Login/ validation issues? Or need to contact us for any other reason? ×
FanficTalk

Prefect's Fall Writing Challenge | November 10th, 2018

magemadi

Challenge Name: [Insert Prefect Writing Challenge Name Here]   (Prefect's Fall Writing Challenge)

Deadline: 10 November 2018

Description: You've survived the train ride and made it back to Hogwarts! Congratulations students! That also means it's time for your first Homework Assignment (Prefect Writing Challenge) of the school year! 

It's Autumn here at Hogwarts, which means that we'll be wanting you to include this magnificent season into your writing! Honestly, how amazing does the Whomping Willow tree look with all of its ominously swinging limbs garnished in shades of burnt oranges and golden yellows? Autumn also comes with some fantastic myths from all over the globe, especially when it ties into those October events! Perhaps you'd prefer to explore some myths and legends in your writing.  Alternatively in the Muggle realm, the next Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them releases this fall, so maybe you'd like to write about some cool mythological creatures, instead.

Prompts:

Write a one-shot (approximately 1000 words maximum), including one of the following:

• Myths and Legends from around the world (from local myths to urban legends to fairy-tales, the choice is yours)
  • Mythical Creatures and/or Fantastic Beasts
  • Something pertaining to the Fall Season (ie: Halloween, pumpkin picking, apple picking, decorating, any celebration held during Autumn, etc.)

Details: You may include multiple prompts, but do note that there will be no bonuses (in the form of judging points or prizes) for combining prompts. You may combine this with other challenges. You may not submit a prewritten story. Please include which prompt(s) you will be using in your one-shot in your post in this thread. Only one entry per person is allowed. 

Accepted Fandoms: Harry Potter and Original Fiction

Accepted Ratings: A-M

Length: Please keep all submissions to a word count under one-thousand (1,000) words.

Prizes:

Each Entry: Each entry will receive an entry review from one of the Prefects. 

Third Place: Award Graphic, PicSpam related to their entry, WJ Questions

Second Place: Award Graphic, PicSpam related to their entry, WJ Questions, One (1) Additional Review

First Place:  Award Graphic, PicSpam related to their entry, WJ Questions, Customizable About Me Dividers (see spoiler below for template), Feature in the Prefect Blog 

Spoiler

PreformHeaderCompleteText.png.c3c08e0696ff7a812f14757516734fa9.png

DividerIntroduction.png.01f8988f8da651410eeee5a4aa727735.png

DividerAwards.png.7aab00979bc4b4c35bbf0c26cd28f090.png

DividersWriting.png.1786f578ed83c20dd21ce179b1c1ed16.png

DividersGifts.png.8b0235d5d810376598f3523c332a91c7.png

DividersConclusion.png.83822450d2768e8cba81c93bcd98a898.png

Happy writing!!

:smilingpumpkin:

--Your HPFT Prefect Team

Oh, I've got an idea kicking around for Harry Potter that I've been wanting to get out of my head and on metaphorical paper for ages. Count me in!

An idea is already partly on the writing page- Harry Potter related one with testing out an Original Character whose bounced around my head for years, count me in!

I think it really will be a challenge for me because I have some trouble keeping my stories short, but I already have a prompt and story on my mind and I think I'll be able to make it work. Count me in ^_^

276166234_ymmwsignature.jpg.1bc4b7af1a8e760f5b6a4a0ad3d7b0de.jpg

Dang. I have the perfect story for this on my AP already. I wrote about El Cucuy awhile back. 

I’m going to try to write something for this. Perhaps about La Llorona or La Chupacabra. Maybe I’ll even do more than one. Who knows? Just put me down for Mexican folklore.

Going to say in also.

Yay so much interest already! Can't wait to see what great things you all come up with! :spider: Also, please make sure to say which prompt(s) you're using in your one-shots somewhere within the story summary/description/notes. ^_^ 

1 hour ago, Chelts-rhj said:

Can we submit more than one entry? I have two ideas I can't decide between. ?

Unfortunately we're going to limit everyone to one entry for this challenge. You're welcome of course to still write two and then submit whichever one you'd like. ^_^ Shall I add you to the participants list?

✋I have another question. ?

Does Greek mythology count as myths/legends or would that fall out of the HP and OC fandom? 

Sorry I’m being difficult. 

I have two questions: Would y’all consider the Salem Witch Trials as fitting the myths and legends prompt? Also how strict is that max word count? 

Count me in.

9 hours ago, Chelts-rhj said:

✋I have another question. ?

Does Greek mythology count as myths/legends or would that fall out of the HP and OC fandom? 

Sorry I’m being difficult. 

You're not being difficult, no worries! Greek mythology totally counts as myths/legends. :) 

2 hours ago, MalfoysAngel said:

I have two questions: Would y’all consider the Salem Witch Trials as fitting the myths and legends prompt? Also how strict is that max word count? 

Count me in.

Yes the Salem Witch Trials are definitely open for use! 

As far as max word count goes, we'll give a 10% leeway -- in other words, up to 1100 words will be allowed, but we'd really appreciate as close to 1000 if possible. ^_^ 

Participants under the spoiler

6 hours ago, Chemical_Pixie said:

Can this be an invented myth/legend to fit the story (i.e. urban legend that there's a talking walrus in the prefect's bathroom that only appears at 2:16am on the new moon)? Or does the myth/legend have to be...pre-made (i.e. Chamber of Secrets, saying "Candyman" or whatever three times in a mirror, Slenderman, etc.)?

You can have an invented myth/legend, but we'd love it if you could include one of the other prompts as well! A little sprinkling of autumn, perhaps? A fantastic beast at the heart of the urban legend? The world is your oyster!

Yay! Can't wait to see what you come up with, Abby! ^_^ 

Participants under the spoiler

Wow you all wrote so fast! :yay: Looking forward to seeing what you all came up with! ^_^ 

Participants and Entries under the spoiler: 

Spoiler

Participants: 

@Lady Ausra

@northbound24

@you-make-me-wander

@TreacleTart

@TidalDragon

@juls

@dirigibleplums

@victoria_anne

@Diogenissa

@MalfoysAngel

@Chemical_Pixie

Entries:

@Chelts-rhj Queen of the Underworld  -  Prompt: Myths and Legends

@Amortentia1992 In The Forest (M)  -  Prompt: Halloween/Autumn

@Finefrenzy__ Entry in Queue  -  Prompt: Halloween

• 2 weeks later...

Just submitted my entry entitled 'A Halloween Wake' to the queue (and my first story on the archives yay!)

Prompts used: Halloween (apple bobbing or bobbing for apples))

Archived