Login/ validation issues? Or need to contact us for any other reason? ×
FanficTalk

Best Original Character - Nomination Thread

TidalDragon

BEST ORIGINAL CHARACTER

They weren't born from canon. They weren't born from anywhere other than their author's mind. This is the place for the characters your fellow authors have, through an incredible amount of hard work, created for our reading pleasure - the real OCs.

To make a nomination, please use the form below:

Name of Character:
Story Title:
Author:
Link:
Reason for Nomination:

To second or third, please quote the original nomination and post "Seconded" or "Thirded" as the case may be.

Please check the thread for nominations, seconds, and thirds before posting your own new nomination! Remember, you're limited to one (1) nomination (including seconding or thirding). 

Previous Winners:

• 2018: Dahlia Darzi in When Dahlias Bloom by dirigibleplums (Harry Potter)
  • 2017: Finn Blishwick in The Harder They Fall by victoria_anne (Harry Potter)

Name of Character: Cassie Yaxley
Story Title: Yaxley
Author: @Sleepingbagonthesofa
Linkhere
Reason for Nomination: Cassie is amazing. I love her character so much because she’s so complicated as a person which really makes her very realistic. Deni has made Cassie just a strong, stubborn, loyal person which makes her so likeable yet she has created this dark element to her character which makes her deeply intriguing too.

3 hours ago, Crimson Quill said:

Name of Character: Cassie Yaxley
Story Title: Yaxley
Author: @Sleepingbagonthesofa
Linkhere
Reason for Nomination: Cassie is amazing. I love her character so much because she’s so complicated as a person which really makes her very realistic. Deni has made Cassie just a strong, stubborn, loyal person which makes her so likeable yet she has created this dark element to her character which makes her deeply intriguing too.

Seconded!

Name of Character: Alex Talon
Story Title: Child of the Hunt
Author: @Alexis Black
Linkhttps://hpfanfictalk.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=340
Reason for Nomination: Alex is her own character, she does not depend upon any other character and stands on her own two feet.  Her story is her own, other characters have theirs.  These stories happen simultaneously but not shared.  It's brilliant.  Alex is also filled with spunk and personality and truly shows how she is both a Gryffindor and a Slytherin at heart.  She is a character who embraces the mantra of 'If you're going to walk on thin ice, might as well dance across with style' (Quote used by Alex in the story).

Guest Rumpelstiltskin

Name of Character: Saleena Blackwell
Story Title: Love, Not War  (she's also in Perfect and Born a Leader)
Author: @RoxiMalfoy
Link: here
Reason for Nomination: Because Saleena is a part of a special group of magical people, she inherently brings an entirely new element to the HP world, bringing new conflicts and ideas to the fight-against-Voldemort narrative we've come to know and love. It's a very unique concept that required a ton of planning (especially once you start digging into the backstory) on Deana's part. Aside from this, Saleena herself is an amazing character. She's driven and strong, spicy and determined, compassionate and has all the best intentions at heart. Her independence and kindness are well-balanced by what she's had to go through in her own backstory (featuring the breaking of a family, plus a really tragic Sirius x Saleena story -- be still my broken heart), and who she was able to become. Another one of my favorite traits of Saleena is how much she cares for Draco (she's his family's physician, and they have an amazing bond -- so I've unofficially dubbed her his Auntie, because she makes a better Auntie than Bellatrix <.< ).  Anyway, Saleena is an amazingly well-developed, interesting, strong character. 

3 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin said:

Reason for Nomination: Because Saleena is a part of a special group of magical people, she inherently brings an entirely new element to the HP world, bringing new conflicts and ideas to the fight-against-Voldemort narrative we've come to know and love. It's a very unique concept that required a ton of planning (especially once you start digging into the backstory) on Deana's part. Aside from this, Saleena herself is an amazing character. She's driven and strong, spicy and determined, compassionate and has all the best intentions at heart. Her independence and kindness are well-balanced by what she's had to go through in her own backstory (featuring the breaking of a family, plus a really tragic Sirius x Saleena story -- be still my broken heart), and who she was able to become. Another one of my favorite traits of Saleena is how much she cares for Draco (she's his family's physician, and they have an amazing bond -- so I've unofficially dubbed her his Auntie, because she makes a better Auntie than Bellatrix <.< ).  Anyway, Saleena is an amazingly well-developed, interesting, strong character. 

Was just coming here to nominate her myself lol. Definitely seconded! 

Name of Character: Anne Clarke
Story Title: The Anne Clarke Chronicle
Author: @MrsDarcy
Link: here+
Reason for Nomination: anne is an extremely relatable character - she's a little bit awkward, but has a good heart. she's also very funny, especially in her dealings with severus snape (i call that! braveryTM ). she's also witty and can be a little sarcastic but i feel like she truly comes alive while i'm reading the anne clarke chronicle. like she's a person i might know in real life. i think that says a lot about her.

Name of Character: Amelia Fortescue
Story Title: A Place Not Far From Here
Author: @Chemical_Pixie
Link: +here
Reason for Nomination: abby has created such a brilliant character in this story, giving her an intricate (and slightly terrifying) family history and set of personality traits. she's such a complex character with as many flaws as she has strengths, and it's incredible to see how much she changes as the fic progresses, as well as between the past and present versions of her (thanks to the whole split timeline thing).

10 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin said:

Thirded

5 hours ago, ShadowRose said:

Reason for Nomination: abby has created such a brilliant character in this story, giving her an intricate (and slightly terrifying) family history and set of personality traits. she's such a complex character with as many flaws as she has strengths, and it's incredible to see how much she changes as the fic progresses, as well as between the past and present versions of her (thanks to the whole split timeline thing).

100% seconded!

On 2/5/2019 at 9:13 AM, scooterbug8515 said:

Link: https://hpfanfictalk.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=340
Reason for Nomination: Alex is her own character, she does not depend upon any other character and stands on her own two feet.  Her story is her own, other characters have theirs.  These stories happen simultaneously but not shared.  It's brilliant.  Alex is also filled with spunk and personality and truly shows how she is both a Gryffindor and a Slytherin at heart.  She is a character who embraces the mantra of 'If you're going to walk on thin ice, might as well dance across with style' (Quote used by Alex in the story).

Yasss, so Seconding!!! I love CotH so much!! ?

On 2/5/2019 at 11:13 PM, scooterbug8515 said:

Linkhttps://hpfanfictalk.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=340

Thirded

No hesitation.

Name of Character: Alba Williamson
Story Title: Stand Tall
Author: @Chelts-rhj
Reason for Nomination: Alba is the badass Triwizard heroine you never knew you needed. She's such an honest portrayal of a person with cerebral palsy, but Chelts never reduces her to "the CP girl." Alba is ridiculously smart and witty; she has strong friendships with other amazing OCs; she fights through every challenge that comes her way; and she's just someone you'll desperately wish you knew.

On 2/6/2019 at 5:43 AM, Felpata_Lupin said:
On 2/5/2019 at 11:54 PM, ShadowRose said:

100% seconded!

Thirding ❤️❤️

2 hours ago, Renacerá said:

No hesitation.

Reason for Nomination: Alba is the badass Triwizard heroine you never knew you needed. She's such an honest portrayal of a person with cerebral palsy, but Chelts never reduces her to "the CP girl." Alba is ridiculously smart and witty; she has strong friendships with other amazing OCs; she fights through every challenge that comes her way; and she's just someone you'll desperately wish you knew.

Seconding because I just love Alba and her story so much ?

7 hours ago, MadiMalfoy said:
9 hours ago, Renacerá said:

No hesitation.

Seconding because I just love Alba and her story so much ?

Third! ❤️ 

Name of Character: Bee (Bianca Forestieri)
Story Title: Warpaint
Author: @Crimson Quill
Link: click
Reason for Nomination: Abbi has only posted four chapters of Warpaint so far, but her protagonist, Bee, is wonderfully alive.  She's a very well written character, who's funny and witty but also incredibly complex; she's very far from what she seems to be on the surface and even in a short space of the story, there's been so much character development.  It's easy to tell how deeply Abbi has thought about her OC and the brilliant portrayal of Bee in the story can't fail to bring her to life for the readers, too.

On 2/5/2019 at 3:37 PM, starbuck said:

Reason for Nomination: anne is an extremely relatable character - she's a little bit awkward, but has a good heart. she's also very funny, especially in her dealings with severus snape (i call that! braveryTM ). she's also witty and can be a little sarcastic but i feel like she truly comes alive while i'm reading the anne clarke chronicle. like she's a person i might know in real life. i think that says a lot about her.

Second!

On 2/8/2019 at 7:50 AM, nott theodore said:

Name of Character: Bee (Bianca Forestieri)
Story Title: Warpaint
Author: @Crimson Quill
Link: click
Reason for Nomination: Abbi has only posted four chapters of Warpaint so far, but her protagonist, Bee, is wonderfully alive.  She's a very well written character, who's funny and witty but also incredibly complex; she's very far from what she seems to be on the surface and even in a short space of the story, there's been so much character development.  It's easy to tell how deeply Abbi has thought about her OC and the brilliant portrayal of Bee in the story can't fail to bring her to life for the readers, too.

Thirding!

On 2/9/2019 at 8:42 AM, potionspartner said:

Second!

On 2/5/2019 at 12:37 PM, starbuck said:

Third

• Alopex locked this topic

Archived