News Ticker

magemadi

magemadi

Okay folks so I did it!! I broke 12k words and officially won Camp NaNoWriMo!! :yay: 

I wrote two challenge entries and started a brand-new fic that I'm really excited about, so I would definitely say I had an extremely productive month! :D 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

MADI'S MESS OF JULY CAMP NANO YEAR FOUR

(featuring many, many StarKid gifs)

Hi folks! Welcome back to another installment of Madi attempts to finish certain fics and chapters in a month but instead gets horribly distracted by other projects instead! 

tumblr_mii6ftoQTg1r2cy4yo8_250.gif.d3187e43ffeb94d8a7cccd2fda9a1135.gif

This year's JulNo is brought to you by Peanut Butter S'mores: aka the creation that blew my fellow first-year PhD cohorts' minds at a beach bonfire we had at the end of the school year and is the official name of the cabin I created this go round. If you'd like to join my cabin, just let me know your offical Camp NaNo username and I can add you! ^_^ 

1736004449_tenorcopy.gif.94b42df01205b61c65479f256b6ab814.gif

Now I know what you're thinking. "Madi, didn't you have like four projects for April Camp NaNo and only do two of them?"

1063950797_giphycopy5.gif.d44d7e4b09550864d060dd519a82541d.gif

To that I say, shhh, it's not important that I totally didn't get two of my four things done because I got severely sidetracked by TGWDLM (StarKid) fic 👀

1432438649_giphy-1copy3.gif.80bed97e297760d43e4a088e7b95a6b7.gif

How am I going to stay on track this time? Well funny you should ask! Much like I've had in months and NaNo's past, I've created a beautiful spreadsheet to track my progress, along with using the official Camp tracker too.

1062088909_ScreenShot2019-06-26at12_36_41AM.thumb.png.45b22e58dc98ec8299f4e2515593d83b.png

COLORS ARE FUN AND HELPFUL I PROMISE!

tumblr_m81ijlwzop1rcftipo1_400.gif.c7ec35ced81c0491067f50db75af0020.gif

I've decided to set some...ambitious goals for myself this month. Here they are! 

WORD COUNT GOAL:  25,000 words

tumblr_ph2idppPZ21w9gkvno10_r1_250.gif.aec924e8e62e3c4467b1298f07d5300a.gif

PROJECTS:

1. Happy Is Inevitable (HPFT | AO3) [The Guy Who Didn't Like Musicals - Team StarKid]

Somehow Emma is saved from the Hive at the end of "Inevitable" and is taken far away from the Clivesdale Hospital by none other than the man she thought she knew before he started singing. Paul had saved her. Will they make it and be able to rescue all of their friends?

Currently 9 chapters and 24k words, according to AO3 numbers. Final chapter count will be 14, with an aim ending word count of probably 40k. 

Target word count: 15k words

2. Love Makes Me Chapter 22 (HPFT | AO3 | FFN) [Harry Potter]

The war is over and the Dark Lord has been defeated, but as the Golden Trio return to Hogwarts to complete their seventh year, the scars of the war remain. Hermione has been appointed Head Girl alongside Draco Malfoy. With an unknown threat lurking in the dark, is it possible they can build a new path that leads them all to something brighter?

Currently have 900 words of this chapter written, aiming for a total of around 4k for the chapter. 

Target word count: 3k words

3. Playing With Your Food Challenge Entry [Harry Potter?]

I have no idea what I want to do for this yet, but I'm thinking it'll be a fun time either way! 

Target word count: 3k words

4. Faith, Trust, and Crystal Balls Chapter 4 (HPFT) [Harry Potter]

Sybill is coddled by her family for being too 'fragile' to be on her own. She's never had a 'real' job. Her family doesn't take her abilities seriously, because of the tragedy that befell her grandmother Cassandra. So, armed with a handful of savings and more determination than talent, Sybill sets out to seek her own fortune...by telling the fortunes of others.

Currently 3 chapters and just shy of 9k words. I haven't touched this fic in almost a year...but this should be a quick thing to knock out. Aiming for 2k here. 

Target word count: 2k words

5. Other [The Guy Who Didn't Like Musicals - Team Starkid | Harry Potter | OF]

This is an extra category for all drabbles, ficlets, and other shenanigans I get up to writing-wise this month! 

Target word count: 2k words

That's all from me for now, folks! Please ask me questions about my projects or life in general, send me motivation & good vibes throughout the month! 

tumblr_pkjbvrfibJ1r4xlppo10_r1_250.gif.bb547f11a5f2b4a58a9530f0cde0dbb3.gif

LET"S GET WRITING!

• Like 1

HELLO MADI MY DEAREST PENPAL! ❤️

You have so many exciting projects going on! I need to ask many questions. You have been warned! :D 

Happy Is Inevitable / Other

1. I know you love Team Starkid. What gets you excited about their work? What do you especially love about The Guy Who Didn't Like Musicals?
  2. I have the impression that Happy Is Inevitable is an AU. (Yes?) Have you written an AU story before? What do you enjoy about it? What is challenging about it?
  3. A 40k story sounds awesome! Do you already have it all planned out, or are you plotting as you go?

Love Makes Me

1. I confess, I'm a terrible pen pal because you've written 21 chapters of this already and I don't think I've read any of them. The shame! The trouble is, I am not a huge Dramione shipper. Sell me on the ship! Ready, set, go! :D 
  2. Which character is more fun to write, Hermione or Draco? 
  3. Has anything surprised you or gone differently than you expected in writing this story?

Play With Your Food Challenge Entry 
Since you're still brainstorming this one, just some questions to get your thoughts rolling.

1. What is your favorite food to make? How did you learn to make it? (Can you send me the recipe? ;) )
  2. Have you ever read a book or a fic where the descriptions of food or cooking stood out to you? Why do you think food is important to a story?
  3. What is the most memorable meal you've ever eaten, for any reason? I.E. maybe it's because of the people, or the food, or the location, up to you!

Faith Trust, and Crystal Balls
I am SO HERE for you to continue with this fic! It's so original and fun, and also really under appreciated in my opinion! ❤️ 

1. If you could see into the future, would you want to?
  2. What made you want to write about Sybil's story?
  3. Sybil at the start of this fic is pretty optimistic about the world, if I remember correctly. She's pretty different from that in Harry's time, and I find that transformation super believable and interesting. It makes me wonder - how do you imagine her experience of the first war?

I'm so proud of the progress you've made so far. Keep writing, and know that you are amazing! :bighug:

• Like 1

RENEE OMG THESE ARE SUCH LOVELY QUESTIONS YOU WONDERFUL PENPAL ❤️ 

On 7/3/2019 at 8:35 PM, MuggleMaybe said:

Happy Is Inevitable / Other

1. I know you love Team Starkid. What gets you excited about their work? What do you especially love about The Guy Who Didn't Like Musicals?
  2. I have the impression that Happy Is Inevitable is an AU. (Yes?) Have you written an AU story before? What do you enjoy about it? What is challenging about it?
  3. A 40k story sounds awesome! Do you already have it all planned out, or are you plotting as you go?

1. Honestly I've been a fan of them since I was like 13 (wow, this dates me lolol) when they did the A Very Potter Musical series -- it was a funny, dirty, comedic take on HP that called out some of the plot holes and other bad (read: real bad/shitty) things JK wrote canonically. They do such a great job with character arcs in all of their shows and give them so much life and dimension, and the musical aspect of that makes it that much better. Plus they're all very talented and attractive people so 🤷‍♀️ 

I think what I love most about The Guy Who Didn't Like Musicals is that I can relate so much to it as it's set in the Midwest?? So like, a lot of the little things the characters do are very similar to things I do (a majority of the actors are themselves Midwesterners, too) and I think this is just plain and simple their best show yet. Is it possibly because they've dived into the horror-comedy side of things now? Maybe. Is it also just because the music is banging? Quite likely. So yeah, I think it just speaks to me as their second "original" musical that it really really works. Also, the relationship between Paul & Emma and how it develops over the course of the two hours is great and realistic and I just love them as a couple and they deserved better, dammit!! (no spoilers :PIDK if this is what you wanted but here you go lol. 

2. Happy is Inevitable IS an AU, yes! It's an Everybody Lives AU bc **SPOILER ALERT** it's a horror-comedy show so basically everyone dies oops 😬 I have written several AU's before -- mostly Harry/Hermione Muggle AUs but that's very different as those were typically prompts I used to base the story off of. This AU is challenging in that it's more of a "Fix-It" AU where I'm saying screw the ending, they deserved to have this ending instead type thing. I like this because it's allowing me to throw my own theory out into the universe about the ending of the show and also integrate the songs from the show in a way I didn't even start realizing I was doing until about 4 chapters in when I got a comment about it!

3. Lol and to think this was originally going to be 10-15k 😁 I have the general idea of where I want things to go -- it helps that I'm also using the song titles as some inspiration for each of the chapters! I've got 5 chapters to go and a happy ending for all involved to write, so that's really all I have "planned out" -- there's some drama still for these next two chapters for sure. 

Love Makes Me

1. I confess, I'm a terrible pen pal because you've written 21 chapters of this already and I don't think I've read any of them. The shame! The trouble is, I am not a huge Dramione shipper. Sell me on the ship! Ready, set, go! :D 
  2. Which character is more fun to write, Hermione or Draco? 
  3. Has anything surprised you or gone differently than you expected in writing this story?

1. Hey that's okay because I haven't re-read them in months either 😛 For me, Dramione is something that has good potential due to their similar intelligence and magical skills. Both can teach each other a lot about being muggleborn/pureblood and overcoming said prejudices. Draco seems like a much better foil to Hermione than Ron does based on character traits alone, and the ship is also a bit fantastical when looked at with a canon perspective, which is always fun!

2. Ooh don't make me choose!! :P I'd say Draco because a) I'm not a male and b) he's a dramatic boy and that's just a lot of fun to write, honestly. 

3. Oh definitely! This is my second re-write (third writing overall) so there's been quite a few changes and surprises from those changes along the way. I think I've also accidentally been weaving in a secondary mystery subplot to my primary subplot without realizing it in the last five or so chapters that are up?? So who knows how this will all end, lol. 

Play With Your Food Challenge Entry 
Since you're still brainstorming this one, just some questions to get your thoughts rolling.

1. What is your favorite food to make? How did you learn to make it? (Can you send me the recipe? ;) )
  2. Have you ever read a book or a fic where the descriptions of food or cooking stood out to you? Why do you think food is important to a story?
  3. What is the most memorable meal you've ever eaten, for any reason? I.E. maybe it's because of the people, or the food, or the location, up to you!

1. I have to admit I'm much more of a baker than I am a chef :D I got this delicious brownie-marshmallow-chocolate-peanut butter-rice krispie dessert recipe from a coworker and it is the most delicious thing ever! I don't have a link handy anymore but damn if it's not the best thing ever. Basically it's a brownie bottom layer, then marshmallow fluff, then mixed together chocolate, peanut butter, and rice krispie cereal on top, chilled in the fridge and then served in bite-sized chunks! 😋

2. Yes, actually! In The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers she describes food quite a lot because it's actually alien cuisine but it all sounds quite good, which is a unique challenge and she executes it extremely well! Food is important to a story because it reminds us that characters need to pause and have sustenance, and it gives them more depth and also allows for some quiet world-building too when food is present as it provides more context for where the characters are/where they come from based on the food they eat or they reminisce about. 

3. Honestly I don't even know if I have one I can think of?? If anything, I haven't had a memorable meal in a while (lol, #gradstudentlife) but one I can think of off the top of my head is probably my birthday dinner with family in 2018. I'm a triplet but for some reason my brother couldn't be home for the weekend so it was my parents, myself, my sister, and her boyfriend and we pregamed with wine at home before going out to a nice restaurant where we proceeded to have MORE wine and delicious food and dessert. It was the most fun meal in a while during my senior year of undergrad that I'd had, so I think that's why it sticks out. ^_^ 

Faith Trust, and Crystal Balls
I am SO HERE for you to continue with this fic! It's so original and fun, and also really under appreciated in my opinion! ❤️ 

1. If you could see into the future, would you want to?
  2. What made you want to write about Sybil's story?
  3. Sybil at the start of this fic is pretty optimistic about the world, if I remember correctly. She's pretty different from that in Harry's time, and I find that transformation super believable and interesting. It makes me wonder - how do you imagine her experience of the first war?

Renee, I am so hoping I can knock this out just for you ❤️

1. Absolutely not -- I have a crippling fear of death and therefore would like to not know the future especially as it pertains to my not being in it (but we don't have time to unpack all of that). Also, I'd like to see what we can do as a human race now, in the moment, to help out Mother Nature a little bit and just live the experience rather than know how it's going to play out because then what is it all for, amirite? 

2. This was a story that @Pixileanin requested I write way back when on the old HPFF forums you could have a thread where people could drop story ideas they had but didn't want to/have the time to write and you could take a crack at them. This was one of those from Pix ❤️ 

3. Ah YES THIS IS A GOOD QUESTION. Her experience during the First War definitely jars her -- being a shop owner and also trying to navigate adulthood while a war rages on just outside your home is very difficult to do. Being so far from her family and not being able to go into hiding with them (this is me projecting, who knows it might spawn a one-shot companion piece to this now, thanks Renee :P) hardens something in her, and her optimism about the world gets brutally destroyed when her shop gets vandalized by teenage Death Eater wannabe purebloods just because she's a half-blood. So it's rattling for her, 100% and she doesn't have the safety net of her family anymore and her Seer skills possibly get a bit "damaged" from the emotional trauma she goes through, hence her prophecies not being believed hardly at all anymore during Harry's time. 

RENEE these were the most wonderful questions and no regrets on writing you essays for like half of them :hug: 

• Like 1

Renee asked all the important questions, but I'll slide in with a few of my own!

1. You seem like you're having a productive NaNo! What's your ideal writing conditions? 

2. Do you write to music? White noise? Silence? 

3. Are there any scenes you're struggling to write right now?

4. How's NaNo going?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, crowsb4bros said:

Renee asked all the important questions, but I'll slide in with a few of my own!

1. You seem like you're having a productive NaNo! What's your ideal writing conditions? 

2. Do you write to music? White noise? Silence? 

3. Are there any scenes you're struggling to write right now?

4. How's NaNo going?

Paula! Your questions are important too!:hug:

1. I was doing great and then we had the 4th and I did a LOT of socializing and thereafter had to recharge my social batteries so I didn't write for a couple of days, but I'm trying to get back on track tonight! My ideal writing conditions are either in my big overstuffed armchair + ottoman or on my living room couch with a warm cup of tea (fight me, coffee-lovers!) and either broadway or Starkid music in the background ^_^ 

2. Oops I already answered this 🙈 Yes I write to music!! It often helps inspire whatever scene or story I'm writing, so it's very helpful for me imo!

3. Well considering I'm about to finish a chapter, probably not :P But I will say this: I've been avoiding Ch 22 of LMM for months (aka since November NaNo) because I can't figure out where I want to go with it :/ Here's to hoping some inspiration strikes later this month!

4. It's going pretty well -- my spreadsheet is beautiful and colorful and I've got lots of people (like yourself) motivating me to write so it's all around a great time! :D 

Thanks for the lovely questions, Paula! ❤️ 

• Like 1

Update time now that we're a third of the way through the month! 

Current word count as of 12 pm PST today: 7485

Written so far:

Happy is Inevitable - Chapter 10 has been written and posted on AO3 & HPFT -- word count was 3704 words. 

Other - Finale writing - Week 3 Position blurbs + Week 4 Triple Crisis Drabbles -- word count was 1937 words total.

Currently working on: 

Happy is Inevitable - Chapter 11 is in progress, currently sitting at just over 1800 words, should get about 1000 more for this chapter. Planning to start chapter 12 ASAP.

Other - Finale writing - Week 4 Debates rebuttals to positions by the other campaigns, should be another few hundred words for this week. 

I'm happy with where I'm at so far -- right on track! I want to try and get ahead by a day or so if possible though, so that's my goal for the rest of this week -- write more like 1000-1200 words each day to build up a buffer for a day or two later this month when I can't write. Here's to more writing! 

TameChillyClownanemonefish-size_restricted.gif.3bdf5c794b7550653ef348baa8c9f3f6.gif

Guest Noelle Zingarella
On 7/8/2019 at 3:11 AM, MadiMalfoy said:

I got this delicious brownie-marshmallow-chocolate-peanut butter-rice krispie dessert recipe from a coworker and it is the most delicious thing ever! I don't have a link handy anymore but damn if it's not the best thing ever. Basically it's a brownie bottom layer, then marshmallow fluff, then mixed together chocolate, peanut butter, and rice krispie cereal on top, chilled in the fridge and then served in bite-sized chunks! 😋

This sounds like the best thing ever...

On 7/11/2019 at 1:36 PM, Noelle Zingarella said:

This sounds like the best thing ever...

Here's the recipe+ (M to be safe bc internet)! I typically do it in a 9x13 pan, but I think a smaller size gives a better, thicker brownie layer. 😋

Also, update time!!

Happy is Inevitable Chapter 11 has been finished and posted on AO3 & is in the queue on HPFT! Final word count: 3136 words

Happy is Inevitable Chapter 12 is about 500 words written right now, and it's just now settling in that I've got 3 chapters to wrap this story up, and I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it 😭 

Other - wrote more finale stuff these last couple days and will definitely be counting all of my reviews this week as part of my word count! 

• 3 weeks later...

Whoops it's been a while...so here's an update! 

Current Word Count: 17,998

Happy is Inevitable Chapter 12 is now posted!

Happy is Inevitable Chapter 13 is currently being written! 

Didn't get any writing done earlier this week due to the finale final week being literally the worst thing ever but hey I did hella participate in that so 🤷‍♀️

Hoping to still make my 25k goal -- will likely write a LOT these last few days in order to do so, but I believe I can do it!

Hey Madi!  I hope that your sanity is finally recovering after last week's terrors :P Here with some questions for you!

1. I know you're a big fan of Dramione, but you've also written quite a few Scorose stories.  Do you find your characterisation of Draco and Hermione differs very much when you write the different pairings?

2. I absolutely loved Snapshots.  Besides the challenge, what was the inspiration behind that story?

3. You've written quite a lot of different characters and pairings.  Are there any that you surprised yourself with writing?  Any that you'd like to write in the future?

4. If someone was new to your work, which of your stories would you recommend that people try?

5. I'm so excited for your OF stories! What's been the biggest challenge so far, if any, in writing OF instead of fic?

6. What have you found most fun so far about the worldbuilding for your OF universe?

7. Are there any themes or issues that you've noticed play big roles in your stories, even if you don't plan to write about them?

• Like 1

With 15 minutes to spare, I officially completed my goal of 25k words AND have finished my TGWDLM novella!!! (timidly, there’s a couple bits I’m going to tweak over the weekend but still) 

This has been kind of a crazy JulNo from a great start to a slump in the middle and then the frenzy of the House Cup Finale really kicking in the last week or so, but I learned how much I can really punch out if I need to and that it’s not all about editing either. Posting this novella sans edits has been refreshing for me and definitely helped me grow as a writer (this month especially) so here’s to a successful Camp JulNo and to a completed novella!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ahh @nott theodore thank you so much for these wonderful questions!! ❤️ 

1. I know you're a big fan of Dramione, but you've also written quite a few Scorose stories.  Do you find your characterisation of Draco and Hermione differs very much when you write the different pairings?

Oh yes it differs a lot! The primary way they differ when I write Dramione vs Scorose is that Draco & Hermione are never together when I write Scorose -- it's just too close for me to feel like it's okay :P As far as how I characterize Draco and Hermione when writing them as parents of Scorpius & Rose versus them as a couple, they are, at their bases, the same people. Both are very intelligent, strong, and extremely talented with magic, and are also very stubborn. When they're the parents of Scorpius & Rose, I give them more wisdom on House hatred and such because I like to think they've learned a lot in the years since the Second Wizarding War and since becoming parents, so some of the hatchet is buried, so to speak. 

2. I absolutely loved Snapshots.  Besides the challenge, what was the inspiration behind that story?

Omg thank you so much ❤️ The challenge was definitely the catalyst for this story, but I think I've always wanted to try my hand at epistolary writing. It's been done very well by others on HPFT (I can't think of them atm but I know I've read fics with epistolary elements!) and in fiction works, so the idea to write Snapshots as a series of letters between Rose and Hermione just seemed to fit perfectly with my desire to try out this new writing style!

3. You've written quite a lot of different characters and pairings.  Are there any that you surprised yourself with writing?  Any that you'd like to write in the future?

Oh boy, I've surprised myself with plenty! I definitely think I surprised myself with Andromeda Black & Ted Tonks in my Great Collab piece with @facingthenorthwind, and also my Frank & Alice Longbottom for the Great Collab as well. I think that's mostly to do with the fact I've rarely written Marauders (or earlier) era before, so it was a new area of canon for me to explore! Ooh, I'd love to actually write some Founders era, and maybe even some Fantastic Beasts Era characters!

4. If someone was new to your work, which of your stories would you recommend that people try?

Uhhh that is a seriously tough question to answer! I would say to be most up-to-date with my writing style, they should check out Culture Shock or A Letter is Like Immortality!

5. I'm so excited for your OF stories! What's been the biggest challenge so far, if any, in writing OF instead of fic?

So the biggest challenge is definitely finding time to actually sit down and do some major worldbuilding that needs to happen before I can dig in and start writing my actual novel. Also just worldbuilding in general as I go -- I've written 2 OF pieces now (for challenges) and while writing those I was kind of making things up as I went along, so now I need to make sure I can weave in the stuff I dropped in those into the larger frame of work. 

6. What have you found most fun so far about the worldbuilding for your OF universe?

The freedom! I can have dragons and witches and technology and science all together and it's my universe so I say what goes :P 

7. Are there any themes or issues that you've noticed play big roles in your stories, even if you don't plan to write about them?

Hmm I used to definitely get more angsty in my writing, but lately it's been more mysterious (or so I've been told 😜) or action-filled and character-driven arcs in longer pieces. I'm looking forward to tackling more overt themes in a few challenge pieces I have coming up, so here's hoping I can keep growing and adding new unintentional themes/issues into my stories! 

Thanks again for the questions, Sian! 💕

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

MadiMalfoy's Novel Nest

Welcome to another edition of "Why does Madi never have just one thing she's working on during NaNo?" 

This is because I am terrible at sticking to deadlines I give myself and also because I just like to take on A LOT of things at once, so, still, it's my own fault 😂 

Anyway, welcome to my novel nest for this year! 

TOTAL WORD COUNT GOAL: 20,000 words

This is double what my goal was last year, but I am also significantly less busy this time around compared to 2018 as I'm only taking one class and I'm not teaching, so my evenings are primarily my own, so this seems achievable to me. 

PROJECTS:

1. Sci-Fi OF Screenplay - I've just recently gotten an idea for a sci-fi screenplay where there's two scientists on a research vessel out in deep space, where their higher-ups want them to make contact with the indigenous populations on the surface of a planet they've just discovered. Mystery and hijinks are sure to abound! 

Word Count Goal: 8k 

2. Love Makes Me - At this point, this is the same project I've worked on for NaNo since my first time doing this, so it's only fitting that it's still on here, right? :P As per usual, would love to get a couple more chapters out of this. 

Word Count Goal: 4k

3. Challenge Entries - I've got a couple things I need to get written this month for challenges -- an entry for @TidalDragon's Knockout Challenge, and an entry for @Noelle Zingarella's Wizard Tales from Many Lands Challenge. Both will probably be relatively short, but still gotta get them done ;) 

4. Friendly Correspondence - I started this for @just.a.willow.tree's Epistolary Challenge and decided I actually wanted to expand upon it with the three other seasons, so here's to hoping I can get those three chapters done this month as well. :) 

This is a lot to take on (when do I not, though?) but I hope that by having the option of working on multiple things I won't get into a creative rut halfway through the month and not be able to reach my goal. At any rate, I'd love any questions y'all have and cheering me on is always appreciated ❤️ 

Edited by MadiMalfoy
  • Like 3

Well I only started writing on Day 4, but I've already got nearly 1900 words, most of which is for Chapter 2 of Friendly Correspondence! I'm aiming to finish that tomorrow night and get it posted too, if all goes according to plan. If I can write another ~1300 words tomorrow, I'll be on track for 20k no problem. :) 

• Like 2

Wow guys I have done A LOT tonight! 

I got a few words down for my Wizarding Tales challenge entry -- it's a nice start, and I think I'll take a look at my beedle the bard book tomorrow for some more inspo to finish that guy up. 

I also wrote and finished 2 scenes & started a 3rd (total of 4 so far) of my sci-fi screenplay! I broke 4k words, and I'm actually just a bit ahead for tomorrow already! Here's to having another very productive night of writing tomorrow! 

• Like 2

Hello! Dropping in to say hello! (And probs not much else, lol)

On 11/2/2019 at 4:12 AM, MadiMalfoy said:

Sci-Fi OF Screenplay

Um. I am very, very excited for this! I would be following the production of this film from like day 0, which I feel like I am, since I get to support you writing it. I am a huge Star Trek fan, and I may be projecting, but I'm getting mad Star Trek vibes from the summary of this screenplay, and I am so HERE FOR IT.

On 11/2/2019 at 4:12 AM, MadiMalfoy said:

this is the same project I've worked on for NaNo since my first time doing this, so it's only fitting that it's still on here

Haha, I am in a very similar boat to you, working on an ever-present NaNo project! One of these days, we'll get there with it!

I was also going to check in to see how you're faring one week into NaNo, but it sounds like you're doing great! Hope the rest of the month goes just as well!

2 hours ago, 800 words of heaven said:

Um. I am very, very excited for this! I would be following the production of this film from like day 0, which I feel like I am, since I get to support you writing it. I am a huge Star Trek fan, and I may be projecting, but I'm getting mad Star Trek vibes from the summary of this screenplay, and I am so HERE FOR IT.

YOU ARE SO LOVELY OMG ❤️❤️❤️ There's definitely some Star Trek influence, along with inspo from a YouTube series by an actress/writer I follow/support called SONA+ (M bc YT) that you should totes check out btw. I've got about 4 scenes written so far (I also don't know how the hell a screenplay works, so who knows what this will actually turn out to be) 

2 hours ago, 800 words of heaven said:

I was also going to check in to see how you're faring one week into NaNo, but it sounds like you're doing great! Hope the rest of the month goes just as well!

So far so good, regardless of my first three days being zero writing (tbf, my boyfriend was visiting all weekend, so I planned for that). I'm hoping to get ahead with some stuff tonight as I know later in the month I'll have a few days where I probably won't be able to write much, if at all. 

Thanks for the support and for stopping by!!! ^_^ 

• Like 1

Well, it's been a hot minute! I'm just going to drop off all of my recent story updates since my last one which was in....April. Buckle up, folks 😅

Recently Posted:

Challenge Entries

Culture Shock (A) - HP | New Minister of Magic Hermione Granger has plans to shake things up at the Ministry with reforms she campaigned for, but what kind of resistance will these ideals bring about? (written for @Ineke and @crowsb4bros's Millennials Ruin Everything Challenge) 

The Wedding (M) - HP | Hermione Granger was more than happy to attend her coworker's wedding, but when she gets sat next to Draco Malfoy of all people at the reception, she can't imagine having a worse night. Her feelings may change with just a little song, dance, and wine though. (written for @Renacerá's Dramione Challenge)

Tell Me a Story, Says the Youngling (A) - OF | Long before humans arrived to the world, dragon clans lived harmoniously with each other. It took many cycles for them to come to peace with the humans. Now that peace is fragmenting, and the youngling Eirraphe must do what he can to survive. (second place in @Tanda's Dragon Tale Challenge)

Fake It Til You Make It (M) - HP | Scorpius is fuming after an explosive prank from Albus, and he comes up with the perfect plan to get him back. Enlisting Rose as his partner in crime, they assume it'll be the greatest prank of the century to come out of the Weasley-Granger-Potter clan, but some things just don't go according to plan. (written for @down-in-flames's Faking It Challenge)

The Dancing Fairy (A) - HP | Katie Bell doesn't expect her Saturday night out to change from the way it's gone the last five weeks. Alicia Spinnet is willing to bet she can change that. (third place in @grumpy cat's Pick Up Line Challenge)

Working (A) - OF | Just ask. (written for @Chemical_Pixie's Feminism is for Everyone Challenge)

Friendly Correspondence (A) - HP | A tale told through Hermione and Viktor's letters after the events of the Triwizard Tournament and beyond. (written for @just.a.willow.tree's Epistolary Challenge)

House Cup Related Works

Mistakes and Milestones (M) - HP | James is suspicious of Lily and Remus being together so often, but it all works out in the end, even better than Remus could have hoped for.  (Round 3 of the House Cup 18-19 Great Collab)

Crisis Mode (A) - HP | Squib Protests. Cheating Scandal. Crime Syndicate.  What the campaign of Leo Calistair has to say. (House Cup 18-19 Finale)

Escape from the Department of Mysteries (w/ @potionspartner) (T) - HP | Four women attempt to escape the Department of Mysteries when they're not even sure why they are there in the first place. Can they make it out by sunrise? Only time will tell. (House Cup 19-20 Halloween Event)

Other Fic

Happy Is Inevitable (M) - The Guy Who Didn't Like Musicals, Team Starkid | Somehow Emma is saved from the Hive at the end of "Inevitable" and is taken far away from the Clivesdale Hospital by none other than the man she thought she knew before he started singing. Paul had saved her. Will they make it and be able to rescue all of their friends?

Currently Writing:

• Sci-Fi OF Screenplay
  • Love Makes Me
  • Knockout Challenge Round 1 entry
  • Wizard Tales from Many Lands Challenge entry
  • Faith, Trust, and Crystal Balls
  • Like 2

Okay folks, another update because I did several things over the last few days! 

1. I wrote & posted my entry for @Noelle Zingarella's Wizard Tales from Many Lands Challenge! A Land of Myth, and a Time of Magic+

2. I broke 11k words!! This puts me at least 4 days ahead of my current goal, and I'm hoping to even surpass that based on the flow of my screenplay so far and what I've got started for my KO Challenge entry. 

• Like 1

Ooooh, a screenplay! That sounds exciting. I have a couple questions about that.

1. How is writing a screenplay, to you, different from writing fic?

2. What gave you the idea for a screenplay?

3. How did you come up with the idea for Friendly Correspondence?

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 9:02 AM, Lost_Robin said:

Ooooh, a screenplay! That sounds exciting. I have a couple questions about that.

1. How is writing a screenplay, to you, different from writing fic?

2. What gave you the idea for a screenplay?

3. How did you come up with the idea for Friendly Correspondence?

Sorry it's been so long since you posted these, but here are my answers!! ❤️ 

1. It's so different in two ways for me: 1) primarily dialogue-based, with minimal narration (mostly just for actions & settings) and 2) formatting is just so different!!

2. Honestly, I'm going to have to say @crestwood's screenplay that he's started posting made me think I could write one of my own, but I also just kinda wanted to try something new, so it's a mix of both. 

3. Friendly Correspondence came about because I had distinctly remembered that scene in the end of GoF where Viktor tells Hermione to write to him, so I just really wanted to expand upon that! I knew they'd stayed friends throughout the rest of the books -- he was at Bill & Fleur's wedding & danced with Hermione there, so it only seemed natural to write some of their correspondence that I'm sure Hermione started immediately after returning home from school. 

Thank you so much for these questions!! ^_^ 

UPDATE TIME!!

I broke 16k tonight, putting me 5 days ahead of my 20k goal. I have also started a Waitress (Musical) fic (RIP ME) so there's that. The screenplay is coming along well, and I've got just under 2k written for the KO Challenge, so I'm hoping to finish that fic & tidy it up in the next couple of nights. Yay for starting new projects (AGAIN) mid-NaNo month!! 🤷‍♀️

Woohoo another milestone for me! I broke 18k the other night, and last night I finished my entry for the Knockout Challenge (round 1) and got that into the queue! 

I posted the first chapter of my Waitress fic on AO3 (it's in the HPFT queue right now) and have plans to do some writing for LMM the rest of the month to see what the heck I can do to finish that beast up, for real this time. 

***YA GIRL HAS OFFICIALLY DONE IT!!!!***

I broke 20k words tonight, officially hitting my goal this year for NaNo, and I am super proud of myself for doing it two days early! This month has actually been a really good one for me, writing-wise, and I'm hoping to carry this momentum with me into December and the new year/decade.

I'll still be writing the last two days of this month, but I don't have to stress about making my goal, so I'm really happy!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello! I thought I would drop by with some questions for your wishlist! :)

1.  After reading A Letter Is Like Immortality, I gotta ask: what’s your inspiration for writing a minor character like Audrian Pucey? Are you considering writing him into another works apart from that? :D
2. What is one of your writing goals that you accomplished this year? What do you hope to accomplish next year if possible?
3. What’s your favorite word and or phrase that you ever wrote in any of your stories and or fanfictions? Why?
4.  What’s a Broadway play that you personally never saw but would love to go see one day?
5.  What’s your favorite thing about the holidays? Do you have any holiday traditions that you partake in every year? If not, would you like to start a holiday tradition someday? What did you do for the holiday season that you enjoyed this year?

Edited by starlitcastles
wrong title of the fanfiction and forgot a word