in the same categories? i think we did that last year, but my mind is blanking and i just thought i'd ask ^_^

excited the inkys are back this year!

• sparkles 1

9 hours ago, dreamshadow said:

also, probably a dumb question: are we including both hp fics and non-hp fics in the same categories? i think we did that last year, but my mind is blanking and i just thought i'd ask ^_^

Yes, we’re no longer doing HP categories separate from non-HP 

• elmo fire 1

Generally I like the story length/type categories and the genre categories the most. I think we had a great lineup of categories last year. In particular I also think the slow burn vs raging fire romance worked really well, makes sense because of the fact that the majority of fics are romance, and I agree with @dreamshadow it made it easier to nominate fics. 

I’m less a fan of really specific things like Best Plot Twist or Best Quote. I find them harder to nominate and vote for, and in general since we can only have so many categories I think they’re best used for categories that let you judge fics more holistically. A lot of the theme/skill-specific categories seem to fit this bill as well, like Best Cast/Ensemble, Best Worldbuilding (@magemadi I’m pretty sure this was a fic-specific category and not author-specific? Might be misremembering though!), or Best Family or Friendship.

• Like 1
  • chef kiss 1

I agree with Melanie. My favorite categories are the ones that are genre-specific ones and story length/type (specifically for things like poetry and drabbles that may not get voted for in the broader categories). I liked the addition of Best Series/Universe last year cause I feel like there's a lot of that in the archive.

I'd like to see more cast/character specific categories outside of the HP boundary. Things like, Best OC, Best Cast/Ensemble, Favorite Lead/Major Character, Favorite Supporting/Minor Character, Favorite Pairing/Ship, The Best, Best Friends. My angsty heart would love a Best Villain category. 

An improvement to the more specific things like Best Quote could be scene driven categories. It's more direct than the full story, but moments that stuck with you. Things like Best Fight, Best Confession, Best Death, Best Kiss or Best Hook-up, Best Break-Up. 

Edited by RogueSlytherin
  • Like 2

I think we got a good mixture of categories last year and would be pretty happy for the categories to stay the same/pretty similar. I do like the idea of 'best lead' and 'best supporting character' though as suggested above.

I think people forget that categories last year were not HP specific at all but seem so because HP fics were/are still the biggest part of the archives. I think that's changed a lot this year with people doing different fandoms which is cool.

I was a little unsure to begin with about the nomination process last year but I really ended up liking it and thought it worked really nicely. 

So I see that AO3 pages would also be considered for awards but does that mean during the reviewing event that we would be expected to be reviewing off site or sign up for AO3 account specifically for that? 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, RonsGirlFriday said:

Best Worldbuilding (@magemadi I’m pretty sure this was a fic-specific category and not author-specific? Might be misremembering though!)

Correct -- this was a fic-specific category, as we also had the Best Series/Universe category and felt the distinction was necessary to make for those two categories. ✨ 

14 hours ago, crimson quill said:

So I see that AO3 pages would also be considered for awards but does that mean during the reviewing event that we would be expected to be reviewing off site or sign up for AO3 account specifically for that? 

Short answer - no, you don't have to sign up for an account on AO3 or review on AO3 during the event!

Long answer - As many members cross-post their work to the FFT archives and AO3 but don't necessarily post everything from their AO3 pages to FFT, we wanted to offer the ability to nominate stories by our wonderful community that may not be posted (yet) to the FFT archives. Thus, we will be allowing reviewing on AO3 as well, but there will be the usual requirements to identify event comments that will be made clear when we start the review event! You 100% do not have to participate on AO3 in either reviews or for nominations, so don't feel pressured to create an account over there just for this event.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs up 1

i agree that story type and genre categories are great and probably the easiest for me to nominate and vote for. and last year i was pretty happy with the mix we had, though personally i'd maybe go with less categories but i know that's usually decided with a poll 😂

i feel like last year i was kinda struggling the most with best series/universe, not entirely sure why but it felt a lil nebulous :hmm: oh and best worldbuilding - i mean i like the category but it felt more difficult than most others.

also think it might be interesting exploring jacque's idea for best-scene-thing.

i honestly didn't read that much except the fluff drabbles after the review event last year so i'm not the best judge as to what type of stories we've got eligible in terms of number of stories that would fit a certain category.

• Like 1