Login/ validation issues? Or need to contact us for any other reason? ×
FanficTalk

Writing about Space Adventures

Guest Tanda

Are you crazy about space fictions? Do you like "Andromeda" or "Star Wars" or "Gundam"?

How do you start writing about the fandom? Do you describe the outside of the space ship at first ? Do you prefer mentoning the main character's predicament to the others? Are you good at portraying the villain's power in the universe? Are there any romances? Have you ever seen Hayao Miyazaki's "Princess Kaguya"?

Let's talk about them!

Mm2tVAG.png

• 3 weeks later...

My space stories tend to be character driven rather than adventure driven.  This is sad, I know, since what's the point of using a space story if you aren't going to play with all the fun toys that genre gives you.  But I find it hard to feel knowledgeable about all the doohickies and things.  People, even alien people, are just easier.

I think character driven space stories would be pretty good. It would be interesting to see how it feels to live in a completely alien world, how does it affect their beliefs and relationships and so on?

• 3 months later...

My space stories tend to be character driven rather than adventure driven.  This is sad, I know, since what's the point of using a space story if you aren't going to play with all the fun toys that genre gives you.  But I find it hard to feel knowledgeable about all the doohickies and things.  People, even alien people, are just easier.

I honestly think that's a great way to go about it, and it's not sad at all. In fact I think it makes sci-fi stories a lot more relatable when they focus on characters - it's not so much about the situation the character faces in space that very few people can actually relate to, instead it's about how they react to it, a much more human element and that way readers can connect with it more.

To answer your original questions, Kenny:

I'm currently writing a HP fic partly set in space/on a spaceship, and I did go into a lot of the technical aspects of the spaceship - what it looks like, how it works, the lifestyle of crew onboard, and what the names for things are. Most of it is just modeled after actual ships (I used to work on a traditional style tall ship) and a lot of it I just made up because no one can tell me I'm wrong about space ships when they don't exist! :P

And I don't think a space story necessarily needs a villain, just like any story doesn't. The closest thing I have to a villain in this particular story is just the main character meddling with things and trying to fix it - like Jill described before, it's much more about the characters, and the space section of the story is a step in the main character's journey, so to speak.

I'm currently writing a HP fic partly set in space/on a spaceship

Oh, wait, Kristin, are you writing "a HP fic partly set in space/ on a spaceship"? !!! I'm eager to read that!

I find it hard to feel knowledgeable about all the doohickies and things.  People, even alien people, are just easier.
Jill, your characterization of the alien people is great. How could you analyze each character? The process must have needed deep observation. I can't stop admiring your work.

It would be interesting to see how it feels to live in a completely alien world, how does it affect their beliefs and relationships and so on?
Margaret, I'd like to read your space story related with Irish people's thinking way like the story, "At the Hawk's Well"  written by W.B. Yeats.

Archived