News Ticker

Ask a Staffer

WriteYourHeartOut

Modern Art... 

is back in the queue again ? sorry another error that needed to be fixed 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Ineke-dear! 

If anyone will be able to figure this out, it'll be you! I'm not sure what precisely is going on, but my new story+ is showing up as 1592 words, but in my Word Doc it's only 1023. It might be counting my spaces as words (the formatting is "unique" in this), and it's not a huge problem, but I'm curious either way. :) 

Hi, Validators,

I just posted my entry (due in the archives, validated, by March 31) for Finefrenzy_'s Slytherin-Centric Challenge.  It is entitled Nowhere To Go But Up.   Since I see that there are 16 stories in the queue right now, I expect that your fine crew will be validating them pretty soon.  But I thought I'd mention it, to request that you ensure that my entry does not miss the deadline.  My apologies for cutting it so close and putting you on the spot, but I ran into some timeline problems (see my sad lament in my Writer's Journal) and had to rethink what my entry was going to be. :S

Thank you very much.

Vicki

15 hours ago, Renacerá said:

Hi @Ineke-dear! 

If anyone will be able to figure this out, it'll be you! I'm not sure what precisely is going on, but my new story+ is showing up as 1592 words, but in my Word Doc it's only 1023. It might be counting my spaces as words (the formatting is "unique" in this), and it's not a huge problem, but I'm curious either way. :) 

Sooo I am absolutely uncertain about this, but I think this might def be the case here (though @toomanycurls or @abhorsen. might know for certain!), because the format is truly unique. It's the only explanation I would be able to give right now because I simply can't figure it out either...

3 hours ago, Oregonian said:

Hi, Validators,

I just posted my entry (due in the archives, validated, by March 31) for Finefrenzy_'s Slytherin-Centric Challenge.  It is entitled Nowhere To Go But Up.   Since I see that there are 16 stories in the queue right now, I expect that your fine crew will be validating them pretty soon.  But I thought I'd mention it, to request that you ensure that my entry does not miss the deadline.  My apologies for cutting it so close and putting you on the spot, but I ran into some timeline problems (see my sad lament in my Writer's Journal) and had to rethink what my entry was going to be. :S

Thank you very much.

Vicki

I can't make any promises aside from that we'll be doing our very best, but I would advise you to at least let the author know that it is in the queue, because I do see it in there, so they can take it into account! I think you should be good though (especially considering it's 5 days until the deadline)!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like it is counting the character code used (nbsp) as a word each time it is used. -_- Looking at the HTML for the page, I can see how it bumped the word count up by a lot. 

(very beautiful and creative format though!)

Guest Noelle Zingarella

789750947_Thankyouforeverything!.png.abd256847d00b0face4e4915f2b2623a.png

Dear Wonderful Validators,

I just wanted to say thank you for everything you do to keep things running round here. Especially since I'm in the process of reformatting my chapters because I was not computer savvy enough to know how to do it correctly the first time...Thank you for your time and your patience 

❤️

Noelle

I am so sorry just letting validators know that my Hidden Desires story is popped back in the queue because of an error in canon ??? so sorry xo

oh and that story in particular is coming up as 2533 word count but is supposed to only be 2486 or something like that(definitely below 2500 because it’s a collab story.)

Edited by Lacey Black

No problem at all, and don't worry too much about the wordcount - we know it's been a bit wonky!

• Like 1

Is there a way to link a chapter to TWO authors, not just a story, but each chapter ?

Hi friends!

Quick question: Should I include a Domestic Abuse advisory in my T-rated story, "Borrowed Time"? There isn't anything I would personally define as "abuse," but there's an unhealthy marriage in which the husband and wife yell at each other a lot and occasionally throw baubles against the walls and break them. Feedback would be much appreciated! :) 

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question that I haven't been able to find an answer for anywhere - Are members permitted to upload stories to the archives in screenplay format?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, dears. I have a question (apologies if the answer was already included somewhere :$ )

What advisories should I include if my story shows a house elf punishing himself and being mistreated by his masters (thinking of Dobby with the Malfoys)? I'm thinking possibly slavery and self-harm... maybe domestic abuse too... but I'm not actually sure if any of those would be appropriate/necessary. There's nothing extremely visual or triggering, anyway (I can PM the scene I'm concerned about, in case)

Thank you! :hug:

On 5/1/2019 at 12:19 PM, Felpata_Lupin said:

Hello, dears. I have a question (apologies if the answer was already included somewhere :$ )

What advisories should I include if my story shows a house elf punishing himself and being mistreated by his masters (thinking of Dobby with the Malfoys)? I'm thinking possibly slavery and self-harm... maybe domestic abuse too... but I'm not actually sure if any of those would be appropriate/necessary. There's nothing extremely visual or triggering, anyway (I can PM the scene I'm concerned about, in case)

Thank you! :hug:

Without anything extremely visual or triggering slavery and self harm make sense for the advisories. :hug:

• Thanks 1

Hey there you guys ❤️ I made an edit on details in my Hidden Desire story, very simply that Ron was prefect in fifth and keeper in sixth.

*UPDATE: Also fixed a slight mistake in She Could Always Tell ❤️ 

Thanks for all you guys do ❤️ 

Edited by Lacey Black
  • Like 1

There seems to be a problem with the first chapter of my story Weekend Fiancee (M) The first chapter (no matter which of the two is 'First') doesn't open and is labeled as '0', not '1' and the second is labeled '1'.

(First chapter, The Proposal, originally got rejected for a advisory left off, so I'm not sure if it got bugged in that way?)

Thanks in advance in checking this out.

juls

I personally can't see what went wrong here, but have you tried resubmitting the chapter (and then if needed, manually change the order of the chapters?)? Maybe that makes it work? And otherwise try and delete it, submit it again and then manually change it? I don't think I have any other explanation, really, but maybe @abhorsen. or @toomanycurls have any clue?

@Ineke I've attempted moving both chapters around - which ever becomes the lead chapter gets the '0' number and is inaccessible by clicking on it. 

53 minutes ago, juls said:

@Ineke I've attempted moving both chapters around - which ever becomes the lead chapter gets the '0' number and is inaccessible by clicking on it. 

And what if you edit the 0 chapter, wait for it to be re-validated and then try again?

• Like 1

i feel like i've seen a post or something about this somewhere but i can't find it :hmm: - what are the rules on using a foreign language in a story? i'm writing something that has a bit of greek interspersed here and there (not even full on conversations, mostly just some phrases) that i plan to translate in endnotes... is that allowed? is there a maximum, er, number of words that can be in a language other than english?

5 hours ago, Ineke said:

And what if you edit the 0 chapter, wait for it to be re-validated and then try again?

I’ll try that after work, @Ineke. Thanks

@starbuck - As long as it's not a huge part of the story and you have the translations in the end notes (which it sounds like is the case here 😛 ), that's totally fine! ^_^

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, starbuck said:

i feel like i've seen a post or something about this somewhere but i can't find it :hmm: - what are the rules on using a foreign language in a story? i'm writing something that has a bit of greek interspersed here and there (not even full on conversations, mostly just some phrases) that i plan to translate in endnotes... is that allowed? is there a maximum, er, number of words that can be in a language other than english?

Obv not a validator but I've tried to put Hebrew into the text editor before - you will need to transliterate it into Latin characters. The text editor is uhhh not happy with other alphabets. 

@Ineke I edited and out the chapter back into the queue- here’s to fingers crossed it works!

thanks!

Sorry for the double post - the chapter has been re-validated, and it still doesn't work. I tried to delete just that chapter, and it wouldn't delete (it came up as error), so I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks!