Login/ validation issues? Or need to contact us for any other reason? ×
FanficTalk

Best Short-Form Romance - Nomination Thread

TidalDragon

BEST SHORT-FORM ROMANCE

We all love a good love story, but sometimes it doesn't need many words to be effective. Maybe they're already on the verge. Maybe that spark develops quickly into something more. The author might be a master of manipulating time. This category is for those exceptionally-written romances that are less than 10,000 words.

To make a nomination, please use the form below:

Name of Characters:
Story Title:
Author:
Link:
Reason for Nomination:

To second or third, please quote the original nomination and post "Seconded" or "Thirded" as the case may be.

Please check the thread for nominations, seconds, and thirds before posting your own new nomination! Remember, you're limited to one (1) nomination (including seconding or thirding).

Name of Characters: Bill and Fleur
Story Title: Staring At You
Author: Javu / @Alwynse
Link: here
Reason for Nomination: This was a short and sweet look at the beginnings of Bill and Fleur's romance. Fleur is always having to deal with guys drooling over her, but what struck me about Bill here is that he just... doesn't. He's not like the others, and that's what catches her eye. This story centers around a flirty game they start to play with one another, and it's one of the most in-character, realistic Bill/Fleur stories I've ever had the pleasure of reading. 

Name of Characters: Minerva and Nicholai (OC)
Story Title: A Taste of Cherry
Author: M C Crocker  (@scooterbug8515)
Link: Click
Reason for Nomination: Take a vampire with a penchant for blood-pops, add a young Minerva McGonagall and simmer! This tale has all the right ingredients. Scooter shows a deft hand in teasing the reader as the romance slowly builds. It's also great to read about student!Minerva instead of Professor McGonagall. There's an air of vulnerability to Minerva at this age that helps heighten the tension. Overall lovely!

Guest Rumpelstiltskin
2 hours ago, Alexis Black said:

Name of Characters: Minerva and Nicholai (OC)
Story Title: A Taste of Cherry
Author: M C Crocker  (@scooterbug8515)
Link: Click
Reason for Nomination: Take a vampire with a penchant for blood-pops, add a young Minerva McGonagall and simmer! This tale has all the right ingredients. Scooter shows a deft hand in teasing the reader as the romance slowly builds. It's also great to read about student!Minerva instead of Professor McGonagall. There's an air of vulnerability to Minerva at this age that helps heighten the tension. Overall lovely!

Seconded  

Name of Characters: Albus Severus Potter/Scorpius Malfoy 
Story Title: how long? 
Author: @crestwood
Link: Clicky! 
Reason for Nomination: My goodness, this is just going to be me rambly-gushing, but Joey is peak Joey in this piece. It’s absolutely gorgeous! The imagery is spectacular, the word choice is beautiful, and the way he paints the picture of their love in just 2426 words is so, so, so well done, that you don’t just see it, you actually feel it. My reason for nomination cannot even do this masterpiece justice, because I cannot coherently form words to describe it. I HIGHLY suggest you all read it, regardless if you’re a Scorbus fan or not. It’s such a beautiful story of love, and it 1000% deserves the nomination. 

Name of Characters: James Potter, Lily Evans 
Story Title: Swipe Right, Swing Left
Author: @ShadowRose
Link: here+
Reason for Nomination: I knew I was going to nominate one of Taylor's jilys for this category but it was agonizing to pick just which one was my favorite. This story has it all. An instant connection, tinder cheesiness, angst, trying to resist the feelings for the sake of careers, reindeer antlers, EVERYTHING. It imparts important life wisdom such as the fact that Taylor Swift is for everyone. I was melted into a puddle of fluffy, happy feelings at the end of this. 10/10 would recommend. 

10 minutes ago, PaulaTheProkaryote said:

Reason for Nomination: I knew I was going to nominate one of Taylor's jilys for this category but it was agonizing to pick just which one was my favorite. This story has it all. An instant connection, tinder cheesiness, angst, trying to resist the feelings for the sake of careers, reindeer antlers, EVERYTHING. It imparts important life wisdom such as the fact that Taylor Swift is for everyone. I was melted into a puddle of fluffy, happy feelings at the end of this. 10/10 would recommend. 

Dammit Paula you got this one in before me!!

Seconding! 

14 minutes ago, PaulaTheProkaryote said:

3 minutes ago, Sleepingbagonthesofa said:

Dammit Paula you got this one in before me!!

Seconding! 

thirding!

Name of Characters: Lisa Turpin/Padma Patil/Sally-Anne Perks
Story Title: to dwell on dreams
Author: @Stella Blue
Reason for Nomination: while this is most definitely not a typical romance story, i just found myself entranced by the characters kristin created and their relationships, even if one of them is a ghost. the story is an amazing exploration of love and relationships, i was really drawn into it when i first read it (and i admit, i did a couple re-reads after that). the first part with the description of padma and lisa's relationship (love) is absolutely beautiful and i felt like i could really connect with padma. obviously, the story progressively gets sadder but ends on a hopeful note.

Name of Characters: Alicia Spinnet / Oliver Wood
Story Title: Moments Like This
Author: @adorably cute
Link: Here
Reason for Nomination: This is a prequel of sorts to Home and tells the story of how Oliver and Alicia fell in love, in a 'five times' structure. It's such a sweet and completely organic love story where they both keep bumping into each other due to their quidditch careers. Both characters are brilliantly crafted and are much more than just their love story. Beautifully written.

Name of Characters: Draco Malfoy and Astoria Greengrass
Story Title: Nuclear Love
Author: @starbuck
Link: +here
Reason for Nomination: kris writes these two characters so well. they're both haunted by the war in different ways, and the way that their relationship develops - and all the ways they help each other cope, even if not always in the healthiest of ways - is really incredibly done. it's not a fluffy sort of romance, but it's one of those perfectly imperfect relationships that you can't help but connect with. the last line - 'We’re going to be chaotic and messy and broken together.' - really hits at the core of why this romance works so well. 

2 hours ago, starbuck said:

Reason for Nomination: while this is most definitely not a typical romance story, i just found myself entranced by the characters kristin created and their relationships, even if one of them is a ghost. the story is an amazing exploration of love and relationships, i was really drawn into it when i first read it (and i admit, i did a couple re-reads after that). the first part with the description of padma and lisa's relationship (love) is absolutely beautiful and i felt like i could really connect with padma. obviously, the story progressively gets sadder but ends on a hopeful note.

Seconded!

2 hours ago, ShadowRose said:

Reason for Nomination: kris writes these two characters so well. they're both haunted by the war in different ways, and the way that their relationship develops - and all the ways they help each other cope, even if not always in the healthiest of ways - is really incredibly done. it's not a fluffy sort of romance, but it's one of those perfectly imperfect relationships that you can't help but connect with. the last line - 'We’re going to be chaotic and messy and broken together.' - really hits at the core of why this romance works so well. 

Seconded ! 

2 hours ago, ShadowRose said:

Thirded

3 hours ago, starbuck said:

Third.

7 hours ago, MegGonagall said:

Reason for Nomination: My goodness, this is just going to be me rambly-gushing, but Joey is peak Joey in this piece. It’s absolutely gorgeous! The imagery is spectacular, the word choice is beautiful, and the way he paints the picture of their love in just 2426 words is so, so, so well done, that you don’t just see it, you actually feel it. My reason for nomination cannot even do this masterpiece justice, because I cannot coherently form words to describe it. I HIGHLY suggest you all read it, regardless if you’re a Scorbus fan or not. It’s such a beautiful story of love, and it 1000% deserves the nomination. 

Seconded!! ? I'm so here for the Scorbus, and Joey's writing is amazinnggg!!! 

Name of Characters: Scorpius Malfoy, Louis Weasley
Story Title: Six Segments of a Satsuma
Author: @Aphoride
Link: click (T)
Reason for Nomination: 

This is a poetry which comprises six pieces of a mikan (satsuma). Laura thought of an unique story.  Even Malfoy's dark memory including Voldemort sounds beautiful wrapped up with her barrage of exquisite words. Life has the both sides just like satsuma tastes, sweetness and sourness. She concluded the destination of the poem as hope waiting for Scorp, his future will be brighter after darkness. At the last part with Louis, drizzle and others describing water or rain is very effective while Scorp tries to face himself. Like a small river on his back! I recognize Laura is a talented author.

19 hours ago, MegGonagall said:

Third! ❤️

Name of Characters: Lily Evans, James Potter
Story Title: Bake My Wish Come True
Link: Here (M)
Reason for Nomination: So this is going to be an odd endorsement, but I'm usually not a big fan of muggle AUs or of Jily. That said, Taylor may have converted me with this one-shot. It allows you to see Lily slowly fall for James...and as a skeptical reader, it also allowed me to see what she saw in him. Its made even better because it's set in a bakery and the descriptions of the pastries was incredible. Overall, it was sweet and fluffy and everything you want in a holiday romance. 

15 hours ago, TreacleTart said:

Name of Characters: Lily Evans, James Potter
Story Title: Bake My Wish Come True
Link: Here (M)
Reason for Nomination: So this is going to be an odd endorsement, but I'm usually not a big fan of muggle AUs or of Jily. That said, Taylor may have converted me with this one-shot. It allows you to see Lily slowly fall for James...and as a skeptical reader, it also allowed me to see what she saw in him. Its made even better because it's set in a bakery and the descriptions of the pastries was incredible. Overall, it was sweet and fluffy and everything you want in a holiday romance. 

Second!!

On 2/6/2019 at 4:50 AM, StarFeather said:

Name of Characters: Scorpius Malfoy, Louis Weasley
Story Title: Six Segments of a Satsuma
Author: @Aphoride
Link: click (T)
Reason for Nomination: 

This is a poetry which comprises six pieces of a mikan (satsuma). Laura thought of an unique story.  Even Malfoy's dark memory including Voldemort sounds beautiful wrapped up with her barrage of exquisite words. Life has the both sides just like satsuma tastes, sweetness and sourness. She concluded the destination of the poem as hope waiting for Scorp, his future will be brighter after darkness. At the last part with Louis, drizzle and others describing water or rain is very effective while Scorp tries to face himself. Like a small river on his back! I recognize Laura is a talented author.

YES YES YES YES YES.

This story is stunning and beautiful and you'll fall in love with Scorpius and Louis individually and together. ❤️❤️❤️ 

seconded

On 2/5/2019 at 9:02 PM, LadyMarauder said:

Reason for Nomination: This is a prequel of sorts to Home and tells the story of how Oliver and Alicia fell in love, in a 'five times' structure. It's such a sweet and completely organic love story where they both keep bumping into each other due to their quidditch careers. Both characters are brilliantly crafted and are much more than just their love story. Beautifully written.

Seconding!

On 2/5/2019 at 12:27 AM, ReillyJade said:

Reason for Nomination: This was a short and sweet look at the beginnings of Bill and Fleur's romance. Fleur is always having to deal with guys drooling over her, but what struck me about Bill here is that he just... doesn't. He's not like the others, and that's what catches her eye. This story centers around a flirty game they start to play with one another, and it's one of the most in-character, realistic Bill/Fleur stories I've ever had the pleasure of reading. 

second

On 2/8/2019 at 8:08 AM, nott theodore said:

Seconding!

On 2/5/2019 at 4:02 PM, LadyMarauder said:

Thirding!

On 2/4/2019 at 5:27 PM, ReillyJade said:

Third!

Archived