Login/ validation issues? Or need to contact us for any other reason? ×
FanficTalk

Best Original Fiction - Nomination Thread

TidalDragon

BEST ORIGINAL FICTION

Believe it or not, our archive isn't just about fandoms and the fic that flows from them. We've got some awesome authors writing excellent stories that are all their own. Read one (1) you think deserves recognition? Then shove it into the spotlight in this category!

To make a nomination, please use the form below:

Story Title:
Author:
Link:
Reason for Nomination:

To second or third, please quote the original nomination and post "Seconded" or "Thirded" as the case may be.

Please check the thread for nominations, seconds, and thirds before posting your own new nomination! Remember, you're limited to one (1) nomination (including seconding or thirding). 

Previous Winners:

• 2018: From by Stella Blue (Original Fiction)
  • 2017: Absolution by Rhaenyra (Original Fiction)

Story Title: We Lawbreaking Citizens
Author: @Rumpelstiltskin
Linkhttps://hpfanfictalk.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2154
Reason for Nomination: This story has created an utterly captivating and unique world as I have never seen before Rumpels is a master of her craft and she beautifully introduces a new world with wonderfully compelling characters who are growing and learning their own world right with you the reader.  The heart that is poured into the personalities is amazing.  We have LGBTQA characters who are ethnic and they just leap off the page as they deal with the world in which they live.  Once you start you'll be continuing to click next before you find yourself begging the author to post more.

3 hours ago, scooterbug8515 said:

Story Title: We Lawbreaking Citizens
Linkhttps://hpfanfictalk.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2154
Reason for Nomination: This story has created an utterly captivating and unique world as I have never seen before Rumpels is a master of her craft and she beautifully introduces a new world with wonderfully compelling characters who are growing and learning their own world right with you the reader.  The heart that is poured into the personalities is amazing.  We have LGBTQA characters who are ethnic and they just leap off the page as they deal with the world in which they live.  Once you start you'll be continuing to click next before you find yourself begging the author to post more.

thirded!

Story Title: Bram Stoker Be Rollin' in His Grave RN
Link: here+
Reason for Nomination: Bram Stoker might be rolling in his grave, but I'm rolling on the floor laughing. Truly ROFLing. Each chapter is a different one shot of spoofy vampire goodness and it's amazing. Rumpel is well known for her exceptional writing, but I feel like this one just really takes the cake. I especially love chapter one (Darktooth's Vampire Emporium) which is nothing but vampire advertisements, but they do tell a story and have some hilarious references. I also especially love chapter six (Sweet Fangs). IT'S A VAMPIRE ZOMBIE BAKERY MEET CUTE. You won't truly know genius until you read this. 

Story Title: To Boil Telephone Porridge | 煲電話粥
Author: @teh tarik
Reason for Nomination: nicole incorporates malaysian culture and 'manglish' in this story perfectly - while i was reading it i managed to udnerstand everything without understanding most of the expressions and i think that shows just how powerful this story about daniel and aizzat and kwai sim, daniel's mother, actually is. it managed to convey so much emotions that daniel felt during the course of the story and during his realisation and acceptance of his identity, and ultimately even depression because of his relationship with aizzat. it's a story that's at times hard to read because there's the feeling of oppression drawn through it but i couldn't stop reading - i had to find out what happens. i'm not sure i'm able to properly express everything that's amazing in this story. i love that it's gritty and realistic, incorporating news from malaysia that actually happened and the problems that the LGBTQA+ community faces, but in the end, i also love that daniel's mother seems like she is starting to accept him for who he truly is. and that he might let her at some point in the future. it doesn't have a happy ending but it does have a hopeful one.

Story Title: You Are A Light 
Author: @RoxiMalfoy
Link: Clicky! 
Reason for Nomination: This story is just heartbreaking. The MC is obviously in so much pain, but trying to be strong, because there is just so much ugliness in the world, and so many people she cares for are suffering in their own ways. You can feel that the MC tries to carry the weight of the world on their shoulders, and that they feel they need to be the one to fix everything, and everyone, yet their own mental health is suffering so much in the process. It’s beautiful writing, so raw, and so filled with emotion. I legit had tears in my eyes when I read it, and just wanted to hug the MC, and all of their loved ones, because of everything all of them have gone through, or are going through. I can’t stress enough how amazing Deana’s story is here. So beautifully tragic. It’s amazing. 

Guest Rumpelstiltskin
1 hour ago, MegGonagall said:

Story Title: You Are A Light 
Author: @RoxiMalfoy
Link: Clicky! 
Reason for Nomination: This story is just heartbreaking. The MC is obviously in so much pain, but trying to be strong, because there is just so much ugliness in the world, and so many people she cares for are suffering in their own ways. You can feel that the MC tries to carry the weight of the world on their shoulders, and that they feel they need to be the one to fix everything, and everyone, yet their own mental health is suffering so much in the process. It’s beautiful writing, so raw, and so filled with emotion. I legit had tears in my eyes when I read it, and just wanted to hug the MC, and all of their loved ones, because of everything all of them have gone through, or are going through. I can’t stress enough how amazing Deana’s story is here. So beautifully tragic. It’s amazing. 

Seconded.

On 2/6/2019 at 3:15 AM, starbuck said:

Reason for Nomination: nicole incorporates malaysian culture and 'manglish' in this story perfectly - while i was reading it i managed to udnerstand everything without understanding most of the expressions and i think that shows just how powerful this story about daniel and aizzat and kwai sim, daniel's mother, actually is. it managed to convey so much emotions that daniel felt during the course of the story and during his realisation and acceptance of his identity, and ultimately even depression because of his relationship with aizzat. it's a story that's at times hard to read because there's the feeling of oppression drawn through it but i couldn't stop reading - i had to find out what happens. i'm not sure i'm able to properly express everything that's amazing in this story. i love that it's gritty and realistic, incorporating news from malaysia that actually happened and the problems that the LGBTQA+ community faces, but in the end, i also love that daniel's mother seems like she is starting to accept him for who he truly is. and that he might let her at some point in the future. it doesn't have a happy ending but it does have a hopeful one.

Seconded

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:34 AM, PaulaTheProkaryote said:

Reason for Nomination: Bram Stoker might be rolling in his grave, but I'm rolling on the floor laughing. Truly ROFLing. Each chapter is a different one shot of spoofy vampire goodness and it's amazing. Rumpel is well known for her exceptional writing, but I feel like this one just really takes the cake. I especially love chapter one (Darktooth's Vampire Emporium) which is nothing but vampire advertisements, but they do tell a story and have some hilarious references. I also especially love chapter six (Sweet Fangs). IT'S A VAMPIRE ZOMBIE BAKERY MEET CUTE. You won't truly know genius until you read this. 

Seconded!

On 2/5/2019 at 1:15 PM, starbuck said:

Thirding. Without a doubt.

Story Title: I Hate Multicolored Days: A Day in the Mind of a Child With Autism
Author: @potionspartner
Link: click
Reason for Nomination: This story is brilliant.  It's so original and the protagonist is crafted so well; it's very easy to believe that we're seeing the world from the mind of an autistic child, through the kaleidoscope that the day is for them as they face different challenges.  It's warm, sweet, clever and wonderfully well written, and one of my favourite pieces of original fiction on the archives.

On 2/5/2019 at 12:34 PM, PaulaTheProkaryote said:

Third!

5 hours ago, nott theodore said:

Reason for Nomination: This story is brilliant.  It's so original and the protagonist is crafted so well; it's very easy to believe that we're seeing the world from the mind of an autistic child, through the kaleidoscope that the day is for them as they face different challenges.  It's warm, sweet, clever and wonderfully well written, and one of my favourite pieces of original fiction on the archives.

second :) 

6 hours ago, nott theodore said:

29 minutes ago, lovegood27 said:

second :) 

Third!

Story Title: The Forest Cottage 
Author: @MadiMalfoy
Link: +HERE
Reason for Nomination: 
This story is so whimsical and so beautifully crafted. The imagery that Madi uses to describe the forest and the cottage itself is so vivid and real - it’s like something straight out of a storybook. I love the overall fairytale feeling of this piece so much, it's got witches, and dragons, and tea! What more could you ask for?! Add to that the fact that she has done some incredible world-building in this piece, and given both of her OC’s some pretty interesting backstories as well, and I think you’ll see why The Forest Cottage is truly one of the best Original Fiction stories that we have here on our Archives. It really is such a beautiful piece of writing, and I just love it so much!! 

Story Title: Hey, Rajwa
Author: @dirigibleplums
Link: clicky+
Reason for Nomination: Plums wrote this piece as a way to not only release some of her own personal feelings and emotions with depression, but also to start a conversation about mental health, especially with the numerous tragedies happening in the news everyday. The stark personalism of this piece and the epistolary style gives it a rhythm almost. The snapshots of Rajwa's life as an eleven year-old to a nineteen year-old is done beautifully in that each one is different and highlights a different facet of her life and her friends and family. The message of it gets better with support and mental strength and toughness is definitely not lost on me, and it really had a strong impact on me ❤️ 

4 hours ago, RoxiMalfoy said:

Reason for Nomination: 
This story is so whimsical and so beautifully crafted. The imagery that Madi uses to describe the forest and the cottage itself is so vivid and real - it’s like something straight out of a storybook. I love the overall fairytale feeling of this piece so much, it's got witches, and dragons, and tea! What more could you ask for?! Add to that the fact that she has done some incredible world-building in this piece, and given both of her OC’s some pretty interesting backstories as well, and I think you’ll see why The Forest Cottage is truly one of the best Original Fiction stories that we have here on our Archives. It really is such a beautiful piece of writing, and I just love it so much!! 

Second! Madi's writing is gorgeous in this. ❤️ 

20 hours ago, RoxiMalfoy said:

Reason for Nomination: 

Third.

On 2/11/2019 at 2:40 AM, MadiMalfoy said:

Story Title: Hey, Rajwa
Author: @dirigibleplums
Link: clicky+
Reason for Nomination: Plums wrote this piece as a way to not only release some of her own personal feelings and emotions with depression, but also to start a conversation about mental health, especially with the numerous tragedies happening in the news everyday. The stark personalism of this piece and the epistolary style gives it a rhythm almost. The snapshots of Rajwa's life as an eleven year-old to a nineteen year-old is done beautifully in that each one is different and highlights a different facet of her life and her friends and family. The message of it gets better with support and mental strength and toughness is definitely not lost on me, and it really had a strong impact on me ❤️ 

Secondddd this is so good

• Alopex locked this topic

Archived