Deadline: 20 June 2019

Any fandom, including OF
Any rating
Any length
Any pairing
Any genre except poetry

The Challenge
Write a story that can be described with the phrase "______ meets ______"

A friend of mine was recently explaining that when writing query letters for a manuscript, it is customary to include a line that compares your book to a combination of two other books or well-known stories. According to my friend, these are called ‘comps' (comparisons). They should be well known enough that most people will be at least somewhat familiar with them.

For example, Brooklyn 99 could have the comp:
“The Office meets NYPD Blue.” 

While certain combinations may seem destined for crack!fic, I challenge you to avoid that if possible.

Entries may be submitted for other challenges
Multiple entries accepted
Pre-written work not accepted

Rules

1. You must post your story on the HPFT archives, indicate in the story shell that it is for a challenge, and include “for the [Blank] Meets [Blank] Challenge in the story summary.
  2. You may not write within the fandom of either of the comps that you are using. IE, if you are assigned the comps “The Hobbit meets Peter Pan,” you may not write a fic set in or using characters from either of those fandoms. This is not a crossover challenge.
  3. As mentioned above, any length story is permitted. You do not need to have a certain number of chapters posted if you write a WIP, but keep in mind that I will only judge based on what is posted by the challenge deadline, so your comps need to clearly show up in that portion. In order to allow for longer fics, I've set quite a long deadline for this challenge.
  4. You may switch numbers up to 3 times, total. 

Rewards!

All entrants will receive a review on their entry and a graphic

First Place: 4 reviews, favorite story, favorite author, rec in appropriate forum thread, link in my signature for 3 months

Second Place: 3 reviews, favorite story, favorite author, rec in appropriate forum thread

Third Place: 2 reviews, favorite story, rec in appropriate forum thread

In case of Honorable Mentions: 1 review, rec in appropriate forum thread 

To enter, reply as a taker in this thread.
If you want me to provide both comps, select two numbers, 1-105.
If you want me to provide only one comp, select one number, 1-105 and let me know which other comp you plan to use.

Or, pick both comps yourself. Just be sure to tell me what they are. ;) 

Have fun! I can't wait to see what you come up with! :D 

• Like 2

Does it have to be two fandoms that meet? Could it be like 2 settings or 2 objects?

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, potionspartner said:

Does it have to be two fandoms that meet? Could it be like 2 settings or 2 objects?

Interesting question! I'm going to say that it could not be two settings or two objects. Fictional setting (even if it's realistic) is pretty inherent to a story, so that seems very similar to simply using the fandom/book/movie/etc. If the setting is a real place, that doesn't really create a sense of the story in the intended way. Similarly, I cannot thinking of any objects that would create the clear comparison between one story and another that I'm looking for. 

If you think I'm missing the mark, you can definitely tell me what you specifically have in mind and maybe I'll change my mind... but probably not. Sorry! :$

2 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin said:

O.o... Could I see two random numbers please? 

Hello Rumpel! :D 

You got #32 and #66: The Frog Prince meets Survivor"

:roflol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Could I be a taker with a Harry Potter fic that is Moonlight meets The Perks of Being a Wallflower? (hopefully these are well known enough) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crestwood said:

Could I be a taker with a Harry Potter fic that is Moonlight meets The Perks of Being a Wallflower? (hopefully these are well known enough) 

For sure! I haven't seen Moonlight (queer demerits, I know!), but I know the basic premise. And I'd like to see it anyway. The Perks of Being a Wallflower is on my list!

1 minute ago, Rumpelstiltskin said:

?? I'll be back if I can't make that work. 

Sounds good ;) 

I’ll try this. Can I see two random numbers please? *crosses fingers for stuff I know*

1 minute ago, MalfoysAngel said:

I’ll try this. Can I see two random numbers please? *crosses fingers for stuff I know*

Hi Tasha! :D Of course you can! (And you can always switch one or both of them)

You got #53 and #97:  Rear Window meets The Breakfast Club

(I personally think this sounds amazing, but I can totally give you something else if you haven't seen Rear Window)

22 minutes ago, MuggleMaybe said:

If you think I'm missing the mark, you can definitely tell me what you specifically have in mind and maybe I'll change my mind... but probably not. Sorry! :$

Oh, I have no idea. I'm just considering how wild my imagination could get. If I get a solid idea, I'll let you know. 

• Like 1

I have not seen Rear Window but I can watch the version with Christopher Reeve on Prime so let me watch it and get back to you. (Unless you were referring to the original 1950s version in which case I would like to request a new number for that one)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MalfoysAngel said:

I have not seen Rear Window but I can watch the version with Christopher Reeve on Prime so let me watch it and get back to you. (Unless you were referring to the original 1950s version in which case I would like to request a new number for that one)

I didn't know there was a new version, but it looks like the story is the same so the remake would be fine too! (Although Gregory Peck is sooooo good in the original, but oh well.) And if you decide to switch after all, just let me know :) 

Ugggghhhh Renee this is such a good idea. I want to try with Six of Crows meets ____ so can I try a random number?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PaulaTheProkaryote said:

Ugggghhhh Renee this is such a good idea. I want to try with Six of Crows meets ____ so can I try a random number?

PAULA

SIX OF CROWS IS LITERALLY THE BOOK THAT MADE ME WANT TO HOLD THIS CHALLENGE. 

in other words, yes that is perfect!

You got #47: Six of Crows meets Dead Poets Society

• Like 1

Sounds great, @TreacleTart :D 

Edited by MuggleMaybe

Could I have two random numbers please Renee? ❤️ 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, facingthenorthwind said:

Could I have two random numbers please Renee? ❤️ 

Emma! Of course you can!

You got #76 and #87: The Truman Show meets Rent

1 minute ago, MuggleMaybe said:

Emma! Of course you can!

You got #76 and #87: The Truman Show meets Rent

Iiiiii have never seen Rent, could I get another? The Truman Show sounds DELICIOUS to have in this challenge though, I'm excited.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, facingthenorthwind said:

Iiiiii have never seen Rent, could I get another? The Truman Show sounds DELICIOUS to have in this challenge though, I'm excited.

Oooh if you ever have the chance I think you'd like it! But yes, of course you can.

How about #21 and #76: The Truman Show meets The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?

• Like 1

So I’m going to be a VERY heavy maybe. But I think I want to try this. I’m thinking of trying and OF that is Sword Art Online meets Avatar: The Last Airbender. 

• Like 2

I probably shouldn't sign up for a challenge but... I'm very tempted to give this a shot with OF.

Can I do Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda meets The Breakfast Club? I have a vague plunny ?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MegGonagall said:

So I’m going to be a VERY heavy maybe. But I think I want to try this. I’m thinking of trying and OF that is Sword Art Online meets Avatar: The Last Airbender. 

Hello Meg! Unfortunately, I’ve never heard of Sword Art Online. I looked it up and I think it qualifies. You can use it if you want to. Just bear in mind I might miss a lot while judging.

52 minutes ago, dreamgazer220 said:

Can I do Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda meets The Breakfast Club? I have a vague plunny ?

Jill! That sounds awesome! 

• Like 1

i have an idea for a jily au that’s basically brooklyn 99 meets how to lose a guy in 10 days if you’re familiar with both of those? :P

• Like 1