Login/ validation issues? Or need to contact us for any other reason? ×
FanficTalk

Best Dialogue - Nomination Thread

TidalDragon

BEST DIALOGUE

Some stories demand to be told primarily in dialogue. Some authors are exceptional artists when it comes to making characters and stories come to life through speech. In this category we're looking for the best use of dialogue across the board in a story. 

To make a nomination, please use the form below:

Story Title:
Author:
Link:
Reason for Nomination:

To second or third, please quote the original nomination and post "Seconded" or "Thirded" as the case may be.

Please check the thread for nominations, seconds, and thirds before posting your own new nomination! Remember, you're limited to one (1) nomination (including seconding or thirding). You can also check previous winners in this category +here.

Previous Winners:

• 2017: Pure Intentions by toomanycurls (Harry Potter)

Story Title: Blah, Blah, Blah, Moony!
Author: @Rumpelstiltskin
Link: here
Reason for Nomination: Dialogue-only fics are extremely difficult to pull off, but this story nailed it! I didn't even feel like I was missing the narrative. Rumpels managed to get just enough detail into Remus and Sirius's lines without making their speech sound unnatural or "edited," so to speak. Furthermore, they each had very distinct voices, and I never once found myself wishing for dialogue tags so I'd know who was talking. Their individual personalities shined through their words, and I can only wish I had the talent to pull off something like this!

29 minutes ago, ReillyJade said:

Reason for Nomination: Dialogue-only fics are extremely difficult to pull off, but this story nailed it! I didn't even feel like I was missing the narrative. Rumpels managed to get just enough detail into Remus and Sirius's lines without making their speech sound unnatural or "edited," so to speak. Furthermore, they each had very distinct voices, and I never once found myself wishing for dialogue tags so I'd know who was talking. Their individual personalities shined through their words, and I can only wish I had the talent to pull off something like this!

Seconded! 

39 minutes ago, ReillyJade said:

Thirded

Story Title: Home
Author: @adorably cute
Link: +here
Reason for Nomination: while this whole novel is absolutely wonderful, sarah's dialogue is really the highlight in my opinion. each of her many characters has such a distinctive voice, and they're all so dang funny that you'll catch yourself giggling at random lines throughout the story. at least 50% of my review content on any given chapter was talking about how much i loved whatever crazy/funny things each character said.

2 minutes ago, ShadowRose said:

Story Title: Home
Author: @adorably cute
Link: +here
Reason for Nomination: while this whole novel is absolutely wonderful, sarah's dialogue is really the highlight in my opinion. each of her many characters has such a distinctive voice, and they're all so dang funny that you'll catch yourself giggling at random lines throughout the story. at least 50% of my review content on any given chapter was talking about how much i loved whatever crazy/funny things each character said.

Yes yes yes agreed! Seconded!

3 minutes ago, Alwynse said:

Yes yes yes agreed! Seconded!

third. 

Story Title: bring your curses home
Author: @facingthenorthwind
Link: link
Reason for Nomination: Emma is just so good at crafting natural sounding dialogue! She manages to get more across than she actually writes down for you to read, masterfully weaving rich subtext into her stories and this one is no exception!

Story Title:、I'll Met in Darkness
Author: @Oldershouldknowbetter
Link: click (M)

Reason for Nomination:  As the author wrote in his notes, you could catch the protagonist's emotions and the facial expressions from those excellent dialogues. The plot is also a great idea!

Story Title: china doll
Author: @forever_dreaming
Link: here+
Reason for Nomination: Shreya does so much through unconventional dialogue in this story. She doesn't use quotation marks anywhere, but it's always clear when Cho's mom is speaking to her, and through a really phenomenal use of dialect, syntax, and diction, Shreya shows such deep understanding of characterization and the relationship between her characters.

36 minutes ago, Renacerá said:

Reason for Nomination: Shreya does so much through unconventional dialogue in this story. She doesn't use quotation marks anywhere, but it's always clear when Cho's mom is speaking to her, and through a really phenomenal use of dialect, syntax, and diction, Shreya shows such deep understanding of characterization and the relationship between her characters.

Second!

On 2/6/2019 at 10:27 AM, crestwood said:

Reason for Nomination: Emma is just so good at crafting natural sounding dialogue! She manages to get more across than she actually writes down for you to read, masterfully weaving rich subtext into her stories and this one is no exception!

second!

11 hours ago, Renacerá said:

Thirding!

Guest Rumpelstiltskin
4 hours ago, galadriel said:
On 2/5/2019 at 11:57 PM, crestwood said:

second!

Third! 

Story Title: The Art of Being Nonchalant (or not)
Author: @starbuck
Link: +HERE
Reason for Nomination: This story has quickly grown to become one of my favorites! It is fantastically well-written all throughout, and Kris does such a superb job of capturing every character interaction extremely well. And with such an amazing cast of characters; a mixture of both cannon and OC, it can be difficult to write the larger group conversations, and keep track of who is speaking and when. But Kris does so effortlessly all throughout this fic. Every character has a unique voice and personality of their own (especially Quin) and the dialogue always flows so smoothly between all of her characters in every single chapter. It is such a good read, and I have loved getting caught up in this story so much!!

30 minutes ago, RoxiMalfoy said:

Reason for Nomination: This story has quickly grown to become one of my favorites! It is fantastically well-written all throughout, and Kris does such a superb job of capturing every character interaction extremely well. And with such an amazing cast of characters; a mixture of both cannon and OC, it can be difficult to write the larger group conversations, and keep track of who is speaking and when. But Kris does so effortlessly all throughout this fic. Every character has a unique voice and personality of their own (especially Quin) and the dialogue always flows so smoothly between all of her characters in every single chapter. It is such a good read, and I have loved getting caught up in this story so much!!

100 percent yes! TAOBN is brilliant.

Seconded.

Story Title: Warpaint
Author: Crimson Quill
Link: Here 
Reason for Nomination: Warpaint is a great story and four chapters in, the characters have already evolved so much, which translates through to the dialogue. As Albus is becoming more confident (and learning the word 'no'), his voice is too, revealing a rather witty chap. Similarly, as Bee is evolving into more than just a queen bee, her tone of voice is changing. It is really clever and brilliantly written. All the OCs and Next Gen characters have very distinctive voices too. 

13 hours ago, RoxiMalfoy said:

Third!

8 hours ago, LadyMarauder said:

Story Title: Warpaint
Author: Crimson Quill
Link: Here 
Reason for Nomination: Warpaint is a great story and four chapters in, the characters have already evolved so much, which translates through to the dialogue. As Albus is becoming more confident (and learning the word 'no'), his voice is too, revealing a rather witty chap. Similarly, as Bee is evolving into more than just a queen bee, her tone of voice is changing. It is really clever and brilliantly written. All the OCs and Next Gen characters have very distinctive voices too. 

Second.

Story Title: Reckless
Author: @ShadowRose
Link: clicky+
Reason for Nomination: Taylor uses dialogue in two different formats here, which she does extremely well! The main one is obviously the usual dialogue, but the banter between Lily and James and also Lily and Marlene is just so wonderful and hilarious (and flirty w/James) it's just fantastic. She also utilizes text messages between James and Lily and it's such an integral part of developing their relationship and strengthens the story. The back and forth between Lily and Marlene is so different to Lily and James and yet the dialogue throughout is so rock solid and consistent it's just wonderful. ❤️ 

11 hours ago, MadiMalfoy said:

Reason for Nomination: Taylor uses dialogue in two different formats here, which she does extremely well! The main one is obviously the usual dialogue, but the banter between Lily and James and also Lily and Marlene is just so wonderful and hilarious (and flirty w/James) it's just fantastic. She also utilizes text messages between James and Lily and it's such an integral part of developing their relationship and strengthens the story. The back and forth between Lily and Marlene is so different to Lily and James and yet the dialogue throughout is so rock solid and consistent it's just wonderful. ❤️ 

seconding!

On 2/12/2019 at 3:32 AM, MadiMalfoy said:

Third

• Alopex locked this topic

Archived