Login/ validation issues? Or need to contact us for any other reason? ×
FanficTalk

Best Family - Nomination Thread

TidalDragon

BEST FAMILY

They might be parent and child. They might be brothers and sisters. It could even be an extended family situation. In this category we're looking for the best written familial relationships. PLEASE NOTEThe featured characters/relationships in these stories should be familial from start to finish.

To make a nomination, please use the form below:

Name of Characters:
Nature of Relationship:
Story Title:
Author:
Link:
Reason for Nomination:

To second or third, please quote the original nomination and post "Seconded" or "Thirded" as the case may be.

Please check the thread for nominations, seconds, and thirds before posting your own new nomination! Remember, you're limited to one (1) nomination (including seconding or thirding). 

Previous Winners:

• 2018: Peter Pettigrew and Sirius Black in Secret Keeper by poppunkpadfoot (Harry Potter) 

Name of Characters: Petter Pettigrew and Jimmy Portman
Nature of Relationship: Father And Son 
Story Title: All The Truth About Jimmy Portman 
Author: @Felpata_Lupin
Link: +here
Reason for Nomination: The relationship between Jimmy and Peter is, shall we say, a dramatic one. The story is built on the secrets that are hidden between them, which would put strain on any father/son relationship- especially this one. Despite the tension, the lies and the huge mistakes that one of them makes, they truly do love each other and it’s beautifully done. Their bond really is a streak of pure gold running through this novel and it’s what makes you go back chapter after chapter to watch unfold. Chiara has crafted a layered, complex dinamic what will have your heart break for these character and then have you sit and wonder how the hell she did that and when you’re going to get it out of your head (never). 

Name of Characters: Draco Malfoy, Astoria Malfoy, Scorpius Malfoy
Nature of Relationship: Father, Husband
Story Title: Only One
Author: @Oregonian 
Link: Only One (T) 
Reason for Nomination: 

Life has many ups and downs. Marriage, children and work is a better side of one coin, but sickness is not welcomed, besides, a bad timing for his wife, Astoria who has just become a mother. I really feel for Draco. If I am in the same situation, I will do in the same way as Draco, try not to let her worry about him while she has to take care of their new born baby.

One more impressive spot in this story is that he wishes he could enjoy Scorp, who was going to leave for Hogwarts. I have a child, so I understand his feeling very well. It's our pleasure seeing children growing up, at the same time we wish 'don't leave us so early'. As a whole, I like the author's narrative tone describing each scene, on the platform, in their home, the conversation between a son and a father.

4 hours ago, Sleepingbagonthesofa said:

Name of Characters: Petter Pettigrew and Jimmy Portman
Nature of Relationship: Father And Son 
Story Title: All The Truth About Jimmy Portman 
Author: @Felpata_Lupin
Link: +here
Reason for Nomination: The relationship between Jimmy and Peter is, shall we say, a dramatic one. The story is built on the secrets that are hidden between them, which would put strain on any father/son relationship- especially this one. Despite the tension, the lies and the huge mistakes that one of them makes, they truly do love each other and it’s beautifully done. Their bond really is a streak of pure gold running through this novel and it’s what makes you go back chapter after chapter to watch unfold. Chiara has crafted a layered, complex dinamic what will have your heart break for these character and then have you sit and wonder how the hell she did that and when you’re going to get it out of your head (never). 

Seconded ?

2 hours ago, StarFeather said:

Reason for Nomination: 

Life has many ups and downs. Marriage, children and work is a better side of one coin, but sickness is not welcomed, besides, a bad timing for his wife, Astoria who has just become a mother. I really feel for Draco. If I am in the same situation, I will do in the same way as Draco, try not to let her worry about him while she has to take care of their new born baby.

One more impressive spot in this story is that he wishes he could enjoy Scorp, who was going to leave for Hogwarts. I have a child, so I understand his feeling very well. It's our pleasure seeing children growing up, at the same time we wish 'don't leave us so early'. As a whole, I like the author's narrative tone describing each scene, on the platform, in their home, the conversation between a son and a father.

Seconded

4 hours ago, StarFeather said:

Reason for Nomination: 

Thirded!  (I was so thinking about nominating this story!  So good and powerful!)

Name of Characters: Hermione Granger and Rose Weasley
Nature of Relationship: Mother/Daughter
Story Title: Snapshots
Author: @MadiMalfoy
Link: here+
Reason for Nomination: This story takes place during Rose's fifth year at Hogwarts and it's told through letters between mother and daughter. Hermione helps her daughter navigate the trials and tribulations of being in school, being away from home, having boy problems, and so much more. It's a darling look into their relationship and tbh it makes me a bit weepy.

Name of Characters: Sirius Black and Harry Potter
Nature of Relationship: Godfather/Godson
Story Title: Of Bookshelves and Of Baby Carriers 
Author: @poppunkpadfoot
Linkclick
Reason for Nomination: I think this is a beautiful piece which highlights what family means. It deals with the grief and lost of a family through the eyes of Sirius and what it means to step up to look after someone so important to you even if it isn't by blood. Sirius is devoted carer for Harry during this piece. Kayla creates this adorable wolfstar with beautiful ending when they form a new little family unit while honouring Harry's parentage. I think it's wonderful because it challenges what defines family. Family isn't just nuclear family. Families are all different. 

Guest Rumpelstiltskin
1 hour ago, PaulaTheProkaryote said:

Reason for Nomination: This story takes place during Rose's fifth year at Hogwarts and it's told through letters between mother and daughter. Hermione helps her daughter navigate the trials and tribulations of being in school, being away from home, having boy problems, and so much more. It's a darling look into their relationship and tbh it makes me a bit weepy.

seconded

Name of Characters: Astoria Malfoy & Draco Malfoy & Susan Bones & Scorpius Malfoy
Nature of Relationship: Triad of partners & their baby
Story Title: lazy days
Author: justwillowtree
Link: Here+ 
Reason for Nomination: They're not a conventional family, as such, but Eva writes their lives - the more mundane, 'boring' elements of them, with the lazy mornings and the visiting a children's library - so beautifully and so heartfelt, and so delicately sweet. It's snapshots of the differing relationships between them, in all their combinations, but Eva goes to such depth of feeling with them all, and they're such interesting, lovely, heartwarming relationships. 

1 hour ago, Aphoride said:

Name of Characters: Astoria Malfoy & Draco Malfoy & Susan Bones & Scorpius Malfoy
Reason for Nomination: They're not a conventional family, as such, but Eva writes their lives - the more mundane, 'boring' elements of them, with the lazy mornings and the visiting a children's library - so beautifully and so heartfelt, and so delicately sweet. It's snapshots of the differing relationships between them, in all their combinations, but Eva goes to such depth of feeling with them all, and they're such interesting, lovely, heartwarming relationships. 

Seconded! :wub:

3 hours ago, Crimson Quill said:

Linkclick
Reason for Nomination: I think this is a beautiful piece which highlights what family means. It deals with the grief and lost of a family through the eyes of Sirius and what it means to step up to look after someone so important to you even if it isn't by blood. Sirius is devoted carer for Harry during this piece. Kayla creates this adorable wolfstar with beautiful ending when they form a new little family unit while honouring Harry's parentage. I think it's wonderful because it challenges what defines family. Family isn't just nuclear family. Families are all different. 

seconding!

Name of Characters: Harry Potter, Lily Potter
Nature of Relationship: father-daughter
Story Title: Unpave My Path
Author: @MegGonagall
Link: link
Reason for Nomination: Meg captures the feeling of a concerned, but caring parent perfectly here. I love that the familial relationships aren’t all perfect, as they rarely are in real life, but that there is still that warm feeling that they’d do anything for one another. It’s a delicate balance she strikes here and it’s compelling all the way through. 

2 hours ago, crestwood said:

Reason for Nomination: Meg captures the feeling of a concerned, but caring parent perfectly here. I love that the familial relationships aren’t all perfect, as they rarely are in real life, but that there is still that warm feeling that they’d do anything for one another. It’s a delicate balance she strikes here and it’s compelling all the way through. 

Second

Name of Characters: Lily Evans, Petunia Evans

Nature of Relationship: Sisters

Story Title: Beyond Repair 

Link+click

Reason for Nomination: Lily and Petunia’s relationship here is written so well, because there is so much depth to it that we never got to see in the books. It shows they were best friends as well as sisters, without falling into the trap of making Petunia the ‘antagonist’, so to speak. There’s a realistic balance between the imperfection (arguments, tension, partially caused by Petunia’s jealousy) and how both of them still clearly care for one another. There are some really sweet moments between the two, but it’s also slightly heartbreaking to read because you can see the cracks in their relationship slowly beginning to form as the story progresses and you know it will probably deteriorate even more.

1 hour ago, lovegood27 said:

Link+click

Reason for Nomination: Lily and Petunia’s relationship here is written so well, because there is so much depth to it that we never got to see in the books. It shows they were best friends as well as sisters, without falling into the trap of making Petunia the ‘antagonist’, so to speak. There’s a realistic balance between the imperfection (arguments, tension, partially caused by Petunia’s jealousy) and how both of them still clearly care for one another. There are some really sweet moments between the two, but it’s also slightly heartbreaking to read because you can see the cracks in their relationship slowly beginning to form as the story progresses and you know it will probably deteriorate even more.

Seconded! 

8 hours ago, lovegood27 said:

Link+click

Thirded!

On 2/5/2019 at 3:11 PM, Aphoride said:

Hi, yes, thirded forever. ❤️

On 2/5/2019 at 1:06 PM, PaulaTheProkaryote said:

On 2/5/2019 at 3:03 PM, Rumpelstiltskin said:

seconded

Definitely Thirding!! I love Madi's writing so much, and this piece was beautifully written!!! ?

On 2/5/2019 at 1:03 PM, Crimson Quill said:

Linkclick

Third third third!!!

Name of Characters: Ginny, Harry, Lily, James, and Albus Potter
Nature of Relationship: Parents/Children
Story Title: The Shopping List
Author: @esmeraude
Link: clicky+
Reason for Nomination: Esmeraude takes something that you would think couldn't express distinct personalities and absolutely excels at it! The grocery list on the fridge sows how each of the three Potter children A) like their own kinds of specific foods and B) constantly antagonize each other for those food choices. It's lighthearted fun with just a few inserts from Ginny and Harry to maintain the food items on the list. Harry's lack of true awareness about James's personal habits and the subsequent hilarity from Albus and Lily is priceless and there's just so much fun like this in this piece! Do I really need to say any more? :D 

1 hour ago, MadiMalfoy said:

Reason for Nomination: Esmeraude takes something that you would think couldn't express distinct personalities and absolutely excels at it! The grocery list on the fridge sows how each of the three Potter children A) like their own kinds of specific foods and B) constantly antagonize each other for those food choices. It's lighthearted fun with just a few inserts from Ginny and Harry to maintain the food items on the list. Harry's lack of true awareness about James's personal habits and the subsequent hilarity from Albus and Lily is priceless and there's just so much fun like this in this piece! Do I really need to say any more? :D 

Second!

21 hours ago, facingthenorthwind said:
22 hours ago, MadiMalfoy said:

Second!

Third!

On 2/5/2019 at 11:37 PM, crestwood said:

Third! :wub:

• Alopex locked this topic

Archived